Tiagra 4700 vs 105 7000
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020

Tiagra 4700 vs 105 7000

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, so... hello. I've done some road riding in the past, way back when I had an early 90s Eddy Merckx, but my main passions were MTBs and trials (the hoppy kind) riding.
    Very sadly, I have been out of the world of biking for a long time, and want to get back into it in a semi-serious way (like riding an hour or two most days). I'm looking into bikes, and see the different components that are out there. I am familiar with the Shimano hierarchy, and know that 105 is respectable stuff that a lot of weekend warriors race on. I see that complete bikes with the Tiagra are hundreds of dollars cheaper than bikes with 105, and wanted to know if there is a big difference, and if that difference is worth the money. I do know that Tiagra is 10sp and 105 is 11sp, that honestly doesn't make much difference to me.
    I'm curious about weight, functionality and durability differences between the groups.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Roving Tim View Post
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, so... hello. I've done some road riding in the past, way back when I had an early 90s Eddy Merckx, but my main passions were MTBs and trials (the hoppy kind) riding.
    Very sadly, I have been out of the world of biking for a long time, and want to get back into it in a semi-serious way (like riding an hour or two most days). I'm looking into bikes, and see the different components that are out there. I am familiar with the Shimano hierarchy, and know that 105 is respectable stuff that a lot of weekend warriors race on. I see that complete bikes with the Tiagra are hundreds of dollars cheaper than bikes with 105, and wanted to know if there is a big difference, and if that difference is worth the money. I do know that Tiagra is 10sp and 105 is 11sp, that honestly doesn't make much difference to me.
    I'm curious about weight, functionality and durability differences between the groups.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me!
    The price differences you see are a combination of the cost of the components (all the components, not just the Shimano stuff) and the frame. Tiagra bikes have cheaper everything - frame, wheels, bar and stem, tires, and so on. New, out of the box, you might not sense much difference between Tiagra and 105, but it will show up over the longer term as durability comes into the picture. If you are going to ride a couple of hundred miles a week, definitely spring for the "105 bike" and all that that implies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Hi Kerry,
    Thanks for the input, I have not looked at Tiagra stuff in person, but it's good to have some info on it.
    The two bikes I am looking at now are both from Canyon, and the only difference between them is Tiagra vs 105 componentry. It's a 300gram, 400-dollar difference. Given that is the case, do you think it's worth the extra $$?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    In other words, Canyon is charging a mega premium for 105 componentry. The price difference of a complete Tiagra hydraulic group on eBay is 400 bucks, while 105 costs 650 there. Canyon adds another 400 bucks or so to the price of an otherwise identical bike, for components that cost 150 dollars more, pocketing 250 bucks for basically nothing. Wish I were Canyon!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Are u sure that is the only difference?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Pretty sure. The site has a "compare" button that lets you put several bikes' spec sheets in a line up against each other. And the only difference I see is in the groupset. Everything else in the tables is the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have always considered Shimano components as 3 tiers:

Dura Ace: best
    Ultegra: good
    105: cheapest but works

Tiagra is yet a level below that.
    I would go with 105 if you can swing it.
    Generally $1 per gram of weight is considered worthwhile so you would be paying just slightly more than that. Of course 300 grams is not going to make a big difference in performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    I have heard the one dollar per gram of savings figure, but isn't that for aftermarket stuff? One shouldn't have to pay the same money for that for OEM stuff. Well, if I were Canyon or whoever, I would also overcharge people for the same thing. That's how the world works.
    I did some bargain hunting and saw that an NOS 105 5700 10sp cassette costs 40 bucks and weighs 100g less than Tiagra 4700.
    Replacing the 4700 crank with NOS 5700 costs 110 dollars and saves 140g. A full-on modern 7000 crank (which will work I think, but be a bit "off" because of the narrower 11sp rings) saves fully 200g.
    So it might be an option to get the Tiagra bike and then upgrade with one or both of these lighter parts. It's a bit wonky, but costs around 200 dollars less than the full 105 bike.
    Probably I am going to test ride some bikes with 7000 and 4700 on them to see what differences I can feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Actually, it seems the dollar per gram figure is true for OEM.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    You did not identify which bikes you were looking at, but, I checked the Canyon website and found the Endurance AL Disc 7.0 with R7000 weighing 8.72kg on sale for $1599 (discounted $100). The Endurance AL Disc 6.0 with 4700 weighing 9.04kg for $1399. All other components were the same. Are these the bikes you were considering?

For $200 I'd choose the Endurance AL Disc 7.0 with R7000. You get an extra gear (tighter gearing), save 320 grams and will be cheaper to upgrade components in the future. Also, don't forget to add labor costs when upgrading (as per your post #8) unless you can do the work yourself.

Are you planning to do all your own maintenance? There are LBS who will not work on mail-order bikes, some charge a premium and some have no problem. Some LBS offer accessory discounts at the time of bike purchase and offer free 'REGULAR' tune-ups for life. Have you considered this?
    Last edited by ngl; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    Yes, I was comparing those two bikes. I don't see the 100-dollar discount, maybe there is some kind of regional pricing?
    For a two-hundred dollar difference, the rationale for getting the cheaper bikes does evaporate.
    I can do some of the work myself, I have a chain whip and cassette lockring tool to put on the new cassette. I am not sure about the cranks, that is a possible sticking point because I don't know if 105 cranks (esp. new ones) are plug and play with a Tiagra bb.
    That's logical that an LBS won't work on mail order bikes, if I were an LBS owner I would have the same policy. I just don't have that strong of a relationship with any LBS here.
    I will do my due dilgence and see what aluminum 105 bikes from LBS here cost.
    Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. I have been out of the sport for a long time, unfortunately and am itching to get back in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Just a thought. You should also factor in resale value. If you ever decide to sell at some point, the resale value will be higher with the 105 vs Tiagra.