tiagra shifter broken???
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

tiagra shifter broken???

Right I am having a bit of a problem, I have just installed new gear cable to rear derralier and the shifter moves but the cable doesnt?, I had a look at the shifter and I think were the cable goes in there is a piece of metal missing not sure please help It is the older tiagra 9 speed was purchased 6 years ago dont want to fork out hundreds of pounds for new shifter as they seem to be the most expensive part of the groupset.

Edit, Just had another look and it looks like the metal part inside the hole in the shifter has either broken of?, or moved slightly, so the end of the gear cable isnt moving when I move the levers, are these things repairable how do they dismantle?.
    Last edited by animal74; 08-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Was it working before you replaced the cable?

Did you route the cable and housings correctly and take all of the slack out of the cable before attaching it to the derailleur?

Use the derailleur setup and adjustment instructions found at Parktool.com.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Was working maybe I have damaged something that was on its way out, will take to bike shop tommorow to see what the 'crack' is, looking at 160.00 to replace didnt realise shifters were so expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Are referring to ferrules? Did you use ferrules at the end of the cable that is connected to the shifter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    If you pull/push the cable back out a bit, on Tiagra you should very clearly be able to see the mechanism working (or not if it is broken).

As far as repairable, they are (in spite of what Shimano say), however the parts aren't available. But you should be able to get one off eBay for a lot less than 160GBP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by animal74 View Post
    Was working maybe I have damaged something that was on its way out, will take to bike shop tommorow to see what the 'crack' is, looking at 160.00 to replace didnt realise shifters were so expensive.
    Last time I broke an integrated shifter, I threw some plain brake levers on the bike and switched to downtube shifters. Available for $35 USD. Probably a little lower figure where you are. I have the SLR 90.

But, I don't know that it's necessary to replace them. Click the smaller, release lever a bunch of times and see if everything lines up more nicely so you can run your cable. As Tiagra shifters take up tension, the drum that the cable wraps around moves within the housing and the place where the cable needs to go in gets obscured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Had a look on ebay and havent got any of the older 4400 right shifters, would the newer 4500 shifters work with my rear der and front der?.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Ok update have managed to get it working, I put the cable in when the rear was at the highest i.e the lowest cog on the back, went out in torrential rain(wasnt raining when I went out), still think its broken but will do for new and saved me 167.00.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Yes, ST-4500 shifters will work. They're 9-speed, and number of speeds is the important match.

But I wonder if your shifter is really broken. When something stops working immediately after installing a new component, the cause is almost always installation error. Can you get the cable back out and start anew with good instructions in hand?

You posted while I was writing the above. I now see you got it working. Yes, clicking the shifter all the way down before inserting the cable is an absolute must.
    Last edited by wim; 08-25-2012 at 03:53 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Worst case is I have a set of Tiagra shifters that I can play let's make a deal with...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I know this is an old thread but I'll try here.

Just went for a ride and had to adjust my front derailleur so I got back and worked on it. I realized I still had some tension in the front shifter so I hit the paddle to lower the chainring. I should have thought about it when I was putting a lot of pressure on it but, I didn't. The shifter well, shifted, and just didn't sound right.

Now if I push the paddle or push the brake handle, nothing happens at all. I took the shift cable off to see if that was affecting it but no avail. Either way to shift doesn't let me go too far, but nothing happens. I'm guessing I just killed my shifter.

Oh yeah, it is coming off of a 2001 Trek 2000. I'm not the first owner, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the second either. I am assuming these are the shifters that came on the bike in 01.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    At eleven years, they've done their dash.

You can try flushing with WD-40. But it certainly sounds like something inside broke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBearB4 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'll try here.

Just went for a ride and had to adjust my front derailleur so I got back and worked on it. I realized I still had some tension in the front shifter so I hit the paddle to lower the chainring. I should have thought about it when I was putting a lot of pressure on it but, I didn't. The shifter well, shifted, and just didn't sound right.

Now if I push the paddle or push the brake handle, nothing happens at all. I took the shift cable off to see if that was affecting it but no avail. Either way to shift doesn't let me go too far, but nothing happens. I'm guessing I just killed my shifter.

Oh yeah, it is coming off of a 2001 Trek 2000. I'm not the first owner, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the second either. I am assuming these are the shifters that came on the bike in 01.

Thanks.
    I had this exact thing happen to me. See this link and this one for how it turned out.

Good Luck
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I hit them with WD-40 last night pretty hard (might as well do both right?) and have been letting it sit. I'll check it again tonight and repeat for a few days.

I've also read that the shifters are notorious for breaking the cable inside the shifter, so I'll pull the cable out tonight and see what happens.

I'm hoping you're not right AndrwSwitch, but I'm thinking unfortunately that they are finally done. The odometer says 1300 miles so either they broke really early, or it has been reset. I know there are plenty of people that buy a bike and ride it for a season and that's it. So let's hope that the bike really only does have 1300 miles on it and the shifters are just gunked up/dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    1300 miles isn't many at all. And I think it's actually use, and exposure, that wears out shifters. I probably had at least ten times that on a set I wore out, including a couple of Seattle winters.

I don't know that I think the information on the odometer on a bike is very useful. I go back and forth about even having one, and don't bother to re-enter the mileage if I change the battery. So it's not representative on my bike, not by a long shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Ah, I miss Seattle, lived outside of there for 6 years. I would kill to go back, although the wife wants to keep moving around.

I'm new to this game so I didn't even realize changing the battery would resest the odometer. I figured it would be like a car but, I suppose you can take it off if you want and that isn't really possible in a vehicle.