Ticking Sound

Thread: Ticking Sound

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005

Ticking Sound

On a group ride a week ago, some riders I was with noticed a ticking sound coming from my bike. I didn't hear it, but my ears aren't the best. several of my companions heard it, and told me it only happened while I was pedaling.

For me, it's unacceptable to have my bikes make any noise at all, except for the tires on the pavement. When I got home, I wrenched on the bike, but couldn't find anything that made noise. I checked spokes, pedals, seat, bottom bracket, stem, bars, derailleur pulleys & alignment front and rear, cleats...nothing. Then yesterday I found it. We rode an 80 mi. ride. As we were leaving, I glanced down & back to see what rear cog I was in. When I did, I noticed that the heel of my right shoe was touching the crank arm. A very small cleat adjustment fixed it.

Ya just never know.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have bad hearing also...if I can hear a clicking noise on my bike, it has to be pretty bad...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Had a tick one time that drove me nuts. found out it was the front deraileur cable, got bent down and the crank hit it every revolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    There's at least a hundred possible causes of ticking sounds. Glad you found your so easy.

Oct 2008
    Yes, cleats, watch out for them! Had a similar ticking, turned out to be one of the screws from a cleat had worked loose and was rattling around on the pedal (till i unclipped and it fell out!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    i recently had a "sound" too. it was a small section of chain i added when i changed front gear size. one link was pinched a little too tight and was sticking to the rear cassette as it passed around.

could be a bomb too.......maybe not