Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Titanium pedal threads in Al cranks sorta stuck..problem...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hairscrambled 
#1 ·
Okay, okay. I may have goofed when using blue loctite when threading my Time impact Ti/Mag pedals onto chorus cranks. Trying to take them off last night, and they aren't moving. Yet.

1) Get the right tools. Pedro's makes a 6mm pedal wrench for this reason, should I just look at a Park Y wrench?

2) I need to get alot of leverage into this without wrecking the tool and keyway in the pedal. Probably I'll take it off and clamp it somewhere.

3) Any other preparations (freezing, blowtorch) to un-freeze the threads?

4) Next time: Would I have had more luck using grease? What is a specific Ti preparation that should be used?

5) Any design ideas to make some art-deco lamp out of a chorus drive-side crank and a Time pedal, let me know! It might be for sale, cheap.

#2 ·
oh, man, are you hosed!

Threaded ti-al interface leads to welded connections due to some highly technical electro-chemical reaction that you don't need to understand. It's magic! Suffice it to say that depending on how long the pedal has been on, it might be a one piece connection by now.

There is a specific goop to use in the future called Ti-prep, and you should use it. A small tube is available from bike outlets under that name, a lifetime supply for you and everyone you will ever know is available from auto supply shops (called something different though) a lot cheaper.

As for what to do, try a BABB (big ass breaker bar). I use an old steel MTB handlebar fitted over an allen wrench, which has never failed me. If that does not work, get a longer bar. A REALLY long bar!

You can TRY heating or freezing, it can't hurt in moderation, although I don't know if the difference in thermal expansion between the two materials is great enough to matter. Avoid the blowtorch. Try boiling water/iced salt water first.

#3 · (Edited)
heat and additional torque if possible.....

heat helps make loctite soften, don't remember the temp, but it it should be at Loctite's web site...though blue loctite is not that strong so it probably isn't the main problem. I'd heat the crank arm in the oven rather than using a torch to avoid damage Also, torque is additive, so if it is possible to get a wrench on both sides of the pedal at the same time that will help a lot, maybe try that first before using heat FWIW the right stuff to use on pedal threads is anti-sieze, you can get it at any auto parts store....and you could also get a set of 3/8" drive metric allen wrenches (nice to have in any case) there too so you could use a ratchet wrench or breaker bar ....anyway, good luck.

#5 ·
Heat source

To make sure you don't wreck anything when applying heat, the safest thing to do is get a dish rag or washcloth dripping wet and then cook it in the microwave. Handle with care, and wrap that thing around the crank (avoid touching the pedal axle). Then apply as much torque as you can muster. And remember, right pedals are right hand thread, left pedals are left hand thread!

#8 · (Edited)
ukiahb has it exactly right! Titanium is a very grabby metal that tends to cold sieze. Before ever installing ti pedals you must use anti-sieze. That's what Time states in thier manuals. If you ride the bike alot I'd remove the pedals and re-apply anti-sieze every month. I lost a pair of Time ATAC Ti pedals and a Truvativ crank learning this. Right into the dumpster.

Sorry this doesn't help your situation now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.