Tool Inventory: What else is needed?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Tool Inventory: What else is needed?

Sorry for the cruddy photo, first of all.. (Cell phone)

Well, here's my current tool set for general blah and cycling. My pops still has some of the more-heavy duty/powered equipment that I borrow..

Can you guys think of anything that might be a necessity other than what I have so far?:
    • Cassette lockring remover

• Cartridge BB tool

• Cog brush

• Chain rivet extractor for UG/HG/IG

• Cable cutters

• Multi-size spoke wrench

• 3 nylon/fiber glass tire levers

• 2 in 1 cotterless crank remover

• Chainring nut wrench

• 1.5-10mm hex key set

• Torx 25 hex wrench

• Phillips 2 screwdriver

• Slotted 5 screwdriver

• 15mm pedal wrench

• Cone wrench set 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19mm

• Hollowtech 2 BB wrench

• More screwdrivers

• SAE & Metric Socket sets

• SAE & Metric open-wrench sets

• Pliers, adjustable wrenches, socket screwdriver, assorted blades/razors, hammer, tape measure, ruler, marker

I'm thinking a chain whip, and a better spoke-wrench set? Anything else?
    Last edited by lalahsghost; 10-22-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That pretty much covers it unless you're into frame repair. A couple of things that I consider essential are a repair stand, and a wheel truing stand. If you have to make a choice, definitely get the repair stand 1st. It should be a decent one, but doesn't have to be super expensive.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    That pretty much covers it unless you're into frame repair. A couple of things that I consider essential are a repair stand, and a wheel truing stand. If you have to make a choice, definitely get the repair stand 1st. It should be a decent one, but doesn't have to be super expensive.
    I've been thinking on a DIY repair stand... but any sub $100 repair stands you would suggest? I see they're great to be used as 'holding' stands too, when getting ready for crits and races right outside of your vehicle. ( http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...20_152crx.aspx ) ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Der Hanger Straightener (pays itself off after two trips to the shop), seatpost/fork saw guide, Hacksaw, lockring tool, spoke tensiometer

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    I would definitely get a chain whip, a torque wrench and a workstand.

For myself, some kind of headset press, a crown race setter, a brass or aluminum punch (for knocking headset cups out and crown races off), and a star nut setter would be nice, though not critical. I like building bikes, and find that the headset tools are pretty hard to do without.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hacksaw is on my to do list, and I already have a lockring tool for shimano/sram. Debating Torque wrench is on my list too.... Its just these are investments, and I'm on a college student working an entry level (part time) city job salary...

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by lalahsghost
    Hacksaw is on my to do list, and I already have a lockring tool for shimano/sram. Debating Torque wrench is on my list too.... Its just these are investments, and I'm on a college student working an entry level (part time) city job salary...
    Well, you can get pretty durned far with what you have, as long as you have any special tools your bike needs--typically the drivetrain stuff: bottom brackets, lockrings, etc, which is sounds like you have covered.

I think a torque wrench is important, but not as much so if you're just adjusting things and not taking it all apart.

A workstand is a massive time and aggro saver. So if you really have little money, I'd say save up for a halfway decent stand and nothing more.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Chili hed & old bike fixr
    Park spoke wrenches , loop style, multi-sizes are usually not near as good

Tourist
    a few things
    1. chain whip is important indeed
    2. for hollowtech 2, the wrench that you have works but is not practical. I have the small shimano TL-FC33 and a LONG leverage bar with 1/2inch end. As a side use, I can use it as a weapon :-)
    3. if you do any work on frames, headset press, headset cup remover, crown race setter and remover, derailleur hanger alignment tool (I don't have one)
    4. very important: grease (general-purpose will do fine), your favorite lubricant, electrical tape, teflon tape.
    Last edited by Pierre; 10-20-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Anything on 2 wheels
    "headset press, headset cup remover, crown race setter"

yes, indeed!

The crown race remover if too expensive for what it does. Most of the time a punch tap can do the job. A home made version of this tool would be handy though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Since my questions have been answered to my utmost satisfaction regarding basic stage 1 or 2 (as zinn would put it) home tools go, I thought of a few more...

File! Darn those cables!
    some kind of pokey jabby pick for the cables, to open them...
    Floor pump - Which I have
    A pair of locking adjustable pliers could be nice for something.
    A table vice!

Any other casual home tool suggestions? (trying to make this a thread for future reference for others)

Does it matter?
    some kind of pokey jabby pick for the cables, to open them...

an awl to open up the housing end, but you could use a large nail, also try and cut the housing with a scrap piece of cable in the housing when you make the cut, that way you don't crush the end so much

Aug 2008
    Another vote for torque wrench. If you have carbon fiber items, then get the 1/4" and a 3/8" drive beam type. If you don't have carbon fiber stuff, then just a 3/8" drive which you can get for fairly cheap.

zac
    RoadBikeReview Member
    -work stand (I prefer the bb support type over the clamp stands, but get whatever works for you)
    -Good quality waterproof grease.
    -box of glue brushes (or flux brushes) available at any woodworking or plumbing supply type store. Use to spead grease.
    -Torque wrenches: You need to be able to handle from ~4 to 70Nm
    -You don't need the SAE socket stuff, except for 1" and 15/16" for the BB and Lockring tools. But a good 10" or 12" adjustable wrench is good too.
    -Chainwhip. Lockring tool is useless without one.
    -13/15mm offset (right angle) cone wrench.
    -8mm Long handled allen key wrench. Not all pedals use a 15mm pedal wrench.
    -Park shop tire lever. Stretching/Seating a very tight clincher (Miche Pro3 or Conty GP4000S) by hand on a big rim is doable, it is just easier with this tool.
    -Chain Lube, your favorite flavor
    -Small squeeze bottle of Tri-flow
    -Locktite 242 and 246
    -Tacx carbon assembly compound
    -Chain cleaner fluid or Simple green
    -Chain cleaner tool
    -Small bottle of Clear nail polish
    -Small plastic squeeze bottle of baby powder
    -Sharpie
    -box of zip lock baggies, freezer style sandwich size. They have the writing label on them.
    -box of cotton shop rags
    -Q-tips
    -Couple of empty jars of Skippy Peanut butter, (or any wide mouth container about a quart in size) This will fit most bike components for cleaning.
    -tooth brush
    -3 gallon pail (Cat litter container, or drywall container) to keep your bike wash stuff
    -eco-friendly concentrated cleaner to wash bike
    -natural bristle brush (to scrub drive train) (get at any professional paint supply store)
    -natural sponge
    -Spray can of Pledge (any flavor) to wax bike after wash & dry
    -electrical tape
    -floor pump
    -headset tools (already mentioned) But for what they cost, getting your LBS to do your headset change is probably cheaper.
    -truing stand (don't get cheap, it is worth getting a good one)
    -spoke tensionometer (The Hozan one is fantastic, but a bit pricey)
    -dishing tool: you can get away without a dishing tool if you have a high quality truing stand (The Park TS2 or the Hozan) or unless you are a wheel builder, then you need a bunch of other tools too.
    -black handled Park spoke wrench, (seem that it will handle 50%+ of all nipples.)
    -Hozan lockring tool (if you do FG or any older stuff, this tool is indispensable)
    -pin spanner tools (just one of those tools that if you need it, you can't fake it. There are several sizes.)
    -rubber headed mallet (maybe even a dead blow mallet) get rid of that claw hammer, those things scare me around bikes. Drop one on any high end frame (you pick the material with the possible exception of Ti) and be prepared to cry.

EDIT
    -tool box to keep all your tools
    -get rid of those star point closed end box wrenches, those are good for your car, but not your bike. You should replace them with a set of regular closed end hex box wrenches. The softer metals on some of the alloy nuts will get chewed up by those star pointed ones.

zac
    Last edited by zac; 10-22-2008 at 05:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Camera that focuses properly, or new eyeglasses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    Camera that focuses properly, or new eyeglasses.
    Sorry for the cruddy photo, first of all.. (Cell phone)
    >.>;;