torque on Easton EC90 Aero for Stem and Brake levers
    RoadBikeReview Member

torque on Easton EC90 Aero for Stem and Brake levers

Hello,

I can't seem to find in the Easton Website the torque values for tightening the 4 bolt stem and brakes.

My brakes are Campy Record Red and Deda Zero 100 4 bolt stem. I think the most fragile part are the Handlebars are they are carbon.

Hope you can give me the values.

Thanks!

Francis

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    But they have taperwall! They can't cave in!

I'd say 6-8 N*m but that's just me. Usually you should go with the stem manufacturer's recommendation, and the handlebar manufacturer should make a bar that fits into the "average" stem recommended torque specs.

This is why handlebars don't have torque values (the ones I've seen carbon and alu), it's a stem issue.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    But they have taperwall! They can't cave in!

I'd say 6-8 N*m but that's just me. Usually you should go with the stem manufacturer's recommendation, and the handlebar manufacturer should make a bar that fits into the "average" stem recommended torque specs.

This is why handlebars don't have torque values (the ones I've seen carbon and alu), it's a stem issue.
    My Sette Avanti Carbon handlebar has 9Nm printed right smack in the middle of it. I'd start low, and increment by .5 (at least that's what the profile design t2 manual says about the max nm not being enough).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the same question because I've recently purchased an Easton EC90 Aero carbon handlebar and I can't find anywhere any specifications regarding Newton meters for torquing. I've emailed easton a couple of days ago but still no response.

My stem (cannondale C3) requires 6Nm and my brake-shift levers (shimano 5700) require 6-8Nm. I've currently used 6Nm and 7Nm respectively.

Is this torque too much for the carbon handlebar? Should I untighten them and use less, like say 5Nm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I believe Easton says that you torque it to what the stem and levers requires. For me it was 5Nm for a Ritchey stem and around 60in/lbs for Red shifters.

Took about 5 seconds but here you go: EC90 Aero Bar (Road) - 40/42/44/46 CM | Easton Cycling

At the bottom under "Installation Instructions" page 2 I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CAADEL View Post
    I have the same question because I've recently purchased an Easton EC90 Aero carbon handlebar and I can't find anywhere any specifications regarding Newton meters for torquing. I've emailed easton a couple of days ago but still no response.

My stem (cannondale C3) requires 6Nm and my brake-shift levers (shimano 5700) require 6-8Nm. I've currently used 6Nm and 7Nm respectively.

Is this torque too much for the carbon handlebar? Should I untighten them and use less, like say 5Nm?
    I got a response that day when I had a torque question on my stem. Email them again.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    Took about 5 seconds but here you go: EC90 Aero Bar (Road) - 40/42/44/46 CM | Easton Cycling

At the bottom under "Installation Instructions" page 2 I believe.
    I do have the instructions printed in paper. They've come with the handlebar. But they only say "Torque the stem handlebar clamp bolts as specified by the stem manufacturer.". This is too vague since different stem manufacturers have different specifications while the handlebar remains the same...

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I got a response that day when I had a torque question on my stem. Email them again.
    Two hours ago I got a response from Easton. This is what they say:
    "The torque for the stem must be used. The bar is just fine with 6Nm. Thank you and have a great day."

So I'm going to loosen a little bit the brifter clamp.
    Last edited by CAADEL; 02-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.