track hub/ build question

Jun 1999

Question track hub/ build question

Want to build a rear wheel with a Campy Pista track hub. I got the specs from the retailer as follows:

"The flange diameter at the spoke holes is 44 mm.
    The center-to-flange numbers are: right - 31mm; left - 35.5 mm"

The problem is that I thought track hubs were symmetrical, meaning same length spokes on both sides. The ENO fixed hub I just built has the same "center-to-flange" number for each side.

I'm confused. Can anyone makes sense of this? I'm trying to determine spoke lengths (Open Pro, 3x) I'd rather be an idiot here than to bug a retailer with another stupid question.

Thanks.

Doug

Feb 2004

Single sided track hubs are not always symmetric

Since they thread on one side only the drive side flange is closer to the center of the hub unless the manufacturere moves the left flange in to compensate. Dual sided hubs, fixed/fixed and fixed/free are symmetric. The assymetry here is small though and the spoke length difference should be less than a mm, and will likely end up being the same when rounding to the nearest whole number. Just use a spoke length calculator to be sure.

Jun 1999

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunchpail
    Since they thread on one side only the drive side flange is closer to the center of the hub unless the manufacturere moves the left flange in to compensate. Dual sided hubs, fixed/fixed and fixed/free are symmetric. The assymetry here is small though and the spoke length difference should be less than a mm, and will likely end up being the same when rounding to the nearest whole number. Just use a spoke length calculator to be sure.
    The offset seemed significant, but as you say, when you run the calcs the differences are close. Here's what I come up with, using 602 as the ERD ( http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/index.cgi )

left 293.7
    right 294.2

I had no idea it would be that close. Looks like 294's all around. Thanks.

Doug