.je
    Lizard Person

Trainer, what is making this noise?

This is a Ascent / Travel Trac fluid trainer, that until last winter was working flawlessly. It went in the garage to be used there, and as soon as the weather turned cold, it started this click noise. It was brought back indoors, but it still makes this sound:

A stronger click seems to able to be felt on the drive side of the resistance unit.
    It's hardly audiable at low roller pressure, but that's the lower limit of being usable, and surely it will get worse. I suspect it is bearings that need service or replacing.

Any ideas what to do?
    Last edited by .je; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Throw it out. They're not user serviceable. But since it's bad, it won't hurt to try taking it apart to see if you can get it to a level where you can remove the bearings and order replacements.

I suggest you buy a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or a Cyclops. Both are higher tier trainers with more reliable parts.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    To my mind, the sounds are too short and too sharp to indicate a defective bearing. They remind me of fan blade tips lightly contacting the shroud of an all-metal window fan. My guess is some sort of intermittent metal-to-metal to contact. It could be in the resistance unit or in the flywheel attachment area.

Check the screws on the resistance unit housing for tightness. In the flywheel area, look for a small hole with a set screw at the bottom. You may be able to tighten the flywheel providing there's a larger screw or nut on that flywheel. Loosen the set screw just a bit. Tighten the large screw or nut on the flywheel and retighten the set screw. Not all trainers have the flywheel attached this way, so I'm just guessing here.
    Last edited by wim; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, it doesn't sound like a bearing to me. Does it do it once per revolution? Wonder if a mouse or bug stuck something in it for you? Maybe shoot some compressed air in all the nooks and crannies and see if something comes out.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

.je
    Lizard Person
    Removed the flywheel (doesn't do much), maybe this video might help:

I sprayed some Pro-Link on the surface of that bearing, but that, of course, didn't change anything.
    Looking at the video, it seems almost like the click is once per revolution, but not every revolution.
    Last edited by .je; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Almost sounds like groups of 3 clicks, then pause - and like you said follows rotation for the most part. . Hmmmmm, that's a good clue but I can't decipher it - I would either ride as is or if to annoying take it all apart to investigate further. Betting you can figure it out taking it apart.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett