Trek Madone handlebar cracked - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    yes he did
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    then he got screwed... period!
    Yep, that's total BS if they sold him the bike. I would absolutely expect them to eat the labor - I would never do business with that shop again, and I would badmouth the crap out of them all over town too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Now not to bag on Trek, but this is my buddy's 2019 Emonda after a dropped chain, with the chain catcher too! Somebody earlier made a little joke why my buddy would consider a simple steel bike with rim brakes, well this is one reason. Light, fragile, carbon frame:

This was from a chain drop?? What a train wreck! This sure looks like another Trek FAIL to me. Totally unacceptable. I have had a few chain drops on my Cannondale Synapse Carbon where the chain was sucked between the small ring and the frame. The paint was stripped clean, but the carbon underneath was perfectly sound.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This was from a chain drop?? What a train wreck! This sure looks like another Trek FAIL to me. Totally unacceptable. I have had a few chain drops on my Cannondale Synapse Carbon where the chain was sucked between the small ring and the frame. The paint was stripped clean, but the carbon underneath was perfectly sound.
    yep, from a chain drop. The good news is that a local repair shop here said this can be fixed for $300, and he'll match the black matte paint free of charge.
    The Emonda is a light frame, i'm guessing ~800g for size 54. Light and durability don't go well together.

But I also know another guy, this guy is a big boy around 180-190 lbs, who rode a Specialized Tarmac, and in a sprint, he hit a pothole (while on full gas), traveling speed was about 38 mph, and he cracked a chainstay. Specialized wouldn't warranty it (understandable). But he got it repaired by the local carbon repair shop here also for $300. But now he's on a steel Cinelli Vigorelli for crits, yeah the Cinelli is 2000g heavy, but he's big boy racing crits, and never gonna outclimb anyone regardless of bike weight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well light frames sacrifice weight somewhere, it's a choice, that weight comes from less material so thinner tubes. Chain drops happen even with a chain catcher, and that kind of damage could very likely be from the rider trying to pedal through it or rough house it out without stopping and taking time to unjam it. I've dropped the chain a number of times on my 6.0 Domane frame and never had a problem like that, but I stop and get it unjammed rather than muscling it around backpedalling etc. Not saying the rider screwed up necessarily, but I would say people shouldn't own the super lightweight frames unless they want to deal with the inherent problems / risks.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Another example of Trek’s “quality control.” So many issues with these Trek bikes. Eating bottom brackets like Tic Tacs is common.
    Things happen, after the BB replacement I've put another 28,000 miles on this frame with only replacing 1 other BB bearing in that time frame (1 not both sides) so very very happy with Trek's quality.

What was important to me at the time was the shop I bought it from took care of it fast, no questions and zero cost to me, very very happy with the shop and Trek (although I suspect the shop covered the repair on their own not Trek). That's the experience I expect when I buy a fairly expensive bike from a shop.
    Last edited by Srode; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't help but think this whole story is BS. They (Trek) were very clear with us that warranty labor was no charge. We were a Trek Direct store so they could make that call. We actually *****ed about it a little but they said 'don't charge for warranty labor'. Didn't matter whether it was a tire or a bike build. If it's an IBD that is a Trek Dealer they won't have that control over whether the shop charges labor or not, so the shop can charge for the work. Generally warranty reps don't talk to customers. Hell, we don't need to talk to them to do a warranty claim, it's all done online. Same with Specialized. The $500.00 then $250.00 sounds like complete BS to me for sure. I know a few of the warranty guys in Waterloo (there aren't that many of them) and it's way too farfetched to think that one of them would tell a shop to charge an outrageous fee like that after all my years of experience with them. They told us not to charge labor for SRAM or Shimano warranty work.
    Since when does Trek charge the customer labor for warranty work? There is something not adding up here. I've been a Trek dealer for 20 years and have never had them say one word about warranty labor other than it isn't covered by the warranty. Now, I have had Trek reimburse me for labor when there is an issue out of the box, before customer purchase. There is definitely some BS here.

Banned Sock Puppet
    ut I also know another guy, this guy is a big boy around 180-190 lbs, who rode a Specialized Tarmac, and in a sprint, he hit a pothole (while on full gas), traveling speed was about 38 mph, and he cracked a chainstay. Specialized wouldn't warranty it (understandable). But he got it repaired by the local carbon repair shop here also for $300. But now he's on a steel Cinelli Vigorelli for crits, yeah the Cinelli is 2000g heavy, but he's big boy racing crits, and never gonna outclimb anyone regardless of bike weight
    180-190lbs is not what I would describe as a "big boy", but more "high normal". And unless he somehow managed to only hit that pothole with his rear wheel, at 38mph it would toss him off the bike before any part of the frame should fail.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Since when does Trek charge the customer labor for warranty work? There is something not adding up here. I've been a Trek dealer for 20 years and have never had them say one word about warranty labor other than it isn't covered by the warranty. Now, I have had Trek reimburse me for labor when there is an issue out of the box, before customer purchase. There is definitely some BS here.
    This is not Trek charging, it's the LBS charging (see posted receipt) for warranty repair. Trek tried to help out my buddy by contacting the LBS to see if LBS could offer a repair discount for my buddy (when LBS should have offered free repair labor WITHOUT Trek's intervention). But alas, my buddy got a labor bill that is essentially a full charge repair bill.

I have all receipts and emails from Trek to back up everything. Buddy is now contemplating on how he should craft a letter complaining to the LBS owner without disrupting the LBS' sponsorship to our team (yep, team sponsorship makes the complaint a little more touchy topic, so we're treading this as diplomatically as possible without involving the team leaders). But it's obvious that the manager is taking advantage of the customers (whether the owner is aware of it or not).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    180-190lbs is not what I would describe as a "big boy", but more "high normal". And unless he somehow managed to only hit that pothole with his rear wheel, at 38mph it would toss him off the bike before any part of the frame should fail.
    in cycling racing (other than pure track sprinter) he's definitely a big boy, max out 1700+w. He was sprinting but was weaving a bit so his front wheel just missed the pothole but his rear hit it. The event was on an abandoned airfield so cracks, potholes, chips are more than what you'd find on a typical road. I've hit bumps with the rear wheel (not the front) coming down mountain descents at 40+ mph and I have never fall off or come close to falling off, and even one time I even had a rear blowout but was lucky to manage to slow down the bike to a stop. But I'm only 123 lbs and I'm usually not pedalling. A 180-190 pounder hitting while pedaling put a lot more force into the frame then me. If it's the front wheel hitting, then that's a different story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This is not Trek charging, it's the LBS charging (see posted receipt) for warranty repair. Trek tried to help out my buddy by contacting the LBS to see if LBS could offer a repair discount for my buddy (when LBS should have offered free repair labor WITHOUT Trek's intervention). But alas, my buddy got a labor bill that is essentially a full charge repair bill.

I have all receipts and emails from Trek to back up everything. Buddy is now contemplating on how he should craft a letter complaining to the LBS owner without disrupting the LBS' sponsorship to our team (yep, team sponsorship makes the complaint a little more touchy topic, so we're treading this as diplomatically as possible without involving the team leaders). But it's obvious that the manager is taking advantage of the customers (whether the owner is aware of it or not).
    Some shops will stoop pretty damn low for a buck, but that's just ripping your friend off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    Some shops will stoop pretty damn low for a buck, but that's just ripping your friend off.
    this LBS has always been great to our team and the community in general. They get lots of referrals. And I still believe that the owner is not a greedy person. However, the shop got a new manager within the last year or so and I think it's the manager that's doing some questionable things. Right now, we're thinking of addressing this with the owner via a letter to set matters straight. We totally want to avoid going on social media and bad mouth a shop (that is also one of our team's sponsors), because if we were to do that,
    1. we'd lose a sponsor (which nobody wants)
    2. the LBS would get so much bad raps (we're a team well connected with other teams here) that we also don't want to see happening

We rather settle this behind closed door cordially, and fairly, and let's see what the owner has to say. We haven't spoken with our team leaders yet, but we will to see how they feel about us writing a letter to the owner. We like to think we're team players. Ultimately, my buddy is prepared to eat the labor cost and keep things quite and chuck this up as an exception. We don't want to throw away the whole relationship just because of one questionable transaction. I know if the old manager was still here, this wouldn't happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    this LBS has always been great to our team and the community in general. They get lots of referrals. And I still believe that the owner is not a greedy person. However, the shop got a new manager within the last year or so and I think it's the manager that's doing some questionable things. Right now, we're thinking of addressing this with the owner via a letter to set matters straight. We totally want to avoid going on social media and bad mouth a shop (that is also one of our team's sponsors), because if we were to do that,
    1. we'd lose a sponsor (which nobody wants)
    2. the LBS would get so much bad raps (we're a team well connected with other teams here) that we also don't want to see happening

We rather settle this behind closed door cordially, and fairly, and let's see what the owner has to say. We haven't spoken with our team leaders yet, but we will to see how they feel about us writing a letter to the owner. We like to think we're team players. Ultimately, my buddy is prepared to eat the labor cost and keep things quite and chuck this up as an exception. We don't want to throw away the whole relationship just because of one questionable transaction. I know if the old manager was still here, this wouldn't happen.
    certainly makes sense to be cautious in the response to a shop that supports your team. Personally I would have a conversation with the owner vs a letter if that's possible, but you know the dynamics and personalities involved obviously.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Never Give Up!
    They even support/sponsor you buddy's team... daaaaam, that's even a harder kick between the legs, and leaving your "buddy" hunched over screaming mama

I would have a heart the heart with owner, and not manager... if that didn't produce a quick apology/refund/store credit. I would never do business with that shop again, and I would badmouth the crap out of them all over town and on social media.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey folks, I'm jumping in here to clarify some things...

1. If we were to warranty a cracked Madone handlebar completely, the owner would NOT pay for labor from us
    2. We DO NOT tell the shop what to charge for labor, that is up to their discretion
    3. The only way to have any cost involved would be if we agreed to split the cost of the handlebar and that is what the shop could be really charging for OR if the shop chooses to charge labor because the work is a lot (which in this case it is time consuming, but not that hard to do since they are only rerouting the handlebar

There was some misinformation earlier for sure, but I think we can all agree that there may be some room to wiggle those rates down

To the OP, have your friend contact me through Facebook, IG, Twitter, or here with the claim number so we can look this up. I could help clarify some of this with him directly.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldteen View Post
    Why does this thread make me feel better about riding my old CAAD5
    I’m with you man. That receipt that “aclinjury” posted further down is hilarious. Looks like someone’s receipt from taking their motorcycle in for work. Shows me this is why all shop owners are “pro disc” and super integrated aero bike; most these bikes are way too much a PITA for most folks to maintain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey folks, I'm jumping in here to clarify some things...

1. If we were to warranty a cracked Madone handlebar completely, the owner would NOT pay for labor from us
    2. We DO NOT tell the shop what to charge for labor, that is up to their discretion
    3. The only way to have any cost involved would be if we agreed to split the cost of the handlebar and that is what the shop could be really charging for OR if the shop chooses to charge labor because the work is a lot (which in this case it is time consuming, but not that hard to do since they are only rerouting the handlebar

There was some misinformation earlier for sure, but I think we can all agree that there may be some room to wiggle those rates down

To the OP, have your friend contact me through Facebook, IG, Twitter, or here with the claim number so we can look this up. I could help clarify some of this with him directly.
    Thank you sir! I will relay this info to my friend. I will PM'ed you here too to get further in touch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All you need to know about crappy Trek “quality” and products. .

https://youtu.be/Cse6xFyPSG8

Banned Sock Puppet

While I have no love for Trek, I have to say that this Hambini guy is a total crackpot.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I have no love for Trek, I have to say that this Hambini guy is a total crackpot.
    When companies like FSA others listen to you and have an aerospace degree with tons of experience; you’ll be legit then. Till then you’re no one.

RoadBikeReview Member

Seems fishy to me - either
    1. some dude, screws up a frame pressing a BB in it cocked and sends it to the manufacturer of the BB who makes a video of it showing the damage and claims it is the fault of the manufacturer?
    2. the dude that tried to install the BB was too stupid to contact Trek about a defect in a frame that would have been replaced in a couple days tops (based on my experience with Trek) and chose to send it to some dude to make a video.

Defects happen, maybe it was screwed up but I have a hard time imagining a machining process that would have done that was alleged in the video, it doesn't even look like Mr. Hambini did a good job showing the misalignment to me. Sensationalism sells, trying to make a name for himself.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Banned Sock Puppet
    When companies like FSA others listen to you and have an aerospace degree with tons of experience; you’ll be legit then. Till then you’re no one.
    Hey, the D-students need work too.

Srode said it pretty well here:

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Sensationalism sells, trying to make a name for himself.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey, the D-students need work too.

Srode said it pretty well here:

Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Sensationalism sells, trying to make a name for himself.
    He ain't no D-Student

Yes sensationalism sells. He's crass and annoying... but can you dispute a single technical thing he says?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    He ain't no D-Student

Yes sensationalism sells. He's crass and annoying... but can you dispute a single technical thing he says?
    Many put more importance in bedside manner than in actual skill\knowledge.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Many put more importance in bedside manner than in actual skill\knowledge.
    Possibly. He may actually be smart, but he comes across as a blowhard raving lunatic. Sort of reminds me of those newsletters and chain emails in large font with multiple exclamation points at the end of each sentence.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Possibly. He may actually be smart, but he comes across as a blowhard raving lunatic. Sort of reminds me of those newsletters and chain emails in large font with multiple exclamation points at the end of each sentence.
    You just don’t get it. He’s funny as hell, and presents highly technical info in a way a general audience can digest. Knows his sh*t too. Call BS where it needs calling out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast