Trek Madone handlebar cracked
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Trek Madone handlebar cracked

First of all, this is not really a rant against Trek, but more of an experience of a buddy of mine.

So he recently got a Madone, with Di2 and disc brake. Then while descending down on a mountain ride, the handlebar cracked as he ran across a rough chip on the road (it's mountain road, chips are expected). Anyway he took it to the LBS, and LBS contacted Trek and Trek agreed that it was a manufacturing defect and gave hi a new handlebar. But then Trek said warranty doesn't cover labor. And my buddy was asked by the LBS to pay for labor, and that cost would be around $500 for the LBS to remove and reinstall the handlebars, and because the Madone runs internal brake lines, that means disconnecting the hydraulic lines and bleed the brakes when the new bar is installed. My buddy called Trek and they agreed to pay for half the labor, so my buddy ended up paying for the other half labor which is $250 (which does include new bar tape). In the end, he got his problem resolved, but he said going forward, he'll be avoiding highly integrated aero bikes where cables/hoses are internally routed.

Neophyte
    If my beloved 2015 Scott Addict ever finally gets replaced by a super bike (say, a Teammachine SLR01 Disc...), I'm going to sell the hydraulic brakes and shifters and replace with Dura-Ace mechanical shifters and Spyre or Hy/Rd brakes.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:47 PM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    First of all, this is not really a rant against Trek, but more of an experience of a buddy of mine.

So he recently got a Madone, with Di2 and disc brake. Then while descending down on a mountain ride, the handlebar cracked as he ran across a rough chip on the road (it's mountain road, chips are expected). Anyway he took it to the LBS, and LBS contacted Trek and Trek agreed that it was a manufacturing defect and gave hi a new handlebar. But then Trek said warranty doesn't cover labor. And my buddy was asked by the LBS to pay for labor, and that cost would be around $500 for the LBS to remove and reinstall the handlebars, and because the Madone runs internal brake lines, that means disconnecting the hydraulic lines and bleed the brakes when the new bar is installed. My buddy called Trek and they agreed to pay for half the labor, so my buddy ended up paying for the other half labor which is $250 (which does include new bar tape). In the end, he got his problem resolved, but he said going forward, he'll be avoiding highly integrated aero bikes where cables/hoses are internally routed.
    Are they INSANE? $500.00 labor?!? That's ****ing nuts. First it's a warranty thing, they shouldn't charge for it. Trek told us to cover the labor on any warranty when I worked for them. I'm sorry but let me say again...that's ****ing crazy. It's about an hours work, maybe 1.5 if you're slow. That $500.00 is way more than most shops, even expensive ones, charge to build the whole dame bike. Ridiculous.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Are they INSANE? $500.00 labor?!? That's ****ing nuts. First it's a warranty thing, they shouldn't charge for it. Trek told us to cover the labor on any warranty when I worked for them. I'm sorry but let me say again...that's ****ing crazy. It's about an hours work, maybe 1.5 if you're slow. That $500.00 is way more than most shops, even expensive ones, charge to build the whole dame bike. Ridiculous.
    I made sure I heard it right, but that was what he said. He's just happy to get the bike back after weeks of waiting, shop was booked with service and customers to the hilt. Apparently the manager said business has increased 300%. i don't think this shop would take 1.5 hours during this Covid time. They took about 3 days to built my Di2/rim brake bike with external routing! Anyway, he's not as pissed about paying for the labor as he is about having a second opinion about purchasing a highly integrated bike with hydraulic brakes. He's already asking me for opinion of getting a steel bike and planning to run full mechanical rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    If my beloved 2015 Scott Addict ever finally gets replaced by a super bike (say, a Teammachine SLR01 Disc...), I'm going to sell the hydraulic brakes and shifters and replace with Dura-Ace mechanical shifters and Spyre or Hy/Rd brakes.
    yep. The integrated handlebar could limit the choices of stem and bar width too. I run a 110-120mm stem and a 38cm wide bar, this combo just doesn't exist in any integrated bar on the market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like complete BS to me, not saying it didn't happen but that's an F'd up way to treat a customer on a warranty replacement IMHO by the shop and Trek combined if he bought the bike from that shop he/she should be paying exactly $0 for that repair. If he bought it somewhere else maybe pay something but the $500 is just nuts, doesn't matter if the shop is backed up in service from the COVID rush, what's their hourly service rate?

As far as a steel bike, have fun with that boat anchor!
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    As far as a steel bike, have fun with that boat anchor!
    Newflash: Steel bikes or more accurately CroMo bikes aren't that much heavier. This Reynolds 631 bike below weighs in at 20.00lbs.:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questelite.html

Weight weenies would vehemently disapprove, but it's only 2lbs. heavier than my 2014 Synapse Carbon.

It's not your father's Schwinn Varsity.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    While I agree that $500 for this job is nuckin' futs, Trek did admit this was a manufacturing defect - translate: their fault. In my mind, that means Trek should cover the whole cost including parts, labor and shipping - no ifs, ands or buttholes. Why should you be absorbing the cost of Trek's eff-ups? Trek FAIL.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's very very rare for warranties to cover labor. Be it your bike, vehicle, air conditioner, or microwave oven.

It's right there in the warranty. Sucks, but that's what it is and always has been.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/
    Not Included:
    Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/warranty
    All labor charges for warranty service, including the transfer of components and/or any installation of new components, are the responsibility of the bicycle owner.
    That said, $500 to install handlebars.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's very very rare for warranties to cover labor. Be it your bike, vehicle.............
    Don't know about you, but when I have had warranty repairs on vehicles, I paid exactly $0.00. Not sure how much of this the dealership had to eat, but I'm sure their profits are much, much greater than any LBS.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Don't know about you, but when I have had warranty repairs on vehicles, I paid exactly $0.00. Not sure how much of this the dealership had to eat, but I'm sure their profits are much, much greater than any LBS.
    Can't remember ever having a vehicle warranty. I'd have to dig out my warranty and look.

But it's clear, the Trek warranty does not cover labor.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

What the what???
    This is gouging, plain and simple. It's also an excellent motivation for your friend to do (or learn to do if he doesn't know already) some wrenching at home.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Clearly egg in Trek's face IMO.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Clearly egg in Trek's face IMO.
    And Cannondale, and Specialized, and Giant, and Cervélo, and Colnago, and Wilier....

But not Pinarello. They don't charge for labor. One of the rare ones.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    It's also an excellent motivation for your friend to do (or learn to do if he doesn't know already) some wrenching at home.
    The problem is, the only way to get warranty service is through a dealer. Trek won't send you a new part to install yourself.

Can't remember ever having a vehicle warranty. I'd have to dig out my warranty and look.

They always told us to provide labor at no charge for warranty work.
    #promechaniclife

What the what???
    The problem is, the only way to get warranty service is through a dealer. Trek won't send you a new part to install yourself.
    Then the LBS is absolutely using this to gouge the customer. They are taking advantage of the fact that the only way to get his "free" replacement part is to pay them an exorbitant fee for installing it. I know it's technically not extortion, but it sure feels like it.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Newflash: Steel bikes or more accurately CroMo bikes aren't that much heavier. This Reynolds 631 bike below weighs in at 20.00lbs.:

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questelite.html

Weight weenies would vehemently disapprove, but it's only 2lbs. heavier than my 2014 Synapse Carbon.

It's not your father's Schwinn Varsity.
    Enough heavierI have no interest in them when they offer absolutely nothing in return for the weight.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    It's very very rare for warranties to cover labor. Be it your bike, vehicle, air conditioner, or microwave oven.

It's right there in the warranty. Sucks, but that's what it is and always has been.
    Exactly. I've seen such a clause in virtually every product warranty I've ever had. Same with shipping and handling charges.

I'll also agree the $500 quote was absurd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    To put $500 in context it's generally $250-$300 for an entire bike build at high end shopw with real good mechanics, around Boston anyway and Boston is an expensive city and I doubt bike mechanics are an exception.
    Absurd indeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Just an updated.

So today I've went riding with the buddy agai and asked him some more questions.
    I asked him who gave him the $500 labor charge? So here's the sequence of events according to him?
    1. He said it was initially Trek (not the LBS) who told him that he would need to pay for labor, which is $500. Now, he was not part of the initial conversation between Trek and the LBS regarding the warranty, so he had no idea how Trek decided labor cost would be $500.
    2. So then LBS wanted to charge him $500.
    3. He then raised his opinion with the LBS that the handlebar failure was not his fault and so why should he pay $500, and also $500 was just insane when the same LBS had built his complete Madone for under $300. LBS told him to contact Trek to see if Trek would waive the labor charge.
    4. He then contacted Trek again and they say they would waive half, which is $250. And thus he agreed to pay $250 to get his bike fixed. LBS did throw in new bar tape, but still.

Now I've never built the Madone, but I believe that to remove and replace the handlebar of this bike, you'd pretty much need to disconnect both front/rear brake lines and bleed them. This ain't something most people would be willing or could do at home. But this is not to say paying $250 was fair either. But knowing my buddy he isn't the type of person who won't put up a fight much. If it was you guys in here, I'm sure you'd raise hell with LBS/Trek. Personally, I think he was taken advantaged of, but the same LBS has given him (and me) a lot of good deals in the past (when they had a different manager) so he'll chuck this up as the "cost of riding a highend and highly integrated aero bike".

What the what???
    Just an updated.

So today I've went riding with the buddy agai and asked him some more questions.
    I asked him who gave him the $500 labor charge? So here's the sequence of events according to him?
    1. He said it was initially Trek (not the LBS) who told him that he would need to pay for labor, which is $500. Now, he was not part of the initial conversation between Trek and the LBS regarding the warranty, so he had no idea how Trek decided labor cost would be $500.
    3. He then raised his opinion with the LBS that the handlebar failure was not his fault and so why should he pay $500, and also $500 was just insane when the same LBS had built his complete Madone for under $300. LBS told him to contact Trek to see if Trek would waive the labor charge.
    4. He then contacted Trek again and they say they would waive half, which is $250. And thus he agreed to pay $250 to get his bike fixed. LBS did throw in new bar tape, but still.

Now I've never built the Madone, but I believe that to remove and replace the handlebar of this bike, you'd pretty much need to disconnect both front/rear brake lines and bleed them. This ain't something most people would be willing or could do at home. But this is not to say paying $250 was fair either. But knowing my buddy he isn't the type of person who won't put up a fight much. If it was you guys in here, I'm sure you'd raise hell with LBS/Trek. Personally, I think he was taken advantaged of, but the same LBS has given him (and me) a lot of good deals in the past (when they had a different manager) so he'll chuck this up as the "cost of riding a highend and highly integrated aero bike".
    Yeah, sounds like he got shafted by both Trek and his LBS. Trek should never have quoted a $500 labor charge. The LBS shouldn't have used that figure either especially compared to a full bike build-up. The half-off "deal", sadly, sounds like that old marketing ploy... jack up the price, then when push comes to shove, offer a discount that sounds like you're being generous...

If I were your friend, I would shop elsewhere from here on out and encourage everyone else I knew to do likewise.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Enough heavierI have no interest in them when they offer absolutely nothing in return for the weight.
    Absolutely not correct for highend steel. My Cinelli XCR frame, which uses butted and oversized tubes, in size small, weighs about ~1450g. A highend carbon frame is under 1000g, but a low-to-medium carbon frame is probably 1100-1300g. So compared to a highend carbon frame, my frame is about a pound heavier. Compared to low/medium end carbon frame, then I would say I'm right there.

My bike complete build with Dura Ace 7900 and HED Belgium Plus wide wheels come out to be 16.8 lbs, and dips to low 16-lb if I go with carbon 30-40mm wheels. That's lighter than many low/medium end carbon bikes, and lighter than many disc brake bikes saves for the highend ones (not many disc bikes come in at low 16-lb).

So it's no boat anchor. Compared to the paperweight highend carbon bikes, my bike doesn't shock your toes over railroad tracks and descending high speed mountain chutes and taking curves that are a little bumpy doesn't cause the bike to jitter and rattle sending possibly cold sweat down your forehead!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yeah, sounds like he got shafted by both Trek and his LBS. Trek should never have quoted a $500 labor charge. The LBS shouldn't have used that figure either especially compared to a full bike build-up. The half-off "deal" is, sadly, sounds like that old marketing ploy... jack up the price, then when push comes to shove, offer a discount that sounds like you're being generous...

If I were your friend, I would shop elsewhere from here on out and encourage everyone else I knew to do likewise.
    I'm conflicted about this. In the past, under the previous manager (but same owner), we got a lot of good deals and discounted labor service. In fact, the previous manager even helped me with an "insurance estimate" when I got involved in minor collision with a car (was not my fault according to police report, just suffered some road rash). And naturally, the manager threw "the book" at the estimate and that got me a generous settlement from the driver's insurance. But LBS has switched to a new manager about a year or so ago.. so we'll see how this goes I guess.

Just an updated.

I'm sorry but I can't help but think this whole story is BS. They (Trek) were very clear with us that warranty labor was no charge. We were a Trek Direct store so they could make that call. We actually *****ed about it a little but they said 'don't charge for warranty labor'. Didn't matter whether it was a tire or a bike build. If it's an IBD that is a Trek Dealer they won't have that control over whether the shop charges labor or not, so the shop can charge for the work. Generally warranty reps don't talk to customers. Hell, we don't need to talk to them to do a warranty claim, it's all done online. Same with Specialized. The $500.00 then $250.00 sounds like complete BS to me for sure. I know a few of the warranty guys in Waterloo (there aren't that many of them) and it's way too farfetched to think that one of them would tell a shop to charge an outrageous fee like that after all my years of experience with them. They told us not to charge labor for SRAM or Shimano warranty work.
    #promechaniclife

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast