Trek top cap max torque... really ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Since they can't laser etch complete headset adjustment instructions on a top cap I guess they just figured a MAX value would be good enough for most people. Not all people mind you, but most. You can take that for what it's worth, or you can overthink it...
    You would think that from a liability perspective there should also be a minimum torque spec, eh?
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure what Mitch does at Trek but I've never tightened a normal threadless headset to 4nm. With the Domane SL/SLR you need to comperess the spring washer so 4nm is needed. It's definitely more than a normal headset. I'll have to try it sometime w/ a torque wrench to see just what happens.
    Maybe we're talking about two different items. I was reffering to the cap top bolt which indicates 4Nm on the top. That is the max, but you can use less if your spacers are not able to be moved and the bolt is snug.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    You would think that from a liability perspective there should also be a minimum torque spec, eh?
    Once you tighten the stem, you can take that dam thing off and throw it away. There is no minimum!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Interesting. I'm sure I've seen them like yours but just never really noticed because I've seen so many w/ the torque spec on them and just know how tight to make them. That's definitely a part that should have the spec in a visible spot.
    CX, I spoke with Trek again and initially the rep stated that the torque spec was 4nm right off the top of the top cap bolt. So, obviously this is very misleading because even the Trek rep thought that was the torque spec because that is what's on the top cap bolt. But, when I pointed out that that's the torque spec for the top cap bolt and not the expander bolt, he had to do some checking. He sent me an email with the Domane SLR install instructions for the expander, which requires 10nm. He stated it's the same install method for the Emonda. I asked if that was the suggested max torque rate and he responded, no the actual spec to use. The instructions seems to allude to using 10nm also. I will post up Trek's response when I get home, but I just wanted to report back my findings.

For some reason, there is no build manual for the Emonda (I can find manuals for Domane and Madone online)...do you have any idea why? Just curious.

Btw, I cut my stem the other day and torqued it to 8nm now.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Maybe we're talking about two different items. I was reffering to the cap top bolt which indicates 4Nm on the top. That is the max, but you can use less if your spacers are not able to be moved and the bolt is snug.
    No, we're talking about the same thing. As I posted before I've never 'torqued' a top cap bolt, and thus a headset, to 4nm. I've never tightened a top cap so that the spacers don't move. I adjust a headset so that it's properly adjusted, nothing more, nothing less. And again, the ONLY headset that has a torque value that should be used is the Domane w/ front IsoSpeed. I think having a torque value on the top cap is somewhat misleading but I guess it's there in an effort to keep ham fisted mechanics from really overdoing it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12