RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Are Trek's BB bearing crappy

Long story short, well sorta. I have the Madone (BB90) and have just experienced the loose BB bearing housing. I call Trek and they are fully aware of this issue, but they won't send me the oversized bearings and tell me to warranty it through my LBS. Note: I hate having someone wrench on my bike, but fine, no problem. The LBS confirms that Trek would send the oversized bearing, but only the non drive side (this one could be pushed in by hand), so I'm pissed, but in the end they sent both bearings. I get the bike back and did a 35 mile ride, but noticed a sort of skipping sensation every now and then, something wasn't right. I took it for another ride on a rail trail just in case and sure enough the crank has play in it, so I limp back to my vehicle and make it back to the shop before they closed. I had them remove the crank to see what the problem was. They measured the drive side BB bearing opening and found that it was just over 25mm (1mm too wide), so the crank was just wobbling around in the wider opening. One guy says they must have installed the Shimano bearing, so I am pissed because I was heading out of town the next day and was taking my bike for this nicely planned ride in Connecticut. About 60 miles down the road the next day I get a call that my bike was ready. They tell me they forgot to install this 1mm space/adaptor. So, it seems Trek makes this oversized bearing to fit several bikes with an adaptor for SRAM.

Fastforward. I am on another ride after a rain storm, so I now hear some squealing from the BB. I remove the crank to find the non drive side bearing spins very rough (no smoothness at all). I repack with grease, but doesn't help at all. Pissed, I ordered several sets of Enduro BB bearings and replaced the Trek bearings. I'm going for a ride tomorrow and hopefully these bearings won't give me trouble.

Note: All of this since August 2nd. So that Trek bearing pretty much went bad in about 2 weeks.

Again, I ask, are Trek BB bearings crappy? Are the Enduro BB bearings a better quality bearing.

PS. I know someone going to say there's 1000 threads on this.

Thanks for the ear...
    Last edited by Methodical; 08-18-2018 at 09:03 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You're pretty much mistaken about every aspect of this situation. Lots of Treks have issues w/ the bottom bracket shell becoming a little loose. Most of the time the oversize V2 bearing will fix the problem. It is 37.1mm OD vs 37.0 for the standard bearing. The bearings Trek uses are (or were, depending on how long your shop has had them) supplied by Enduro. The newest OS bearings are slightly different and use the same hat/spacer as the new standard bearings. If your shop wasn't smart enough to install the spacers it's their fault, not Trek's. There is no 'adapter' for SRAM, it's a different NDS bearing. It's always been like that. Trek doesn't make the bearings, they buy them from a bearing distributor so there is really no such thing as a 'Trek' bearing.

Since I am not in the same room as your bike I have no idea why it's 'squealing' but it shouldn't be. How did you install the Enduro bearings? Do you have the proper tools to ensure they go in straight? This is how most of the bb shells get damaged in the first place...less than stellar mechanics installing the bearings at an angle and forcing them straight.

No, there aren't thousands of threads about this but there are dozens for sure.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    One other thing to check on the Madone is the rubber flap at the back of the seatpost. I lost mine and the bearings became rough soon after.

Turns out all the degreaser/cleaning fluid I was using was going straight through to BB area. All those times I sat back and admired my gleaming bike after a thorough clean - I was actually watching the bearings be robbed of lubrication. Quick purchase of a new rubber flap and a bit of gaffer tape sorted it.

Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    One other thing to check on the Madone is the rubber flap at the back of the seatpost. I lost mine and the bearings became rough soon after.

Turns out all the degreaser/cleaning fluid I was using was going straight through to BB area. All those times I sat back and admired my gleaming bike after a thorough clean - I was actually watching the bearings be robbed of lubrication. Quick purchase of a new rubber flap and a bit of gaffer tape sorted it.
    Unless the person that built your bike didn't install the overlapping inner tube/shield thing it doesn't happen like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This is how most of the bb shells get damaged in the first place...less than stellar mechanics installing the bearings at an angle and forcing them straight.
    Park tool HHP2?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post

Wow, just how much cleaner do you use???
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Park tool HHP2?
    That works but I use the Enduro BRT-002 with the press pieces for the smaller bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You're pretty much mistaken about every aspect of this situation. Lots of Treks have issues w/ the bottom bracket shell becoming a little loose. Most of the time the oversize V2 bearing will fix the problem. It is 37.1mm OD vs 37.0 for the standard bearing. The bearings Trek uses are (or were, depending on how long your shop has had them) supplied by Enduro. The newest OS bearings are slightly different and use the same hat/spacer as the new standard bearings. If your shop wasn't smart enough to install the spacers it's their fault, not Trek's. There is no 'adapter' for SRAM, it's a different NDS bearing. It's always been like that. Trek doesn't make the bearings, they buy them from a bearing distributor so there is really no such thing as a 'Trek' bearing.

Since I am not in the same room as your bike I have no idea why it's 'squealing' but it shouldn't be. How did you install the Enduro bearings? Do you have the proper tools to ensure they go in straight? This is how most of the bb shells get damaged in the first place...less than stellar mechanics installing the bearings at an angle and forcing them straight.

No, there aren't thousands of threads about this but there are dozens for sure.
    Cxwrench, after further inspection, I found that the LBS installed two different bearings; NSK (680502) on the drive side and Enduro (V2) on the non drive side. I can't tell if the drive side is a V2 bearing or not. The NSK bearing requires that 1mm reducer to work with SRAM cranks. (see attached photos). I can't confirm if Trek provided the drive side bearing or not, but it looks like the same bearing Trek has on their website (see link below) and these bearings have gotten terrible reviews and they also require that same 1mm reducer. Additionally, they installed the wrong size wavy washer; it was too large and loose on the crank (not sure if that matters though). You see this is why I don't like having anyone wrench on my bike and was very reluctant to do so, but wanted to have it done under warranty just in case it gets worse. Either way, after only about 2 weeks, the non drive side bearing failed; it's grinding and not spinning smoothly. Perhaps the non drive side bearing was damaged because of the issue with the drive side bearing. All I know is the bearing does not spin smoothly and making noise and everyone I rode with could hear it. I have a recording of the bearing noise, but don't know how to upload it.

I'm very familiar with how to install BB bearings and have the proper tools to do so. That was not the problem with my bike. While misalignment can cause such issue, my research and my conversation with a Trek representative found that it's a well documented issue with these bikes BB becoming loose over time and not only from bad installs. A guy I ride with whose fairly new Trek bike (Domane) BB bearings have never been replaced and his bike required the V2 bearing because the originals were loose in the socket.

I went for a ride today and the newly installed matching set of Enduro BB bearings were smooth and quiet and everyone noticed it. I am just happy that everything is back in order now. However, I will be talking to the owner of the bike shop to find out why they did what they did.

Trek SRAM BB90 bearings

Are Trek's BB bearing crappy-5dm39873.jpg
    Are Trek's BB bearing crappy-5dm39874.jpg

sgc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Apparently, there is now an alternative on the market which fits the BB90

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom...ets/470-bb3724

Anyone any experience of this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sgc View Post
    Apparently, there is now an alternative on the market which fits the BB90

https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom...ets/470-bb3724

Anyone any experience of this?
    Looks interesting. I'm putting this in the vault just in case I need it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Looks interesting. I'm putting this in the vault just in case I need it in the future.
    I've never seen one in person but it looks promising.