Twitter R3 aero road bike frame (disc) - routing front brake cable
    Slow Runner
    Jun 2020

Twitter R3 aero road bike frame (disc) - routing front brake cable

I recently purchased a Twitter R3 carbon road bike frame disc brake version. It's an aero frame and it's the same frame as used on the Twitter T10 Pro disc. I haven't started my build yet because I'm perplexed as to how to run the front brake cable. The front fork has a brake cable channel that is on the outside of the fork's steerer tube and the brake cable has to enter that channel from inside the head tube. My question is: how in the heck do you get the brake cable inside the head tube?

I'm assuming I will need to buy a handlebar and stem that supports internal cable routing but I can't figure out how to feed the brake cable outside the steerer tube but inside the head tube. There is no notch in the integrated headset for a cable to pass through the bearings and get into the head tube. There is a removable cover just behind the headset. Underneath that cover there are no holes to run a cable into the head tube. There are no holes in the head tube for a cable to enter. Am I going to have to drill a hole in my bike frame?

The only other option I can think of would be to notch the very top of the steerer tube and run the cable into the steerer tube. Then drill another hole towards the bottom of the steerer tube for the cable get out and then go into the cable channel. That seems risky to drill a hole in the steerer tube.

To clarify, the hole where the brake cable feeds into the fork is located at the base of the steerer tube. It's actually built into the steerer tube near the base. The hole is on the outside if the steerer tube. There is no hole or notch in the integrated headset bearing for a cable to pass through and enter the head tube.
    Last edited by SlowRunner; 06-28-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Slow Runner
    Jun 2020
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slow Runner
    Jun 2020
    Shoot, I posted this in the wrong forum. Should be in Components, Wrenching. Can a mod move this?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRunner View Post
    I recently purchased a Twitter R3 carbon road bike frame disc brake version. It's an aero frame and it's the same frame as used on the Twitter T10 Pro disc. I haven't started my build yet because I'm perplexed as to how to run the front brake housing or hose. The front fork has a brake housing or hose channel that is on the outside of the fork's steerer tube and the brake housing or hose has to enter that channel from inside the head tube. My question is: how in the heck do you get the brake housing or hose inside the head tube?

I'm assuming I will need to buy a handlebar and stem that supports internal cable routing but I can't figure out how to feed the brake housing or hose outside the steerer tube but inside the head tube. There is no notch in the integrated headset for housing or hose to pass through the bearings and get into the head tube. There is a removable cover just behind the headset. Underneath that cover there are no holes to run a you get my point into the head tube. There are no holes in the head tube for a cable to enter. Am I going to have to drill a hole in my bike frame?

The only other option I can think of would be to notch the very top of the steerer tube and run the cable into the steerer tube. Then drill another hole towards the bottom of the steerer tube for the cable get out and then go into the cable channel. That seems risky to drill a hole in the steerer tube.

To clarify, the hole where the brake cable feeds into the fork is located at the base of the steerer tube. It's actually built into the steerer tube near the base. The hole is on the outside if the steerer tube. There is no hole or notch in the integrated headset bearing for a cable to pass through and enter the head tube.
    Ah, the joys of internet buying. Normally you'd have what you described...a channel or flat spot on the steerer for the brake housing/hose and a compression ring w/ a notch, then a frame specific stem and/or bar so that you could run the housing and brake hose through the headtube into the bar/stem.
    After looking at what passes for their website it's not apparent.I find it hard to understand how anyone would order anything from a company like this. The link for 'handbar sets' doesn't work. The photos of the complete bike looked photoshopped. I got nothin' other than good luck. Keep us informed as to how much of a debacle this turns in to.

ETA: Do NOT...under any circumstances...'notch' your steerer tube. Ever. Forget ever thinking about it.

ETA2: Did you actually buy this through alibaba?
    #promechaniclife

Slow Runner
    Jun 2020
    Here are the steps I used to correct the problem with this frame/fork:

1) Cut frame up so it will fit in trash bin and have clearance for the lid to close.
    2) Purchase Ridley Fenix SL frame on closeout deal from Competitive Cyclist dot com
    3) Wait for frame to arrive

Problem solved.