Ultegra 10-speed GS rear derailleur, 9-speed dura ace shifters, & 11-32 XT cassette
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Ultegra 10-speed long-cage derailleur, 9-speed dura ace shifters, & 11-32 XT cassette

Will an Ultegra 10-speed long-cage rear derailleur work with 9-speed Dura Ace shifters & 9-speed 11-32 XT cassette (crankset is double 46/30)?
    Last edited by kokopelli99; 02-06-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by kokopelli99 View Post
    Will an Ultegra 10-speed GS rear derailleur work with 9-speed Dura Ace shifters & 9-speed 11-32 XT cassette (crankset is double 46/30)?
    Maybe. If the B-screw on the rear derailleur can be adjusted so the upper jockey wheel will clear the large cog.

Better yet, just get a 9-speed Shimano MTB rear der (the Deore or XT models work well) for a well-established, fine working combo that will handle an 11-34 cogset if needed.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    just because the derailleur is long cage doesn't mean it will work w/ a 32t cog. long cage road derailleurs are designed to work w/ a 27/28t cog max, the longer cage is there to wrap the extra chain required for a triple. as DaveT said, an XT (9 speed) derailleur would work for sure.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Happily absent RBR Member
    It might work if you put the B screw in backwards - if that's what you already have. Otherwise, like CX said, it isn't any better than any other Shimano road derailleur, long cage or not. Shimano "9 speed" or Microshift MTB derailleurs are better choices.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I've had Shimano 9sp road triple derailleurs shift to a 30t cog without trouble. But you'd be pushing it. I think the answer depends in part on your frame's derailleur hanger geometry.

The 10sp Ultegra and DA deraillers are set up for a slightly larger rear cog- the spec is 28t instead of 27t. So perhaps the derailleur would shift a 32t cog.

But a 9sp MTB derailleur will for sure.