Ultegra 6600 and 6800 parts compatibility question
    Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010

Iím in the process of updating one of my bikes from an Ultegra 6600 2x10 setup to an Ultegra 6800 2x11 setup. My bike has a braze on front derailleur mount. The donor bike that the 6800 parts came off of uses a clamp style. My question is this: will my old 6600 front derailleur work with the rest of the 6800 2x11 components and 11 speed chain? If not, do I need to source an FD-6800-F front derailleur or are the newer Ultegra series 2x11 mechanical derailleurs backwards compatible with 6800?

Edit:
    Iíve been looking online for either 6800 or 8000 braze on derailleurs and they seem to be mostly out of stock. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to a Dura Ace 9100? This is my ďforeverĒ bike so I do mind spending a little extra on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by b4_ford; 10-08-2020 at 10:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should be able to get a used 6800 front braze on off Ebay or locally for maybe $30 shipped. The trim on it is nice, but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use your 6600 front either.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Neophyte
    +1 on Srode"s suggestion. Braze on FD-6800 easy to get used on eBay.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    I managed to find a new FD-6800 braze on online for less than the few available on eBay so I went ahead and ordered it.

Neophyte
    Excellent. Ultegra 6800 is SUPER solid.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Excellent. Ultegra 6800 is SUPER solid.
    Glad to hear it. I was hoping to have the rebuild done by this weekend but i must be patient. Iím kicking myself for not checking such an obvious thing before starting the project. Good thing I have a few other bikes to ride while this one is out.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    6800 is good stuff. I've had the best luck setting it by setting the low limit w/ the cable not attached. Then turn the low limit in 1/2-3/4 turn, attach the cable and then back off the limit however much you turned it in. This derailleur needs a bunch of tension and 'cheating' the limit helps, you don't end up using all of your inline or barrel adjuster. From high position you should a trim click that gets you 1-2mm, then you shift down to the small ring, then 1 more trick click that should be 3-4mm. If you don't get that much on the last trim click you're doing it wrong. Also before you attach the cable to the derailleur hold it in your hand and give it a tug while actuating the shifter a bunch of times. This will help seat the housing and ferrules. Don't forget the hit the last trim before anchoring the cable.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You probably know this but incase not; chances are you will need a new rear hub.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You probably know this but incase not; chances are you will need a new rear hub.
    My Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels have an 11 speed hub. I was using a spacer with the 10 speed cassette. Thatís one of the things I remembered to check before I started.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    cool, so yeah you're all set wheel wise.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Well this sort of blows. A week after I ordered the 6800 derailleur from bicyclebuys.com with 3 day shipping, they sent me an email saying that they didnít actually have the part I ordered, despite their website showing as in stock when I ordered it. Their solution was to suggest an SRAM derailleur that ďmight workĒ or I could wait a month for them to have an Ultegra 8000 derailleur in stock. I declined and ordered an 8000 from Colorado Cyclist. I wonít have a matching Groupset which I wanted because OCD but I should have a rideable bike by next weekend. Pretty much everything else is installed. Iím holding off on installing the bar tape until Iím satisfied with the position of the new bars. Other then that, itís just a matter of getting the front derailleur and chain installed and then adjusting the cable tension and limit screws.

Limit screws, then chain, then cables/tension.
    #promechaniclife

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Limit screws, then chain, then cables/tension.
    Iíve found it to be important to have the chain installed when making final adjustments to limit screws. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
    Iíve found it to be important to have the chain installed when making final adjustments to limit screws. Am I missing something?

For 'final' adjustment, yes. You can get very close w/o the chain and I've seen too many people shift into the spokes because they hadn't done any adjustment prior to installing the chain.
    #promechaniclife

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    For 'final' adjustment, yes. You can get very close w/o the chain and I've seen too many people shift into the spokes because they hadn't done any adjustment prior to installing the chain.
    Yep. Iím always cautious about that.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Happy happy joy joy. The derailleur I ordered from Colorado Cyclist arrived yesterday. Final piece of the puzzle so I can complete the reassembly.

Follow the instructions explicitly. To. The. Letter. It's a fantastic derailleur but it's completely different from any and every other front derailleur you've ever touched. There are also a couple of good videos on YT showing how to set it up. If you have any questions lemme know and I'll walk you through it.
    #promechaniclife

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Follow the instructions explicitly. To. The. Letter. It's a fantastic derailleur but it's completely different from any and every other front derailleur you've ever touched. There are also a couple of good videos on YT showing how to set it up. If you have any questions lemme know and I'll walk you through it.
    Thank you. I found a pretty detailed video on YT that is helpful. Iím going to tackle setting it up tonight.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Got the FD properly installed. Once I was sure of the cable routing it was a breeze to get set up. I do need to pick up a quick link tool tomorrow to properly install the chain. Then all thatís left is to adjust the RD, take it for a test ride to make sure Iím happy with the bar/shifter position, and then install the bar tape. Iíve been enjoying my Diverge while this has been on the stand, but Iím really looking forward to getting this one road worthy again.

Neophyte
    I've also had the "order stuff and have it not exist" and "order stuff and it takes forever" blues lately, too with a build I'm *almost* done with save for waiting on a freaking barrel adjuster.

But there's that sweet feeling when it's all done to look forward to.

Grumpy Old Man
    Mar 2010
    Finally finished and got it out for a test ride. It was absolutely worth updating the drivetrain. Itís like a whole new bike. Now I have room on my stand for another project bike...