Ultegra 6700 Brake Calipers? Do they Fit a 2013 Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Ultegra 6700 Brake Calipers? Do they Fit a 2013 Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2?

I like the 2013 Jamis Xenith Endura Elite Di2, but find the grip on the brakes suboptimal. I may consider swapping the brake calipers for Ultegra 6700 (or 6800) calipers if it would help. Does the 6700 caliper have enough reach? The idea of fitting wider tires on this bike is appealing but not at the cost of poor braking performance.

Any ideas, suggestions or feedback?

Thanks.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    All 'standard' road bike will work w/ any 'standard' reach caliper. You can use the 6700 or 6800 brakes w/ that frame no problem. 6700 won't change much, but the 6800 are pretty nice, although the cable pull ratio has been changed and they work best w/ the matching 6800 levers. They'll work no matter what lever is used, just slightly better w/ 6800.

Also your link is bad. It goes to the entire catalog and not the specific bike.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    All 'standard' road bike will work w/ any 'standard' reach caliper. You can use the 6700 or 6800 brakes w/ that frame no problem. 6700 won't change much, but the 6800 are pretty nice, although the cable pull ratio has been changed and they work best w/ the matching 6800 levers. They'll work no matter what lever is used, just slightly better w/ 6800.

Also your link is bad. It goes to the entire catalog and not the specific bike.
    Question is, is the bike fork and geometry completely typical of road bikes? Jamis fits "Shimano BR451 Super SLR long reach dual pivot calipers with cartridge pads and with Shimano Ultegra ST-6770 STI brake levers" on this bike and the fork/caliper setup allows unusually wide tires for a carbon frame and even allows fenders on some models (yes the carbon frame)! I am not sure if in doing this they are mandating a long reach caliper. The link I provided is the only link I can find on the Jamis website (allright through Google), here is another link at a particular vendor/site.
    Last edited by haziz; 04-19-2015 at 02:45 PM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Sounds like you're right, they're spec'ing that bike w/ a longer than normal reach to make room for fenders and big tires. I'd just stick w/ those brakes, they'll work fine.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sounds like you're right, they're spec'ing that bike w/ a longer than normal reach to make room for fenders and big tires. I'd just stick w/ those brakes, they'll work fine.
    I think I will call Jamis today an hopefully get a response. I was hoping for somebody who did a caliper swap themselves. I don't want to take it into a shop since I will likely get the calipers myself and install it.