Ultegra 6700 compatibility with 6500
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Question Ultegra 6700 compatibility with 6500

I see lots of info on compatibility of 6700 with 6600, but I'd like to stick with 9. So, can I upgrade the derailleurs to 6700 and keep the cranks, chain and cogs 6500? I believe that my derailleurs are about "tweaked" out and need replacement. thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    You have to check how well the 9 speed chain fits the derailleur cage. If I remember correctly the 10 speed cage is a bit narrower than 9 speed one. If the chain fits without a problem, then the geometry is the same and you can use them without a problem. Chain width is so close between 9 and 10 speed that I believe there should be no problem. (I tried to use 8 or 7 speed chain with 9 speed derailleur once and the rivet heads of the chain rubbed the cage side plates and did some noise. Otherwise it worked OK )

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamren
    I see lots of info on compatibility of 6700 with 6600, but I'd like to stick with 9. So, can I upgrade the derailleurs to 6700 and keep the cranks, chain and cogs 6500? I believe that my derailleurs are about "tweaked" out and need replacement. thanks.
    If all you're replacing are the front and rear derailleurs, you'll be fine. Worse case scenario is you'll get a bit more chain rub on the (very slightly) narrower FD cage. If so, next time you replace your chain, go with a 10 spd.

Just a FYI.. 9-speed chains max out at about 6.8mm's wide, while 10-speed chains are about 6.2mm's wide.

Adventure Seeker
    You probably just need to replace the cabling. Take the derailleur off, clean and re-lube it.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the input. Maintenance has already been done to the fullest. I'll try to post a response once I've done it.