Ultegra Crank Debonding
    Bill Dobie

Ultegra Crank Debonding

Hi Ya'll - Haven't seen much on the topic of Shimano Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks debonding on right side. Looks like the pretty "skin" on the outside coming apart from the "structural" part on the inside. Look up Thanks Shimano on Instagram. Tons of photos. Anyway looking to replace 3 year old Ultegra 10 speed and only finding 11 speed available. Will 11 speed cranks work with my 10speed components? Any others experience this issue?
    THX!!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Seen it a bunch. Unfortunately you're past the 2 year warranty. An 11 speed crank will work just fine.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    The only difference between a 10-speed crankset and an 11-speed crankset is marketing. Either will work fine with your setup.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think Shimano's official answer is: No. But so many people have done it no problem and I've never heard of it not working for anyone.

You can also use 11 speed chains with 10 speed parts. No problem finding 10 speed chains so no need for that but I find 11 speed chains do shift slightly better even with all 10 speed stuff as compared to 10 speed chains. I don't think they last as long though.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think Shimano's official answer is: No. But so many people have done it no problem and I've never heard of it not working for anyone.

You can also use 11 speed chains with 10 speed parts. No problem finding 10 speed chains so no need for that but I find 11 speed chains do shift slightly better even with all 10 speed stuff as compared to 10 speed chains. I don't think they last as long though.
    My last 11-speed chain lasted 6000 miles. The only reason I changed it was it had a stiff link I couldn't work loose. It had no measurable wear.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    My last 11-speed chain lasted 6000 miles. The only reason I changed it was it had a stiff link I couldn't work loose. It had no measurable wear.
    Given that chain wear is heavily dependent on rider power output, that explains your long chain life Note that my chains last even longer

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Given that chain wear is heavily dependent on rider power output, that explains your long chain life Note that my chains last even longer
    Joking aside, when I used dry wax lubes, my chains showed wear at 2000 miles. Was I stronger then? I don't think so.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah, so? Unless you also rode a 10 speed chain for the same distance under the same conditions and had the same or worse results that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yeah, so? Unless you also rode a 10 speed chain for the same distance under the same conditions and had the same or worse results that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
    The chain I mentioned above that lasted for only 2000 miles was actually a 10-speed chain.

Yes, I know not equal situations. But how much longer do you think the 10-speed vs. the 11-speed chain will last if all other variables are the same? My point is that other variables will make much more of a difference in chain life.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Joking aside, when I used dry wax lubes, my chains showed wear at 2000 miles. Was I stronger then? I don't think so.
    Was the point that dry wax lubes aren't any good? Not sure I understand what you're trying to say sorry.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Was the point that dry wax lubes aren't any good? Not sure I understand what you're trying to say sorry.
    Basically yes, dry wax lubes are nowhere near as good at lubricating as "wet" oil based lubes.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.