Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ultegra r8000

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Lougarou 
#1 ·
Hello, I went to clean my rear derailleur and I saw this. You see that the pulley are not aligned and the cage is bent. I never crashed my bike nor leaned and fall. I would think that this came out of the factory. I have no problem shifting, but I hear a skip not often. I wonder if this is a factory defect, I was thinking of taking it off and just straighten it myself. Do I have to be concern in a long run? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
the cage is made of aluminum isn't? bending aluminum is a no no.
Bring it back to the LBS and ask for a new one. LBS should be able to take a look at the derailleur and if they see no marks/scratches on the derailleur then they would have to conclude that you didn't crash the derailleur to cause the bent.

#5 ·
WRT bending aluminum, some aluminum, 7075, 2024, even 6061, won't bend at a "great" angle even once. Soft aluminum, 3000 series, others, you can bend a lot. For that cage, it can be bent back if careful and it has no sharp bends, which it appears to NOT have. IF you have no LBS to go to to get a replacement!!!

#7 ·
Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. I thought those cages are not aluminium but steel. It's kinda weird how it's bent both side and only on the particular pulley. My bike never fell leaning nor crash (knock on wood). I tried straighten it up using long nose but it's really hard, I guess I have to disassemble it and bang it on the ground. From now on when I bike a new bike, I will check it before I take it out from the bike shop.

#9 ·
Then the RD pulley housing is not 7075, 2024, even 6061, cause I straightened mine before. Your RD pulley housing may be different.

I think with most aluminum parts you can tell by handling them if you can bend them or not. If you apply pressure and they are really stiff, don't keep going. But don't go too far, cause you ain't going back to kansas!

#11 ·
i'd try to straighten it but recognize it's going to be tough by eyeballing it. You can probably find a cage somewhere to replace it, but DRs are not that expensive either.

#13 ·
That cage sure does look bent. And let's not confuse that with the hanger. The hanger is a sacrificial item that is meant to break before anything else. You don't indicate that the hanger is bent anyway, but considering that kind of damage on a derailleur cage, I can't image the hanger hasn't also been bent.

As Srode said, derailleurs aren't terribly expensive. Hangers are even less expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.