RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Ultegra R8000 shifting issues ( rear mech)

I'm almost 3 months into full use of this group and I have to say I've been sort to let down by its performance to the point of considering of going back to Di2. The issue is with the 28th gear on the cassette,the chain hates to go there with a simple click,I have to go all the way at the end with the lever swing to make it happen and still the chain keeps doing that light “tactactactac” sound when in there anyway . No matter how many times I tune the cable/index shifting whether by myself or by going back to my very capable mechanic the whole thing works for about 20 kms and then it's SNAFU again. Probably my C64 frame without the California cross inside the down tube is not a very friendly setup for this group, but all the Colnago C64s no di2 I see around have the same setup. Even one of Colnago's main engineers told me he and his wife have the same setup on their bikes and no issues whatsoever. They do have DA and Super Records anyway.
    Don't even get me started about the lousy piece of plastic you have to turn on the rear mech to supposedly tune the cable tension....

Anyone else experiencing bad shifting with the R8000 ??
    Last edited by Devastazione; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:25 AM.

Rub it............
    I would reroute the cables to avoid the California cross.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I would reroute the cables to avoid the California cross.
    They are not California crossed now,but i’ve always sorted these issues with the California cross. Now the c64 cable entry ports are on the top of the down tube,so going California cross would be ugly..

Rub it............
    Have you checked the derailleur hanger alignment with a hanger alignment tool?
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Have you checked the derailleur hanger alignment with a hanger alignment tool?
    Check this. But before you do that, check the limiter adjustment screw.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It's the spirits of the Italian bike gods. You put Shimano Ultegra on a Colnago C-64? Shame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    It's the spirits of the Italian bike gods. You put Shimano Ultegra on a Colnago C-64? Shame.
    Yeah i’ve heard that before but i has no budget left and wanted good wheels. I’m about to order a super record anyway but it won’t be before march,so I need my r8000 to work properly for these remaining months.
    If you look at the latest Colnago commercial they show a c64 disc with DA and DA wheels anyway,and Colnago’s main engineer rides a DA c64. Still,I do see the point...

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Yeah i’ve heard that before but i has no budget left and wanted good wheels. I’m about to order a super record anyway but it won’t be before march,so I need my r8000 to work properly for these remaining months.
    If you look at the latest Colnago commercial they show a c64 disc with DA and DA wheels anyway,and Colnago’s main engineer rides a DA c64. Still,I do see the point...
    I'm just teasing. My wife has 9100 on her Colnago. Couldn't talk her out of it.

Have you tried a different chain and cassette?

Chorus is all the Campagnolo I ever get. Record and Super Record are basically the same thing with some extra carbon and titanium bits and pieces thrown in. Its more worthwhile to spend the money on wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Gawd! I would never defile a Shimano groupo like that.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I'm almost 3 months into full use of this group and I have to say I've been sort to let down by its performance to the point of considering of going back to Di2. The issue is with the 28th gear on the cassette,the chain hates to go there with a simple click,I have to go all the way at the end with the lever swing to make it happen and still the chain keeps doing that light “tactactactac” sound when in there anyway . No matter how many times I tune the cable/index shifting whether by myself or by going back to my very capable mechanic the whole thing works for about 20 kms and then it's SNAFU again. Probably my C64 frame without the California cross inside the down tube is not a very friendly setup for this group, but all the Colnago C64s no di2 I see around have the same setup. Even one of Colnago's main engineers told me he and his wife have the same setup on their bikes and no issues whatsoever. They do have DA and Super Records anyway.
    Don't even get me started about the lousy piece of plastic you have to turn on the rear mech to supposedly tune the cable tension....

Anyone else experiencing bad shifting with the R8000 ??
    1. limit screws
    2. henger alignment
    3. if you have internal routing you have to use proper plastic cable ends

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...