RoadBikeReview Member

Ultegra "Road Tubeless" Wheels

I bought a pair of second hand Ultegra "Road Tubeless" wheels. Does that mean they can't be used with tubes?

The guy that sold them to me had left a tire on the front wheel. I have tried unsuccessfully to get it off. I broke a tire lever and even with a knife can't get it off. It appears there is no tube under it though. I could have sworn the guy told me that they could be used with tubes but I guess he didn't run them that way.

I have never had this problem before with getting a tire off. I'm worried that even if I can use them with tubes, I wouldn't know how to get the tires off the rim far enough to insert a new tube especially if I was out on the road.

(This is the same pair I asked a while back about whether they could be used with an 11 speed cassette. I want to put them on an older bike that has a 10 speed cassette.)

Here's the same photo from before. A poster identified them as Ultegra 6700 wheels.
    Ultegra "Road Tubeless" Wheels-ultegrawheel.jpg

Thanks for the help.
    2018 Motobecane Immortal Pro
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite (mostly a retired bike now)

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The bead of the tire (that I am assuming is tubeless because it's so tight) needs to be pushed off the bead lock on the rim and into the channel in the center of the rim then you'll be able to get it off. You can use them w/ tubes, I'd definitely recommend using normal clincher tires if you do. They won't be as tight.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The bead of the tire (that I am assuming is tubeless because it's so tight) needs to be pushed off the bead lock on the rim and into the channel in the center of the rim then you'll be able to get it off. You can use them w/ tubes, I'd definitely recommend using normal clincher tires if you do. They won't be as tight.
    Okay, I do see some glue and the one side was still sticking. But it's a Michelin Pro 3 Race Service Course tire. I thought that's a clincher tire - are they able to be used for both tubeless and as clinchers? Also, will I need rim tape on these wheels to use tubes?

Thanks!
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    Okay, I do see some glue and the one side was still sticking. But it's a Michelin Pro 3 Race Service Course tire. I thought that's a clincher tire - are they able to be used for both tubeless and as clinchers? Also, will I need rim tape on these wheels to use tubes?

Thanks!
    Not glue, sealant. Those tires are NOT tubeless, so if there isn't a tube inside someone made a huge mistake as they are clinchers...only. No, no rim tape needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not glue, sealant. Those tires are NOT tubeless, so if there isn't a tube inside someone made a huge mistake as they are clinchers...only. No, no rim tape needed.
    It turns out there was a tube in there! So why the sealant? There was definitely some kind of sealant used because that was what was causing my initial problem getting the tire off. Once I got both sides of the tire unstuck, it wasn't hard to get it so I could have taken it off.

The rear wheel was unused. I put a tube and tire on it. What a struggle though to get the tire on!! This was a used tire as well from the old wheel that I'm replacing. I ended up breaking another tire lever before finally getting it on. Is this perhaps because these wheels are tubeless compatible? Are these known to be tighter than wheels strictly for clinchers?
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The sealant is probably left over from when it was run tubeless at some point & never cleaned off. As for your tire struggles, its a function of the rim & the tires being used. Narrowish rims paired with narrow tires = tight fit.

Next time if you're putting on tires at home & find it a struggle, I suggest using either some soapy water in a spray bottle or rubbing alcohol & spray it liberally on the inside of the tire. Once you are able to get the one side on, if you used soapy water then get a rag & wipe it dry. Then talc up your tube before putting it in. Talcum powder helps reduce friction between the tire & tube during installation.

I've had some pretty tight tire rim combo's but have never had any issue installing them or breaking tire levers. In most cases during installation of tires or tube,
    tire levers aren't even needed. Only during removal is when they're really needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I believe I mentioned to you before when you inquired about converting the wheel to 11 speed that it could be done by just filing down the freehub. The option of replacing the freehub with a 11 speed one was never offered by Shimano because the parts are not compatible & they would prefer people buying new wheels instead.

I did mention that Leonard Zinn first wrote about & successfully converted his old wheels by filing down the freehub to provide room for the extra cog in one of his articles. There are many videos on YT of people doing this exactly & it isn't very difficult. You're only removing less than 2mm of metal.

https://youtu.be/uzrzq6XMQ74

Of course the caveat is always do at your own risk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    CX are you feeling ok? Not only did you not point out that there is a wheels forum but you gave multiple Answers! Turning over a new leaf?

Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    CX are you feeling ok? Not only did you not point out that there is a wheels forum but you gave multiple Answers! Turning over a new leaf?
    Holy ****...I knew I didn't feel right this morning!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well if you cant change a tire without breaking a lever, that is a deal.... breaker.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    But it's a Michelin Pro 3 Race Service Course tire.
    These are a b***h to mount. Yes, tubeless compatible rims are harder to mount/dismount, but these tires aren't helping with the process either.

The rear wheel was unused. I put a tube and tire on it. What a struggle though to get the tire on!! This was a used tire as well from the old wheel that I'm replacing. I ended up breaking another tire lever before finally getting it on. Is this perhaps because these wheels are tubeless compatible? Are these known to be tighter than wheels strictly for clinchers?
    Yes and yes. But there is a technique for mounting a tire on a tubeless compatible rim and it doesn't require any levers, soap, etc. Start at the non-valve end and squeeze the tire bead into the rim channel while working your hands around the rim and finally to the valve end. Snap, tire in place! Once your learn this method, you will wonder what all the cursing was about.

Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    Awwww CX, you're turning into a softie in your old age.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just to be clear, I didn't have a problem getting the first side of the tire onto the wheel, it was the second part that was the issue. Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I am dreading a bit the first time I have a flat out on the road with this wheel but I have packed thick tire levers (the red ones) that I've never broken before. I bought a second set of these at my LBS to replace the two I broke that were of the thinner variety.

There was a bit of drama getting the wheel on my bike. I took it to my LBS to have them transfer the cassette, took it home, and couldn't get it on my bike. I couldn't get it through the brakes. I brought it back to the LBS and they adjusted the brake cable to loosen the brakes enough for it to mount. It's the same tire so it never occurred to me that the wheel's width difference would be enough to not be able to mount it in the same configuration.

On the plus side, I did my first ride with it today and absolutely love the Ultegra wheel. It replaced a Mavic Kysrium Elite that I have had problems with repeatedly (the infamous Mavic squeal). Rather than having it worked on yet again, I decided to replace it and couldn't be happier. The Ultegra is silent and just seems so much smoother. I'm pretty sure it's lighter. My bike seemed faster especially on climbs.
    2002 Jamis Eclipse

Just to be clear, I didn't have a problem getting the first side of the tire onto the wheel, it was the second part that was the issue. Anyway, thanks for all the tips. I am dreading a bit the first time I have a flat out on the road with this wheel but I have packed thick tire levers (the red ones) that I've never broken before. I bought a second set of these at my LBS to replace the two I broke that were of the thinner variety.

There was a bit of drama getting the wheel on my bike. I took it to my LBS to have them transfer the cassette, took it home, and couldn't get it on my bike. I couldn't get it through the brakes. I brought it back to the LBS and they adjusted the brake cable to loosen the brakes enough for it to mount. It's the same tire so it never occurred to me that the wheel's width difference would be enough to not be able to mount it in the same configuration.

On the plus side, I did my first ride with it today and absolutely love the Ultegra wheel. It replaced a Mavic Kysrium Elite that I have had problems with repeatedly (the infamous Mavic squeal). Rather than having it worked on yet again, I decided to replace it and couldn't be happier. The Ultegra is silent and just seems so much smoother. I'm pretty sure it's lighter. My bike seemed faster especially on climbs.
    You took it back to the shop rather than just adjusting the brake yourself?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Could have just deflated the tire so you could get it back on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You took it back to the shop rather than just adjusting the brake yourself?
    He isn't a rocket scientist! .... I can live with that!
    BANNED