Ultegra short cage with 32t cassette OK?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019

Ultegra short cage with 32t cassette OK?

Has anyone used a short cage Ultegra derailluer with a 32t casette?

I'm changing my Shimano 105 11 speed 11-28 cassette for a new Ultegra 11-32, (and new Ultegra chain). My current derailluer is the short cage Ultegra (RD R8000-SS) and Shimano says it's good for up to a 30 tooth cassette. Would I be OK using my short cage with the 32 tooth or am I asking for trouble?

I already bought the long cage (R8000-GS) but I'm questioning whether it's really necessary. I could still return the new one as it's still in the unopened box and within their 30 day return window.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barista View Post
    Has anyone used a short cage Ultegra derailluer with a 32t casette?

I'm changing my Shimano 105 11 speed 11-28 cassette for a new Ultegra 11-32, (and new Ultegra chain). My current derailluer is the short cage Ultegra (RD R8000-SS) and Shimano says it's good for up to a 30 tooth cassette. Would I be OK using my short cage with the 32 tooth or am I asking for trouble?

I already bought the long cage (R8000-GS) but I'm questioning whether it's really necessary. I could still return the new one as it's still in the unopened box and within their 30 day return window.
    Questions like yours always crack me up. Shimano, having a ton of engineers...and doing a ton of testing, specs the SS 8000 derailleur to work w/ a 30. We KNOW it will work w/ a 30 no matter what.
    Then comes the dozens and dozens if not hundreds of people asking if will work w/ a 32 or a 34. Having the derailleur shift up to whatever large cog you install on your bike is only half the story. It's usually the easy half. Many derailleur hangers are long enough that the derailleur will actually shift up to the 32 and clear it. The 8000 series derailleurs have a very effective b-tension screw that will work wonders to help this happen.

But.

And this is a very big but...the cage isn't long enough to wrap the extra chain needed for you to go big/big. Unless you size the chain a little long and then add some more b tension to keep it from bouncing all over the place when you're in or near small/small. Doing this is going to have a negative effect on your shifting performance. Sooooo...as you can see it's not a simple thing. Use the GS derailleur if you're over spec on the SS. And the GS is not a long cage, it's a medium cage. There aren't any long cage road derailleurs anymore.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    But think of the weight savings!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Glad I could crack you up. I get what you're saying and normally would agree wholeheartedly. Factory engineers know their stuff. It just seemed like such a small variance that I thought it was worth asking. The total capacity on the short cage is listed as 35 and I'm at 37 with this set-up.

FWIW....There's at least two You-Tube videos of guys showing their bikes working great with the same variance and supposedly no issues. I trust the guys on this board more. That's why I asked.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Since you already have the correct derailleur for your needs it only makes sense to use it. Learn how derailleur spec works and you'll never have any problems. Ignore it and someday you'll tear a derailleur off a bike and potentially ruin a frame.

As for cracking me up, you've been here for a month. I've been around (in the business) for a bit longer than that. I've seen this exact same question asked for the entire time I've been on this forum. Time and time again. You can understand where I'm coming from.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2019
    Understood. I'll use the new mid-cage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Barista View Post
    Understood. I'll use the new mid-cage.
    I'd try it before buying a new der. It depends on your hanger but chances are pretty good it'll be fine.

I use one speced for 28 max with 30 no problem.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Will it work? Probably.

Will it work well? Maybe, but maybe not.

As CX said, the most important thing is to be sure you have enough chain in the big-big combo.

You already have the mid-cage derailleur. Unless you are really strapped for cash, use it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You already have the mid-cage derailleur. Unless you are really strapped for cash, use it.
    Oh I didn't realize he already owned it. yeah that's a no-brainer.