Ultegra/Sram 10 speed crankset with 9 speed shimano drivetrain...
    Latte
    Aug 2014

Hello, was wondering if it was possible or what issues to look for when swapping a square taper 9 speed crank with an ultegra 10 speed crankset. Currently the bike has a 9 speed deore rear derailleur and a Tiagra 9 speed derailleur up front...and 9 speed tiagra flat bar shifters.

I did do a search and looks like the sram rival and apex cranksets have worked with 9 speed shimano drivetrains and shifters. Haven't been able to find anything on ultegra though.

Any concerns or changes I would have to make when installing a 10 speed ultegra or sram crankset on a my 9 speed bike? How does BCD come into play when installing? My BB shell is compatible with both right since it's not BB30? Sorry this is confusing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

10 speed chainrings will work fine with 9 speed. Your bb shell will accommodate any of the threaded bb varieties. BCD makes no difference when installing. Chainring size does, as in, if you change chainring size, your front derailleur will most likely require adjustment.

Latte
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    10 speed chainrings will work fine with 9 speed. Your bb shell will accommodate any of the threaded bb varieties. BCD makes no difference when installing. Chainring size does, as in, if you change chainring size, your front derailleur will most likely require adjustment.
    Thanks for clarifying. If I buy the Ultegra crankset will I need spacers to adjust for chain line?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

I don't think so, but don't know for sure. Can't recall the difference between mtb and road. I *think* that if you buy the ultegra external cup bb and have a 68mm bb shell you'll be fine. At any rate, if you stick with shimano, if spacers are required they will come with the bb and the instructions as far as whether they are needed or not are very easy to follow. Fine tuning your front derailleur will be the toughest part. Follow the instructions on the park tools website and that will also be fairly easy.