Ulterga 8000 crank set
    Oct 2007

Ulterga 8000 crank set

Hi All,
    A question for a riding buddy.
    A crank set that came with 52-36 chainrings....is there any reason the small ring can not be changed to a bigger 39 .
    Shimano indicates the 52 -36 must be used together.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3810 View Post
    Hi All,
    A question for a riding buddy.
    A crank set that came with 52-36 chainrings....is there any reason the small ring can not be changed to a bigger 39 .
    Shimano indicates the 52 -36 must be used together.
    Thanks
    Shimano produces 130 mm BCD standard chainrings and compact chaingrings (I think they are 110 mm).
    They don't, afaik, produce 39T compact small chainring, so they will say it is not compatible.
    On the other hand, you have other manufacturers, like Stronglight, that probably produce it...so if you yo non Shimano you have an option.
    Another thing, chainrings have shifting pins, ramps and specual teeth to improve shifting. Manufacturers produce set of chainrings to match each other to get most optimal shifting. In theory, if this is not matched your shifting will suffer, in practice you will hardly notice much difference.
    So, I wouldn't hesitate to put 39t inner chainring in your case...just find the one with right bcd.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

Neophyte
    smokva's answer about BCD is outdated by about 5-6 years for Dura-Ace and Ultegra.

For Ultegra R8000 the same cranks will with with everything from 53-39 to 50-34. However, Shimano is particular in what ring combinations you can use (at least in their literature). I think it has to do with optimizing shifting smoothness. But I think plenty of people use combos that aren't officially supported. The inner ring can be found for really cheap, if you want to try it, it should work okay.

Previous thread covering same topic :
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/52-36-52-39-a-362874.html

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokva View Post
    Shimano produces 130 mm BCD standard chainrings and compact chaingrings (I think they are 110 mm).
    They don't, afaik, produce 39T compact small chainring, so they will say it is not compatible.
    On the other hand, you have other manufacturers, like Stronglight, that probably produce it...so if you yo non Shimano you have an option.
    Another thing, chainrings have shifting pins, ramps and specual teeth to improve shifting. Manufacturers produce set of chainrings to match each other to get most optimal shifting. In theory, if this is not matched your shifting will suffer, in practice you will hardly notice much difference.
    So, I wouldn't hesitate to put 39t inner chainring in your case...just find the one with right bcd.

Wow...you are so off the back. Shimano has had one BCD for all chainring sizes for nearly 10 years. They went away from 130/110 5 arm spiders and went to one 4 arm spider so long ago that it's been revised once since the original. ALL rings fit on the same crank arm/spider.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Oct 2007
    Thanks.
    Now we know it will actually fit onto the cranks it will be a cheap experiment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    The inner rings are pretty affordable, but Shimano sure is proud of their Ultegra outer chainrings; they cost about 2/3 of a brand new crank set.

OTOH, a DuraAce outer ring is only about 40% of the crank set cost.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    The inner rings are pretty affordable, but Shimano sure is proud of their Ultegra outer chainrings; they cost about 2/3 of a brand new crank set.

OTOH, a DuraAce outer ring is only about 40% of the crank set cost.
    Anyone know where I can pick up a Dura Ace 9000 outer ring? I'd like to get a spare for my wife's bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Anyone know where I can pick up a Dura Ace 9000 outer ring? I'd like to get a spare for my wife's bike.
    https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=12

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Thanks. I just looked there an hour or so ago and saw it. Not cheap for being on sale. They must have just got them in, I looked all over the place a few weeks ago.

Banned forever.....or not
    The pickup pins on the 52 are in different positions to work with a 39....It will still shift fine while in the saddle. You might has minor problems if you shift from small to large while standing, and putting a lot of power on.
    It will work, but not perfectly.
    Some years ago, I was using a 53-42 and after a few years, decided to put on a 39. I had minor problems like this.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Oct 2007
    Well the new ring has been fitted and you can certainly feel the difference in shifting between the 39 and 52 rings.
    The shift is quite sluggish, not as crisp as the paired combination that Shimano recommends.
    Not to sure at this stage if we will put the 36 back on or get a 53 to mate with the new 39......nothing is ever simple.
    At least its not my bike

Banned Sock Puppet
    Is the FD the same for these two cranksets?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Oct 2007
    We didn't make any adjustment to the FD,didn't think of any reason why we would have to.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Is the FD the same for these two cranksets?
    Yep. Shimano only make one for each line, either clamp or braze-on. There is only one 'size' for all chain rings.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Yep. Shimano only make one for each line, either clamp or braze-on. There is only one 'size' for all chain rings.
    Interesting. I was pretty sure that the arc of the large ring should be close to the arc of the FD, but wasn't sure how much the arc of the small ring affects shift quality.
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Wow...you are so off the back. Shimano has had one BCD for all chainring sizes for nearly 10 years. They went away from 130/110 5 arm spiders and went to one 4 arm spider so long ago that it's been revised once since the original. ALL rings fit on the same crank arm/spider.
    I'm time traveler, havent caught on last 10 years yet
    I must admit, sometimes I get lost on 1000 different standards that change each year.

Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...