unknown brake pad set screw size???
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

unknown brake pad set screw size???

I have fixed the problem but I'm just asking this out of curiousity. I replaced the brake pads on my '08 Tarmac Elite last night. The brakes are not Shimano but they are a very close look-a-like with no name. The set screw that keeps the pads from sliding out on the brakes requires a hex/allen wrench. The problem was, a 3mm was too big and a 2.5mm wrench was too small. I tried standard/english size wrenches and none of those fit either. I was perplexed. In the end I removed the set screws by grabbing the sides of the screw heads with pliers. Luckily they weren't too tight so this worked. Then I replaced them with the screws that came with my Shimano pads which are installed using a 2mm wrench. Anyway, have you heard of a screw head this size? If so, what size is it? 2.75mm?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Torx?

Quote Originally Posted by namillis View Post
    I have fixed the problem but I'm just asking this out of curiousity. I replaced the brake pads on my '08 Tarmac Elite last night. The brakes are not Shimano but they are a very close look-a-like with no name. The set screw that keeps the pads from sliding out on the brakes requires a hex/allen wrench. The problem was, a 3mm was too big and a 2.5mm wrench was too small. I tried standard/english size wrenches and none of those fit either. I was perplexed. In the end I removed the set screws by grabbing the sides of the screw heads with pliers. Luckily they weren't too tight so this worked. Then I replaced them with the screws that came with my Shimano pads which are installed using a 2mm wrench. Anyway, have you heard of a screw head this size? If so, what size is it? 2.75mm?
    I'm guessing it was either 1) a Torx bolt or 2) somebody had stripped out a 2.5 mm by using a cheap wrench or bad technique.

Militant commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I'm guessing it was either 1) a Torx bolt or 2) somebody had stripped out a 2.5 mm by using a cheap wrench or bad technique.
    +1...those tiny set screws are easy to round out with an ill-fitting hex key, especially if they're gummed up.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Good thoughts but...

It's definitely a hex head, not torx, and its un damaged, no crud and not rounded out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Bad wrench

Quote Originally Posted by namillis View Post
    It's definitely a hex head, not torx, and its un damaged, no crud and not rounded out.
    There is virtually no chance it is anything but metric. I think the only suspects left in this equation are the allen wrenches you've been using or that your knock-off brakes have low grade parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Bad Wrench,
    Since none of my metric or English hex wrenches fit (and I'm fairly sure there is no such thing as a 2.75mm hex) and I'm sure its a hex bolt that has not been deformed, I agree that it must be a cheap screw (or 4 cheap screws). The brakes work great so I'm not going to criticize them. I was really just putting this out there to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Looking for my Amish Love
    You don't even need those. A Belgian buddy was a Pro wrench for CSC & he took those out so when/if the pads wear down on carbon rims, the set screws won't gouge the carbon. He took them out of the brakes & threw them in the gutter. Your pads only come out aft, so how are the pads going to fall out anyways.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/