Is this an upgrade? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Your Cervelo brakes should be dual pivot.
    That's what I was thinking, but all I remembered about those brakes were they felt a bit soft- even compared to SRAM Rivals.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    That's what I was thinking, but all I remembered about those brakes were they felt a bit soft- even compared to SRAM Rivals.
    Like most things Cervelo...except of track frames.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    If you have Cervelo-branded calipers, you may very well find new brakes an upgrade. I think the were rebadged Tektros back then. Still, a set of good brake pads might bring them up a bit. I like Kool Stops, but there are several brands out there that make good pads for various conditions. Again, it's a cheap upgrade. You're not going to suddenly stop like a hydraulic disc brake bike even with the best rim brake calipers, but it's worth a shot.

Brakesets at the 105 level are relatively cheap and durable, so shop around and do whatever makes sense to you. Again, don't get carried away. Make an honest determination of how long you will own this bike. Even if you upgrade one day, you may keep it around as a foul weather bike to save your "nice" bike. Such investments won't likely result in increased market value at the end, but might make the bike more valuable to you while you own it. Only you can make that call.
    This sounds right.

Maybe I'll just start with new brakes and take it from there.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    Maybe I'll just start with new brakes and take it from there.
    I think this is your best bet.

And let me elaborate on Duriel's post #4. When Shimano went to under the handlebar shift cabling, they opened up a whole host of problems. They had to re-design the shifters so there is tighter wrapping of cable inside the shifters. This results in a shifter that chews up cables in a relatively short period of time - around 2000 miles. I've already changed a few of these on my 6800 bike. I have never had this problem on my 5600 bike.

IMHO, look for a mid-cage 5600, 5700, 6600 or 6700 (GS) rear derailleur on eBay, so you can change to an 11-28T 10-speed cassette. If you want lower low gearing, Shimano made a 12-30T which will work. You will just be giving up the 11 tooth cog.

I would leave the rest of your group set alone, seriously.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i like the feel of my 6800/9000 more than my 6500 but to be honest the 6500 is more durable. chain and casette lasts longer. if it were me, i would not be changing components unless either something doesn't work or this is some special bike, otherwise use it and enjoy and worry about new components for your new build when ever that happens.

i'll throw a caveat in. my 6500 set up is 12-25 and 53-39(rear and front). the ratios have their limitations on the toughest of climbs. my current road bike is mid -compact with 11-28 but even that is insufficient when i go to europe and spend time in the alps. so if the gearing doesn't work for the types of riding you do that could be a reason to swap. i'm not one to buy used parts for my bike. other than casettes and chains i doubt you'd find anything new.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 02-16-2019 at 04:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    If I went with new brakes (either 105 or Ultegra or whatever), would they be compatible with my shifters that are Ultegra 6600?

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    If I went with new brakes (either 105 or Ultegra or whatever), would they be compatible with my shifters that are Ultegra 6600?
    Nope. Pull ratio is different. Here is a good video explaining this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beSUvIIwOto
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Pack Fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nope. Pull ratio is different. Here is a good video explaining this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=beSUvIIwOto
    Very true, and I should have pointed that out. But, there is (for instance), this combo:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/202581660521?chn=ps
    and
    https://planetcyclery.com/shimano-10...waAh5KEALw_wcB
    to make a complete silver 5600 caliper set for $65 and shipping.
    There's also this at the Ultegra 6600 level for $65 (including shipping).

NOS stuff is still out there- you just have to hunt for it a little more and jump when you find it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12