Upgrade To Campy Disc Brakes... The frugal way.
    RoadBikeReview Member

Upgrade To Campy Disc Brakes... The frugal way.

looked around and couldn't find anything definitive about what is needed to upgrade my Chorus 11 groupset to disc brakes. Of course, I don't want to have to replace anything that isn't necessary as it all works perfectly. I know I'll have to get the Levers and Rotors. The real question is do I need to replace the Chorus 11 Cranks(4 arm) and Rear Derailleur?

Any experience and advice on the matter is welcome!
    "When everybody thinks alike, nobody is thinking."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Assuming that your frame and fork have disc brake mounts, you'll need shifters, brake calipers, rotors and disc compatible hubs. No other drive parts need to be changed.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by boleiro View Post
    looked around and couldn't find anything definitive about what is needed to upgrade my Chorus 11 groupset to disc brakes. Of course, I don't want to have to replace anything that isn't necessary as it all works perfectly. I know I'll have to get the Levers and Rotors. The real question is do I need to replace the Chorus 11 Cranks(4 arm) and Rear Derailleur?

No, you'll need TRP HyRd calipers and rotors, and probably compresssionless housing...there's isn't a need to replace your shifters. At least TRP claims that HyRd works with all levers on the market.

OTOH...you're already talking needing a new frameset, and new wheels....basically everything but the cockpit anyway, what is a new groupset on top of all that expense?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    To go disks, you might as well go NEW BIKE!
    Wheels, fork?, shifters, brakes, disks, hydro cabling, you crazy?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks 202cycle! Yes, a new disc compatible frame and wheelset is needed. I am looking at new framesets. Before going deciding to go with a disc frameset... I wanted to see what exactly needed to be replaced on my current drive train to have an idea of the total cost of the upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    durial and Marc... great points. I am already in the market for a Frameset. Wheelset, ouch but okay. these are the known expenses and I'm okay with that. However, if I can save money by not replacing components I already have and happy with, then even better! Once I have the exact figure on the conversion, I'll find out how crazy I am. #yearendbonus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    No, you'll need TRP HyRd calipers and rotors, and probably compresssionless housing...there's isn't a need to replace your shifters. At least TRP claims that HyRd works with all levers on the market.

OTOH...you're already talking needing a new frameset, and new wheels....basically everything but the cockpit anyway, what is a new groupset on top of all that expense?
    I have a bike with TPR HyRd/Chorus 11 EPS, and I cannot recommend this setup. While it works, the Chorus/Campy lever do not provide sufficient travel with these calipers and they get way too close the handlebar. This is a known issue and there are hacks ranging from changing cable clamp location to outright caliper actuation arm replacement to try address this.

Because typical disc frame has wider rear dropout width, Chorus has a HO(Hydraulic Optimized) version intended address this. I have non-HO version, and using this with disc makes the chainline a bit "noisier" and no amount of EPS tweaking I do can take it out. In fact, I've decided to move this groupset to one of my rim brake frame.

I believe you will need the H11 shifters as there is no Chorus disc lever/shifter, just make sure they are compatible work with your version of Chorus.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    durial and Marc... great points. I am already in the market for a Frameset. Wheelset, ouch but okay. these are the known expenses and I'm okay with that. However, if I can save money by not replacing components I already have and happy with, then even better! Once I have the exact figure on the conversion, I'll find out how crazy I am. #yearendbonus

A) If you want proper hydraulic brakes....you need new levers and ofc the calipers as well as wheels/frameset....and if you need new levers/brakes you may well be cheaper off getting an entire new groupset, depending on your taste. How expensive it gets depends on how outrageous regional retail pricing is on SRAM/Campagnolo/Shimano in your market.

Right now TexasCyclesport has a 12s Chorus hydraulic build kit for $1,229 on sale as it is normally $2K; and Shimano GRX 800 for $1,329 in regular pricing

BUT.....the Chorus 12s hydro levers and brakes alone are $850 for the pair, retail....and presumes you already have a 12s build kit....and ofc the 105-level Shimano hydro build kits would be far cheaper still.

B) If you can live with cable-pull disc brakes or cable-pull hydraulic brakes; you just need the calipers and housing and the wheels/frameset. Looking at maybe $300 in parts plus labor in addition to the frameset/wheels

Either way....this is $,$$$ money at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I have a bike with TPR HyRd/Chorus 11 EPS, and I cannot recommend this setup. While it works, the Chorus/Campy lever do not provide sufficient travel with these calipers and they get way too close the handlebar. This is a known issue and there are hacks ranging from changing cable clamp location to outright caliper actuation arm replacement to try address this.

Because typical disc frame has wider rear dropout width, Chorus has a HO(Hydraulic Optimized) version intended address this. I have non-HO version, and using this with disc makes the chainline a bit "noisier" and no amount of EPS tweaking I do can take it out. In fact, I've decided to move this groupset to one of my rim brake frame.

I believe you will need the H11 shifters as there is no Chorus disc lever/shifter, just make sure they are compatible work with your version of Chorus.

Yea, I've seen conflicting reports. You use compressionless housing, or the stock Campy stuff?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    good info Marc... yes, it's serious money. Good thing I don't have kids, or a wife! But I do have a limit to my insanity when it comes to cycling as there really is no limit to what you CAN spend. I was thinking 12 speed at first, but then I really would have to replace everything. So this is where I though it might make money sense to go 11 speed and only replace what I need to... given the savings made sense. In the end just going with the full 12s set might be the best choice when considering money and future proofing. It's never simple, is it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    A) If you want proper hydraulic brakes....you need new levers and ofc the calipers as well as wheels/frameset....and if you need new levers/brakes you may well be cheaper off getting an entire new groupset, depending on your taste. How expensive it gets depends on how outrageous regional retail pricing is on SRAM/Campagnolo/Shimano in your market.

Right now TexasCyclesport has a 12s Chorus hydraulic build kit for $1,229 on sale as it is normally $2K; and Shimano GRX 800 for $1,329 in regular pricing

BUT.....the Chorus 12s hydro levers and brakes alone are $850 for the pair, retail....and presumes you already have a 12s build kit....and ofc the 105-level Shimano hydro build kits would be far cheaper still.

B) If you can live with cable-pull disc brakes or cable-pull hydraulic brakes; you just need the calipers and housing and the wheels/frameset. Looking at maybe $300 in parts plus labor in addition to the frameset/wheels

Either way....this is $,$$$ money at the end.

Yea, I've seen conflicting reports. You use compressionless housing, or the stock Campy stuff?
    Jagwire cables and compressionless casing.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sounds to me that if you are frugal, you'll just stick with your rim brakes. By the time you swap all that stuff out and sell the parts (including your frame) for close to nothing, you'd be closing in on being able to afford a second bike with disc brakes.

If you don't insist on Campy, you can probably get a 105 or Ultegra equipped one now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

I don't have any experience converting Chorus, but I did what you're asking about with Record 11 EPS (V3). Stripped everything off of a rim-brake frame and installed it on a disc brake frame. The only thing I had to change was the shifter/brakes, which come as an assembly. I paid $475 for the shifter/brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Only thing you had to change was the shifters/brakes? What about the wheel hubs/rims? ... and there are the hydro cables, but I don't want to get too picky.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Only thing you had to change was the shifters/brakes? What about the wheel hubs/rims? ... and there are the hydro cables, but I don't want to get too picky.
    Yeah, obviously I used different wheels. (The OP was interested in changes to the Campy group.)

The hydro cables are part of the shifter/brake assembly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Sounds to me that if you are frugal, you'll just stick with your rim brakes. By the time you swap all that stuff out and sell the parts (including your frame) for close to nothing, you'd be closing in on being able to afford a second bike with disc brakes.

If you don't insist on Campy, you can probably get a 105 or Ultegra equipped one now.
    The obvious question is what problem is the OP having with rim brakes. Not once in the past few hundred thousand miles have I been in a situation where I couldn't lock my wheels with rim brakes. So unless the OP is doing a lot of heavy descending in very rough weather, you have to wonder where this "upgrade" fits in a "value proposition" world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hey Kerry, the main reason for the switch is descents as here in Utah I almost always ride some steep descents. Factor in car traffic on these descents and sometimes you just have to apply the brakes... a lot. It can get scary when you have to keep riding the brakes when you have slower traffic in front coming down the canyons. I have looked into going back to good old metal rims, but I really like having an all round wheelset as I don't like swapping out wheels for specific rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Tomato Coupe... what shifters/brakes did you buy?

after reading up on everything, I should be able to use my existing chorus group set with no problems. If I Keep the shifter/brakes I have now, I can go the TRP route... though I would prefer a true Hydraulic Shifter. Been thinking of getting the H11 Shifters and calling it good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    In the mountains, there is no way RB can compete with DB's, NO WAY. Not talking rac'in, talking being stuck behind cars and possible wet roads. Drag braking with rim brakes is a .... well.... DRAG! GL!
    BANNED

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    hey Kerry, the main reason for the switch is descents as here in Utah I almost always ride some steep descents. Factor in car traffic on these descents and sometimes you just have to apply the brakes... a lot. It can get scary when you have to keep riding the brakes when you have slower traffic in front coming down the canyons. I have looked into going back to good old metal rims, but I really like having an all round wheelset as I don't like swapping out wheels for specific rides.
    I guess they make sense for carbon rims, but what's the argument for using carbon rims? You can get a very strong, light set of aluminum rimmed wheels that do it all IMO. And if you've blown what $1500 ... $2000 on a set of wheels, what's with being so frugal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Tomato Coupe... what shifters/brakes did you buy?

after reading up on everything, I should be able to use my existing chorus group set with no problems. If I Keep the shifter/brakes I have now, I can go the TRP route... though I would prefer a true Hydraulic Shifter. Been thinking of getting the H11 Shifters and calling it good.
    I was upgrading a Campy EPS group, so I used Campy H11 EPS shifters and brakes. (The shifters and brakes come together, along with the hydraulic lines.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not decided on a wheelset yet. I might even go with an aluminum disc wheelset. But, rim brakes, even on an aluminum box rim, going down guardsmen pass is a forearm workout!

and the word Frugal was a joke... sorry if that didn't come across.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not decided on a wheelset yet. I might even go with an aluminum disc wheelset. But, rim brakes, even on an aluminum box rim, going down guardsmen pass is a forearm workout!
    I live in Colorado, so I'm pretty used to long, fast descents. My all time speed record, however, was set coming down Guardsman Pass. I would have liked to have had disc brakes at the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I live in Colorado, so I'm pretty used to long, fast descents. My all time speed record, however, was set coming down Guardsman Pass. I would have liked to have had disc brakes at the time.
    HaHaHa... glad you know what I'm talking about!