Upgrade Suggestions?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Upgrade Suggestions?

I purchased a Specialized Secteur Sport. It has Shimano Sora levers, Sora front derailleur, Tiagra rear derailleur, Shimano FC-R453 Crank with a triple 50x39x30. Since this is my first road bike in 30 years it was a good place for me to start. I've been riding for 4 months now and i'm up to about 50 miles per week with my goal being to ride in a century next summer. I envision my mileage continuing to increase over time. Typical roads are fairly flat but have some fairly good size hills that I have to deal with.

I actually like the triple front crank so i'm not in a hurry to get rid of those and I don't think I will be getting into racing so moving to lightweight components doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

My issues are that I don't like the thumb shifter on Sora levers so I'd like to upgrade those to maybe 105? Do they make a 105 for a nine speed with a triple crank? If not any other suggestions?

My other issue is that even after the bike recently came back from LBS it still doesn't shift real well either up or down on the front derailleur. I recognize some of this might be user error as i continue to learn how to ride but even when i'm on my trainer it seems as if 50% of the time when i shift it doesn't catch. Based on comments I've read on other posts it appears that changing the front derailleur won't have much impact. Will upgrading my crank to a 105 make a big difference?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    for the FD, maybe try a different bike shop for a different point of view?

Shimano does not make new 105 9 speed shifters, that would be 5500 and 105 10 speed is called 5600 or 5700(5700 being the newest with different cable routing that goes under the bars.)

Triples are great for hills and endurance riding, glad you like it!

Anyway, I would nab some Tiagra shifters(9 speed) before Tiagra is more widely available in 10 speed if you want to get that.

a cheaper shifter with TONS of value is Micro Shift 9 speed. I have them and they are MUCH more positive then sora.

if you must upgrade something else, since you are not into light weight, you may want to get some nice hand built wheels that are bullet proof.(32 hole 3 cross. depending on weight of you
    Bikes:
    Felt F95 2011: my main road ride

Jamis Dragon 29 Sport 2011: my main MTB(Steel is Real)

Raleigh Record 1976: Single speed in the making

Possible Fuji cross frame I might get... and paint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    thebikingcello,

Thanks for the suggestions. Does it really make sense for the amount that i'm riding to switch over to 10 speed components so i can upgrade to 105 or Ultegra? I have a hard time justifying that much money at this point. Would seem to make more sense to me to maybe move to Tiagra shifters and then wait a couple years and possibly invest in a higher quality bike.

What are the benefits of moving to "bullet proof" wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Sorry to butt in on the thread, but I'm in the same situation right now and my question doesn't really seem to merit a new thread.

I'm really happy with my bike right now with the exception of the Sora thumb shifters. Old stock 5500 series 105 shifters are frequently available on Ebay for less than new(er) 4500 series Tiagra. Is there any reason not to go with the old 105s (except of course for the whole Ebay counterfeit good ripoff scenario)?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think it is more savvy to change your entire chain ring system to a 10 speed rather than keep a 9 speed. This is so cos there are more 10 speed components than 9 speed components and they are easier to replace in the future. You may wanna try campy or sram too if you wanna change whole sale. Bullet proof wheels are great especially you are going over distances that have many potholes. Lastly, 9 speed cranks do not work well with 10 speed drive trains because of the distance between the chain rings. 105 Ultegra and Dura Ace cranks have varying differences, but little to talk about unless you are competing =).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    As thebikingcello suggested, try a different LBS for fd adjustment. Many, if not most, shops just don't know how to properly adjust a triple. See if you can find a shop that caters to touring cyclists.
    Upgrading? I can definitely see getting new "brifters". Tiagra 9-speed. Bombproof wheels are the way to go if you can afford them. If not, save up for them (including cassette, rim strip, tires, and tubes if you just want to swap wheels back and forth).

RoadBikeReview Member
    BTW 10 speed is nice, but 9 speed is pretty nice too if you ask me. Sora brifters are pretty not positive shifting. Tiagra brifters will make shifts feel more smooth and crisp. So will a shimano crank(tiagra level shifts nice compared to FSA's if you ask me)

The benifit to "bomb proof wheels" is that they are strong wheels that do not go out of true, but not extra light wheels. Made by a really nice shop, they will last years and years with the beginning season tune up. or two. Same goes for 9 speed things.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    So i got a good deal on some Tiagra shifters on CL for $100 so i picked those up. For me i think it makes a lot more sense to stick with the 9 speed then to spend several hundred dollars upgrading all the components to 10 speed. I think i'd be better off to wait a couple of years and get a new bike with everything upgraded.

I've got a Shimano FC-R53 crank, which i'm sure is on the very low end. Is it much of an upgrade to go to the Tiagra 9 speed crank??

The comments on the wheels make sense but i did some searching on Google yesterday and couldn't find much for bullet proof wheels. Suggestions on where to find something like that.

Thanks guys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The crank you have now if perfectly fine

for the wheels, ask your LBS about them Building you a set.

or these wheels is "my image" of great training wheels. Many racers use them for bad road training. not that bad of a price either... but I'd say go to your shop or shops(Local) to support them so they will support you if anything bad happens.

Road - Build Your Own Custom Wheels - Mavic Open Pro Full Custom - 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace, or DT 240s - Bicycle Wheel Warehouse (the 105 build with brass nips and silver spokes.)
    Bikes: