Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Upgrades for 2017 Emonda S6

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
I've had this bike about 2 years now. It came stock with ultegra 6800. Most of my riding lately has been on my tacx vortex smart trainer and I was looking at upgrading my bike components as well as my trainer. For components I was thinking of stepping up to wireless shifting and either staying ultegra or stepping up to dura ace. I'm not sure where to start with upgrades however and am very open to suggestions.
Trainer wise I was looking into a turbo trainer with cassette as I think it would give me more to play with. I ride about 60 or more miles a week on my trainer. I'd appreciate any guidance as I'm still new two cycling I'm just getting deeper into the hobby.
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Emonda-S-6-Road-Bike-2016/3QLI
That is a link to the bike to see what it has currently.

#2 ·
Shimano doesn't make any wireless shifting, only SRAM does w/ etap. If you want to change to electronic shifting Shimano does Di2 and it's wired. Not sure why you'd want to upgrade a bunch of expensive parts if you're only riding inside but whatever you want to do.
If I have to ride indoors I use rollers so no opinions on trainers...although the ones w/ cassettes mounted on them are cool, you don't kill tires.

#3 ·
How much road riding do you do? Is there a problem with your current bike? It seems if you are mostly on trainers, what you have is more than adequate. DA is a bit overkill IMO unless someone else is paying for it. Consider upgrading your wheels instead. For trainers, get some rollers to hone your technique and handling skills. Don't be one of those that's equipped like a pro but rides like a joe.

#5 ·
Well, like I said, Shimano don't do wireless. If you want that you'll have to change to SRAM Red etap. If you want electronic shifting and don't have to have wireless, then you can get Ultegra or D/A Di2. For riding outdoors wheels are the best place to spend your upgrade dollars. You said '17 S6? No such bike...S5 was top 'S' bike, do you mean SL6?

#10 ·
You can buy them just fine. Just won't be able to use them on your current bike. The frame is not made for disc, and you just can't add additional gusseting and material to make it work. Disc brake mounts have to be designed and manufactured into the frame and fork. You would need to buy a new frame with provisions for disc brakes or just get a new bike with disc brakes.

#12 ·
Thank you so much for the response. Well i guess i could look at the wireless mechanical brakes version. Which is alot cheaper anyway lol. As far as a trainer I am looking at elite direto and the tacx neo. I like the elite because of the built in power meter

#14 ·
To echo and amplify what others are implying, there doesn't appear to be ANY performance available to you in your upgrade quest. High-end wheels would be where most of any possible performance improvements would lie, and even there the incremental improvement would be small. A two year old bike is hardly obsolete. Ride it a lot and things will wear out. Then you can justify buying higher line parts since you would need new stuff anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.