RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Upgrades for 2017 Emonda S6

I've had this bike about 2 years now. It came stock with ultegra 6800. Most of my riding lately has been on my tacx vortex smart trainer and I was looking at upgrading my bike components as well as my trainer. For components I was thinking of stepping up to wireless shifting and either staying ultegra or stepping up to dura ace. I'm not sure where to start with upgrades however and am very open to suggestions.
    Trainer wise I was looking into a turbo trainer with cassette as I think it would give me more to play with. I ride about 60 or more miles a week on my trainer. I'd appreciate any guidance as I'm still new two cycling I'm just getting deeper into the hobby.
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Tre...Bike-2016/3QLI
    That is a link to the bike to see what it has currently.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Shimano doesn't make any wireless shifting, only SRAM does w/ etap. If you want to change to electronic shifting Shimano does Di2 and it's wired. Not sure why you'd want to upgrade a bunch of expensive parts if you're only riding inside but whatever you want to do.
    If I have to ride indoors I use rollers so no opinions on trainers...although the ones w/ cassettes mounted on them are cool, you don't kill tires.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much road riding do you do? Is there a problem with your current bike? It seems if you are mostly on trainers, what you have is more than adequate. DA is a bit overkill IMO unless someone else is paying for it. Consider upgrading your wheels instead. For trainers, get some rollers to hone your technique and handling skills. Don't be one of those that's equipped like a pro but rides like a joe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    These upgrades are for when I go back outdoors. I do mostly trainer now because of weather being crap

Quote Originally Posted by boo71886 View Post
    These upgrades are for when I go back outdoors. I do mostly trainer now because of weather being crap
    Well, like I said, Shimano don't do wireless. If you want that you'll have to change to SRAM Red etap. If you want electronic shifting and don't have to have wireless, then you can get Ultegra or D/A Di2. For riding outdoors wheels are the best place to spend your upgrade dollars. You said '17 S6? No such bike...S5 was top 'S' bike, do you mean SL6?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Well, like I said, Shimano don't do wireless. If you want that you'll have to change to SRAM Red etap. If you want electronic shifting and don't have to have wireless, then you can get Ultegra or D/A Di2. For riding outdoors wheels are the best place to spend your upgrade dollars. You said '17 S6? No such bike...S5 was top 'S' bike, do you mean SL6?
    Yes S5 it's a great bike but I wanted to change to hydro brakes, maybe a more comfortable saddle, add a power meter. The 6800 is really nice and smooth to me so I thought the upgrade would be really nice. Plus the guy at my bike shop will let me trade in towards anything new and gives me great pricing

Yes S5 it's a great bike but I wanted to change to hydro brakes, maybe a more comfortable saddle, add a power meter. The 6800 is really nice and smooth to me so I thought the upgrade would be really nice. Plus the guy at my bike shop will let me trade in towards anything new and gives me great pricing
    So you're going to get a new bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    You realize you cannot upgrade your current back to hydraulic disc brakes, right?

If you want disc brakes, you need a whole new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Nope didnt realize that. This was my first bike and although I've been riding for awhile I've never upgraded. Is there a specific reason I cant buy hydraulic brakes for it?

Rub it............
    Nope didnt realize that. This was my first bike and although I've been riding for awhile I've never upgraded. Is there a specific reason I cant buy hydraulic brakes for it?
    You can buy them just fine. Just won't be able to use them on your current bike. The frame is not made for disc, and you just can't add additional gusseting and material to make it work. Disc brake mounts have to be designed and manufactured into the frame and fork. You would need to buy a new frame with provisions for disc brakes or just get a new bike with disc brakes.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    You realize you cannot upgrade your current back to hydraulic disc brakes, right?

If you want disc brakes, you need a whole new bike.
    Well.... he did say "hydro brakes". Not "disc brakes".

There is an option for hydro rim brakes.
    https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produ...shydraulic-rim
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Thank you so much for the response. Well i guess i could look at the wireless mechanical brakes version. Which is alot cheaper anyway lol. As far as a trainer I am looking at elite direto and the tacx neo. I like the elite because of the built in power meter

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    You can buy them just fine. Just won't be able to use them on your current bike. The frame is not made for disc, and you just can't add additional gusseting and material to make it work. Disc brake mounts have to be designed and manufactured into the frame and fork. You would need to buy a new frame with provisions for disc brakes or just get a new bike with disc brakes.
    Not to mention he'd need new wheels as well as there's no place to mount rotors. And the frame spacing is different. The SRAM hydraulic rim brakes are not available w/ etap shifters, only mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Thank you so much for the response. Well i guess i could look at the wireless mechanical brakes version. Which is alot cheaper anyway lol. As far as a trainer I am looking at elite direto and the tacx neo. I like the elite because of the built in power meter
    To echo and amplify what others are implying, there doesn't appear to be ANY performance available to you in your upgrade quest. High-end wheels would be where most of any possible performance improvements would lie, and even there the incremental improvement would be small. A two year old bike is hardly obsolete. Ride it a lot and things will wear out. Then you can justify buying higher line parts since you would need new stuff anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think we have found a buyer for a ..... peleton!!!!!

Ring the Bell!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    To echo and amplify what others are implying, there doesn't appear to be ANY performance available to you in your upgrade quest. High-end wheels would be where most of any possible performance improvements would lie, and even there the incremental improvement would be small. A two year old bike is hardly obsolete. Ride it a lot......
    This. That way you will be in really good shape which will make you way faster than any upgrades. Who was it that said "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein