Upgrading from 9 to 10 worth it, Rear Derailleur Question? On a Trek 2.1 09 (Ultegra)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Upgrading from 9 to 10 worth it, Rear Derailleur Question? On a Trek 2.1 09 (Ultegra)

Hi Guys,

This is my first bike that I got on the cheap and I've been slowly upgrading parts on it with Ultegra SLs. The last thing to upgrade are my shifters. The old owner mixed them up and one is Ultegra and one is Tiagra STI. I'm looking to get Ultegra SL shifters to match my group set. Most of the ones I'm seeing are 2x10 where I'm currently running 2x9 with that setup.

My Questions is:

I know I will have to get a new cassette but will my Shimano Ultegra 6600 SL RD be compatible with a 10 speed? I'm running it on 9 right now and it works. Would I need to switch anything else? As long as I get the 2x10 Shifter and Cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Match the shifter and cassette. Current derailleur will work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    yes you need to match the shifters to the cassette. The rear and front derailures will work ok, I say "ok" because you are now going to be running a more narrow chain through your derailures that were designed for a wider 9 speed chain. your shifting won't be as nice and crisp until you change your derailures to 10 speed ones. just a thought for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Bikewagonjohn, he has a 10 speed derailleur now, a 6600.

vlad2010, you can even keep the 9 speed cassette if you want. By using the alternate cable route configuration on your derailleur the pull ratio will be correct for the 9 speed cassette and setting the derailleur limit stops correctly will give you the 8 clicks required for 9 cogs. Obviously if you get 10 speed shifters AND a 10 speed cassette at the same time everything will function as it should with the standard cable routing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Sorry missed that part. My bad. I thought he said he had 9 speed derailures, and was considering the 6600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    How do I tell whether a Ultegra 6600 RD is for 9 or 10 speeds?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad2010 View Post
    How do I tell whether a Ultegra 6600 RD is for 9 or 10 speeds?
    6600 is a 10 speed model designation. 6500 is the older 9 speed Ultegra. Both of them will work flawlessly on 10 speed cassettes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks! Looks like I have the 6600 now running on a 9 speed! Looks like all I need are the shifters and cassette and I should be good to go!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Almost, you will require a 10 speed chain as well. I suggest the KMC line, like the X10, comes with a nice reusable quick link.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Please correct me but I believe you need a 10 speed crank, cassette, and chain. I was thinking about that upgrade for my Fuji but it will be too expensive.
    2009 Cannondale CAAD9-5
    2009 Fuji Aloha 2.0
    2011 Dawes SST AL Singlespeed/Fixed

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by ldotmurray View Post
    Please correct me but I believe you need a 10 speed crank, cassette, and chain. I was thinking about that upgrade for my Fuji but it will be too expensive.

You don't need the crank. It doesn't care how many speeds are on the cassette.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
    You don't need the crank. It doesn't care how many speeds are on the cassette.
    10 speed chain rings are thinner the 9 speed chain rings, to fit the thinner chain. to have the best shifting I would recommend the 10 speed rings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad2010 View Post
    Hi Guys,

This is my first bike that I got on the cheap and I've been slowly upgrading parts on it with Ultegra SLs. The last thing to upgrade are my shifters. The old owner mixed them up and one is Ultegra and one is Tiagra STI. I'm looking to get Ultegra SL shifters to match my group set. Most of the ones I'm seeing are 2x10 where I'm currently running 2x9 with that setup.

My Questions is:

I know I will have to get a new cassette but will my Shimano Ultegra 6600 SL RD be compatible with a 10 speed? I'm running it on 9 right now and it works. Would I need to switch anything else? As long as I get the 2x10 Shifter and Cassette.
    Hi, I am riding a 2001 Litespeed Classic with the original Ultegra ST 6500 9 speed groupset. Although it shifts fine, I wonder if I am missing something by not upgrading to a newer 6700 or 6800 group? I also have the 12-25T CS 6500 Cassette. With my advancing age of 68 years, I can also use another lower cog to 28T and maybe a 50 x 34 front sprockets. Finally, will the new Ultegra group 10 and 11 speed cassettes fit my frame and Ritchey 0-system real wheel? Thanks,

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSample View Post
    Hi, I am riding a 2001 Litespeed Classic with the original Ultegra ST 6500 9 speed groupset. Although it shifts fine, I wonder if I am missing something by not upgrading to a newer 6700 or 6800 group? I also have the 12-25T CS 6500 Cassette. With my advancing age of 68 years, I can also use another lower cog to 28T and maybe a 50 x 34 front sprockets. Finally, will the new Ultegra group 10 and 11 speed cassettes fit my frame and Ritchey 0-system real wheel? Thanks,
    With 9 speed you can get an 11/27 cassette. With 10 speed and your rear derailleur you can use an 11/28. You can for sure go to 10 w/ your current rear wheel, but not 11. Your frame is not an issue.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    With 9 speed you can get an 11/27 cassette. With 10 speed and your rear derailleur you can use an 11/28. You can for sure go to 10 w/ your current rear wheel, but not 11. Your frame is not an issue.
    Heck, you can even get an 11-28 with 9 speed but watch out for those gear jumps.

SRAM PG-950 9 Speed Cassette 2012 | SRAM | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks, Do you have any opinion on how well at 6700 group performs compared to my current 6500?
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Performance is good, as it always is w/ Shimano. The main difference is the shape of the lever body on the new parts. Most people find it much more comfortable.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    in my personal experience there is not enough difference between 9 and 10 speed to justify the expense. With my campy groups, I will upgrade when 9 speed specific parts become hard to get, or the shifters fail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    I now think that I will get a 12-28T for my 9 speed and just go ride. Thanks to everyone.

Happily absent RBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewagonjohn View Post
    yes you need to match the shifters to the cassette. The rear and front derailures will work ok, I say "ok" because you are now going to be running a more narrow chain through your derailures that were designed for a wider 9 speed chain. your shifting won't be as nice and crisp until you change your derailures to 10 speed ones. just a thought for you.
    This is false. Rear derailleurs are not built with a specific chain in mind.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

banned
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSample View Post
    I now think that I will get a 12-28T for my 9 speed and just go ride. Thanks to everyone.
    I've been riding shimano 105 5600 shifters on the front with a 9 speed cassette for 9 months now and have no problem. Davecruz's post above states how to set it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent319 View Post
    I've been riding shimano 105 5600 shifters on the front with a 9 speed cassette for 9 months now and have no problem. Davecruz's post above states how to set it up.
    Glad you figured out the alternate cable routing, it works great with 10 speed shifters and a 9 speed cassette!