USE Alien Seatpost Tilt / Angle Adjustment?
    mpj

Dec 2002

USE Alien Seatpost Tilt / Angle Adjustment?

Just recently purchased a USE Alien Carbon Seatpost, and although the post looks great, and is extremely light; I’m having great difficulty getting the saddle angle / tilt adjustment that I require. In fact; from what I have read regarding this particular adjustment from the USE site {basically: To adjust the saddle angle; Lift and push block A (saddle nose down) or block C (saddle nose up). Always keep the outer block separated. Once you have your desired position pinch the two outer blocks together. To readjust the angle, gently tap the bolt heads to separate the blocks. } it seems that I already have the saddle maxed out to its fullest tilt which {check the attached pics} does not seem much at all? Actually I only need the saddle to tilt just a small bit more for my optimum riding position, so feel just a tad frustrated that I can’t get any more tilt out of it? Am I doing something wrong? Any input would be much appreciated. THANKS!

Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mpj
    Just recently purchased a USE Alien Carbon Seatpost, and although the post looks great, and is extremely light; I’m having great difficulty getting the saddle angle / tilt adjustment that I require. In fact; from what I have read regarding this particular adjustment from the USE site {basically: To adjust the saddle angle; Lift and push block A (saddle nose down) or block C (saddle nose up). Always keep the outer block separated. Once you have your desired position pinch the two outer blocks together. To readjust the angle, gently tap the bolt heads to separate the blocks. } it seems that I already have the saddle maxed out to its fullest tilt which {check the attached pics} does not seem much at all? Actually I only need the saddle to tilt just a small bit more for my optimum riding position, so feel just a tad frustrated that I can’t get any more tilt out of it? Am I doing something wrong? Any input would be much appreciated. THANKS!
    I think USE has two different clamp sizes for different saddle rail sizes, 7mm for ordinary and 8mm(?) for thicker (carbon) seat rails.
    See http://www.use1.com/alien%20clamp/fi...structions.htm
    or
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1044
    and contact USE or your dealer to get correct clamp.

Get me to In&Out
    Looks to me like your saddle is maxxed out on forward tilt. It is pretty nose down already though as far as the picture shows.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

mpj

Dec 2002

RE: USE Alien Seatpost Tilt / Angle Adjustment?

It's not really that 'nose down' if you look at it closely. I think the shape of the saddle just gives that appearance? Also; I appreciate the comments by Mark M, but sort of doubt that my problem lies in clamp sizes, as the one that I'm using seems to fit the rails perfect? I'm probally going to have to switch the post back to my old one? Sort of discouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    Looks to me like your saddle is maxxed out on forward tilt. It is pretty nose down already though as far as the picture shows.

Get me to In&Out
    Saddle tilt isn't determined by whether the rails are level. It is determined by the nose of the saddle in relation to the rest of the saddle. The SLR is a flat saddle. Unless the picture has bad angles it does look nose down. Throw a construction level on there and it will show the same thing. If you need more nose down that that and you aren't using aero bars, maybe you need to look at the bike fit a little closer.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by mpj
    It's not really that 'nose down' if you look at it closely. I think the shape of the saddle just gives that appearance? Also; I appreciate the comments by Mark M, but sort of doubt that my problem lies in clamp sizes, as the one that I'm using seems to fit the rails perfect? I'm probally going to have to switch the post back to my old one? Sort of discouraging!
    In the picture it certainly is nose down when compared to the top tube. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

That's full nose down

I have a similar setup, except that I have the non-aero USE post. Your setup is full nose down. You cannot get the front block any lower or the back block any higher. If you try, my guess is that the you will get forward creep of the entire clamp during your first ride. Put a long capenter's spirit level on the saddle and you'll see just how far down the nose is tilted. Nice bike, but IMO, it looks tortuous on the shoulders/arms/hands because of the forward tilt.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    Put a level on that seat. Hate those use clamps.

Aug 2004
    dude, your seat is way NOT level. look at it compared to the horizontal member of the fence behind it.

regarding USE posts. light and interesting looking, but you may as well just shoot yourself now. worst... adjustability... ever. especially with the ridiculous old 3mm twin-bolt system.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bbagdan
    dude, your seat is way NOT level. look at it compared to the horizontal member of the fence behind it.

regarding USE posts. light and interesting looking, but you may as well just shoot yourself now. worst... adjustability... ever. especially with the ridiculous old 3mm twin-bolt system.
    Yeah, they would drive even good wrenches to tears, bad wrenches like me were powerless to defeat them. Once set up, mine was very solid and crazy light.

The new Cyclops version with the single bolt is supposedly much easier to deal with. As my new bike is coming with a Use Alien Carbon, I have been praying its the new Cyclops version, but knowing my luck it won't be.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Yeah, they would drive even good wrenches to tears, bad wrenches like me were powerless to defeat them.
    Methinks he gave up, hopefully got a Thompson.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

RoadBikeReview Member

I've got one too

I just went for my first ride this morning with my new Use Carbon Alien seatpost. About a mile in to the ride I heard a noise coming from the seat and stop to check. It had slid backwards about a quarter inch. It is hard to judge how tight to make that one centerline tightening bolt. The thing looks so small that I'm afraid to torque it too much and break it.

I like the post alot but think that the little bolt that tightens the whole thing is pretty sketchy. I'll have to look for a small torque wrench to make sure I don't mince that bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I replaced my USE clamps with the new cyclops clamp from ibexsports.com. It is not listed on their website but phoned in my order (603-431-3023). The cyclops was $25. Replacing the old clamp took less than 5 minutes. Big difference compared to the old style. Easier adjustment and new single beefy bolt not fragile looking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tourdreamer
    I replaced my USE clamps with the new cyclops clamp from ibexsports.com. It is not listed on their website but phoned in my order (603-431-3023). The cyclops was $25. Replacing the old clamp took less than 5 minutes. Big difference compared to the old style. Easier adjustment and new single beefy bolt not fragile looking.
    thanks, thats great to know....i've always worried about those tiny little bolts

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by blurry
    thanks, thats great to know....i've always worried about those tiny little bolts
    It's not the bolts that are the problem - at least with mine. If it ever moves, it rounds the the clamp area on the piece attached to the post => junk pile. TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

flinty-eyed moderator
    FYI- the Fisik Aliante requires the optional 8mm head. I just ordered one from USE directly. Easy to talk to- no issues getting the information needed or ordering the part.

I had good luck with the durability of my last USE Alien Carbon, but the two tiny bolts made adjustment unlikely. But it was actually the weight claimed, and it held up to a full season of racing and training.

I am interested to see how the new Cyclops clamp works.

Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.