Use existing or new derailleur?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Use existing or new derailleur?

When I bought an 11-34 cassette to use with my existing RD-5800 derailleur, all I was paying attention to was the chain capacity, and I'm good on that score. But I neglected the "max sprocket" spec, which for the RD-5800 is 32 teeth. From what I understand, the 34-tooth will work with some adjustment of the B-screw, but that could compromise the general shift quality. As an older, non-aggressive rider, I might not even notice although I tend to be fussy about things working right.

The alternative is to get a newer-model RD-7000-GS (only $50), which looks like a straight replacement and has a max spec of 11-34.

Any opinions on which way to go? I suppose I could always go with my current derailleur and, if I decide it's not working well enough, make the change at that time.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I suppose I could always go with my current derailleur and, if I decide it's not working well enough, make the change at that time.
    Yes that's what you should do.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Matnlely Dregaend
    B screw adjustments can make a big difference depending on the frame and hanger design, not just the cassette. If the top pulley touches the cog with the screw fully in it's not going to work. I wouldn't worry about 2 extra teeth though, it's very likely to work just fine.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody