Video Cameras for Bike
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Video Cameras for Bike

Does anyone here use video cameras for recording rides? I live out in the sticks and the only place to ride is along a state highway. Super hilly and looks like a fun route, but I want to be able to record what's ahead of me and behind me as I ride just in case there's even an accident. Ideally video would send to the cloud vs staying on the device.

Curious if anyone uses video cameras and what recommendations might be. Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Matnlely Dregaend
    You better have some data plan if you're thinking of sending live video good enough to read license plates to the cloud for whole rides. To my knowledge nothing like that exists.

I used to use two GoPro cameras on K-edge mounts for front and rear video. I had battery extenders that allowed me to record over 4 hours of video. Nothing happened for years so I stopped using them. The one time I did witness a car accident the camera had conveniently run out of battery.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Does anyone here use video cameras for recording rides? I live out in the sticks and the only place to ride is along a state highway. Super hilly and looks like a fun route, but I want to be able to record what's ahead of me and behind me as I ride just in case there's even an accident. Ideally video would send to the cloud vs staying on the device.
    What kind of bandwidth are you going to get 'out in the sticks'... if you get any service at all.

What cloud service are you gonna use that you can stream and save several hours of HD video?

What data plan will you use to give you enough data? My Gopro at 1080 takes about 300MB for one minute of video. That's 18GB per hour!
    Even 'Unlimited Plans' are truly unlimited. After you reach a data limit, they will throttle back your speeds. For instance, Verizon Unlimited give you 22GB of full speed, then they'll throttle you. That'd be a little over 1hr. After that your upload speeds would be useless.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I run forward & rearward camera's. Cyclic Fly 6 & 12. The batteries last about 3.5 hours, and it records to a micro sd card. Recording overwrites previous recordings, a 64g card will keep about 3 hours of video before overwriting. The 6 is kinda picky on the exact card you can use.
    I had to return the rear due to warrenty issue, but finally got it resolved and it seems to be working ok now.
    Good: Videos are HD quality, sound is good, stablity excellent.
    Not so Good: Multifunction cameras where everything is done through one button are very difficult to operate. When your out on the road, without the instructions, road noise, people talking, and no indicator lights, it's just a crap shoot what functions are on. Sometimes it records with the lights off which is really confusing.
    I prefer the 12, but it is heavy. If I was getting another set, I'd get 2 "12's", put a red lense on the one for the rear.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Appreciate all the inputs. Sounds like cloud upload is really not happening and Micro SD is as good as I can hope for, realistically. Duriel, I'll have a look at a similar setup to what you've mentioned. I don't need more than a few minutes' of storage, really, just enough to capture an incident if one happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    They record automatically and save in case of a high acceleration accident. Use can always use smaller cards. If you have an incident, I have an extra card I put in so I can look at what happened laters.
    Most confrontations are not accidents. Close calls can be delivered to the police and prosecuted if you have the support.
    After you get your setup, post back on your decision & review.
    I've actually found the close calls and phoned them, let them know I know who they are! ... and where they hang. Since they already gave up playing fair, I let them know they'll never see anything coming.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    The looping sounds like it'll address my main concern- having footage of an accident or harassment (less of a concern.) I plan to get a 6 for the rear of the bike (older ones are affordable) and a 12 for the front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Like duriel, I run the Cycliq Fly12ce front and Fly6ce on the rear. I get about 4 hours of recording most times. I do not use the light function on the front to eek out as much recording time as possible. I use a separate light for visibility. With a 64gb sd card, I'm getting about 5.5 hrs recording time before looping. File sizes are averaging 2gb per 10min. The Fly6 also has a 64gb card and file sizes are avg 1.5gb per 10min. So I should be getting more recording time than the front before looping.

I wouldn't want to ride without them. But I'm not under any impression that in the US with our small colored plates, that I'm going to capture a plate number unless I'm really close to the car - even at high quality settings. It's just not going to happen. It doesn't mean they are useless, just don't expect to be able to capture the plate of that car that buzzed you or cut you off unless you get really close. As a black box of sort it's great and can at least give some evidence in case of an accident. Recently where I live, another rider with Cycliq cameras, was successful in getting a driver prosecuted. He drove through the middle of a group of cyclists who were stopped at a stop sign waiting on traffic to turn. So they definitely are worth it IMO.

If you are going to mount the Fly12 to your bars, definitely get a alloy mount for it. It's a fairly heavy piece and can brake flimsy plastic mounts. I use a K-edge out front Garmin/go-pro combo mount that is great. It puts the camera center just below the bar level and my computer on top.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really wish there were more manufacturers in the game to give Cycliq some competition. The reviews are mixed on the quality and reliability of Cycliq, so I've been hesitant to get one (or 2). I wish Wahoo, Garmin, or GoPro would make bike-specific cameras (i.e. small and aero).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There are a couple others you could look at.. I have both but mostly use them for the moto. They don't have lights.
    Tachyon XC Micro
    Panasonic HX-A100
    I like both, the panasonic you can put on your helmet and it sees where you look.
    The Tachyon suffers similar problems as the Cyclic, since once it's on your helmet, you cannot tell when it is on, same as the one button cyclic.
    The panasonic has a arm band with the control, and a 'on' light, I like it a lot better, easy on/off/verification of status.
    But they are not made for bikes, but have mounts you could adapt.

The cyclic mounts work fine. All of these are HD or near HD quality, if you they are in the lane next to you, you can see the plate & identify the # usually, but **** happens.

Using a recording device works, trucks that I thought were Toyota's were correctly identified as Chevy's, etc, etc. You would be surprized at the # of a**hole drivers that are running co names on the side with phone numbers! Easy Peasy! When you call in and ask for the co owner, it can get right to the point.
    Last edited by duriel; 07-18-2020 at 04:01 AM.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    I really wish there were more manufacturers in the game to give Cycliq some competition. The reviews are mixed on the quality and reliability of Cycliq, so I've been hesitant to get one (or 2). I wish Wahoo, Garmin, or GoPro would make bike-specific cameras (i.e. small and aero).
    Yeah, I've had very mixed experience with Cycliq cameras. My original FLY12CE was a brick out of the box and when I finally got a working one, decided it was just too heavy (actually worried about damaging my bars from either the mount slipping from the weight or having to tighten the mount too much to avoid slipping). Really with someone would make a front camera-only device. There are plenty of light, bright, long-lasting front lights in the market. My wife and I both use the Fly6CE for the rear. Kind of fiddly to get working (very picking about SD cards and only 32GB or less) and a few out-of-box bricks but once you get them working, they're pretty solid. There's a HUGE multi-year thread on DCRainmaker's site about Cycliq you might want to check out.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    For those of you that use the Cycliq camera.

If you had it to do all over again, would you buy it again?

I really want to by both the front & rear camera just incase there's ever an accident. I'll probably never review the footage unless there's a need.
    After reading reviews & the expirence people have had with them, it sounds like it would be a huge waste of money.

Sounds like a couple action cameras would be the way to go due to relyability & image quality. The problem with that would be the cost of 2 cameras would be way more than the Fly 6 & 12.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You can read my post above.
    I have got mine to work, they are a PITA to turn on/off, but better than nothing.
    Good video, I have used the video in clips and stuff.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    I definitely would purchase again.

You can't find a camera that has the battery life the Cycliq do. Period. They are basically the longest running cameras. The new Hero 9 (and 8) have way better image quality but a fraction of the record time. I've read the 9 is around 1.5-2hrs which is not even half the Fly12CE. The Sony FDR-X3000R is 1-2hrs depending on resolution - not a good as the Go Pro but more aero. I ride longer then either lasts on most rides outdoors.

I don't control them with the Garmin (I've heard it's buggy). I don't see the point when turning on and off is just a long press of a button. You get an audible and LED confirmation. I've never had an issue with manual on/off with either the FLY12CE or FLYCE.

I only use the app to view battery status if I'm curious. I have an iPhone which doesn't really let you do anything with cameras anymore when you are on the bike. And I recharge after every ride anyway.

Since they are camera's 1st I don't rely on them as lights - in fact I have the light disabled on the Fly12CE although I do often run the light on the Fly6CE. I have a few different lights depending on time of day/length of ride. If it's a short ride - say an hour or so I may run the light. Otherwise on the front I run a Cateye Volt100 flashing for daytime running and have a couple of other 800lm or 1200lm for night riding that I use. The Volt is so light and bright even with the mount it's a non-issue and the trade off for run-time on the Fly12CE is well worth it. For the rear I have a Bontrager Flare That again is super light and very bright during the day.

I haven't had any significant issue with either of mine. For me the positives easily outweight the negatives. In my opinion there simply isn't a better option for cameras for my riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Tinball, you have a lot of good points and thanks for your time in explaining your thoughts.
    I also have my "favorite lights" I will continue to use. Of course I would think that with this set up I would feel safe using them as a blinkies during dusk or dawn rides.
    I'm ready to buy. But after looking at reviews and some of the customer support issues kind of scares me.

Old enough to remember ..
    I just bought a cheap one to see how much can be done for my different purposes. Uploading to the cloud? forget that!
    Get extra batteries and large enough cards, switch-out as and when required.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada