Walking in Look/XPEDO cleats
    RoadBikeReview Member

Got some Favero Assioma duo pedals so no more SPD SL for me since these use XPEDO cleats. I won't dive into discussions about which is better because frankly I like some things more about these, and some things I like less. The clip in/out action of the XPEDO is more crisp and purposeful, whereas the SL definitely have the edge for being more refined and easier to walk in.

And therein lies my one concern I have with the XPEDO cleats, they have no rubber gripper on the front portion, at least not where it contacts the pavement, so they become really slippery to walk in when you push off with the rear foot, etc. I never had issues getting around on foot in my SL cleats. Some say to use the Look Grip cleats, but these don't mesh well for everyone with the Favero pedals, or other power pedals in general, since they are slightly different.

Short of getting cleat covers for walking around, anyonne have any tips for how to make these things a little less dangerous? I literally almost fell on my face in my own kitchen yesterday. When I have to walk on foot its usually in a cafe with wood/tile floors, or a bridge that we aren't allowed to ride which has the foot path done up in that composite type of board.
    2016 TREK Emonda SL6 - Ultegra 8050/Aeolus 5/XXX
    2018 TREK FUEL EX 9.8 EAGLE Project One

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If you have to walk and are having problems I'd switch to SPD.

Mountain bike SPD.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    Get cleat cover. End of problem.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

Mountain bike SPD.
    I feel like you didn't even read my post. If you did youd see that A. I just bought power pedals that don't come in SPD and B. Walking is not a priority
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Get cleat cover. End of problem.
    Last resort, my buddy has them and says they don't really stay on. If I do go that route, any Look cover will work? Just extra stuff to carry in the pocket so trying to avoid it if I can.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Either get cleat covers and get used to the idea of replacing them when they get lost after coming off....or don't walk around in road cleats.

Those are your options with road pedal systems. Yes they stink---but road pedals are designed for racing, not walking.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    My SPD SL were nice to walk in, frankly I could jog around in them because of the grippy surfaces and slightly wider cleat itself stabilizing the foot. These are narrower and don't have the same grippers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Vector...trainerroad-20

Anyone used these with Assioma pedals?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleanneon98 View Post
    I feel like you didn't even read my post. If you did youd see that A. I just bought power pedals that don't come in SPD and B. Walking is not a priority

Last resort, my buddy has them and says they don't really stay on. If I do go that route, any Look cover will work? Just extra stuff to carry in the pocket so trying to avoid it if I can.
    Oh, I read your post. Walking is enough of a priority that you're posting here about it. Here's another suggestion: Take you shoes off when you need to walk. Seems simple to me.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not a fan of the anti skid pads on the Keo cleats, much preferring to just use cleat covers. The anti skid pads just seem to wear too fast to be worth the extra coupla bucks they cost. And once the pad wears out the pedal wears faster than the standard pedal without the anti skid pad wears. There is a recess in the cleat to hold the pad so there is less material is why they wear faster.
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]

Mountain bike SPD.
    Works for me.

But if you are really intent on being a roadie purist, there are always these:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ml#post5351871

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ml#post5365225
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Got some Favero Assioma duo pedals so no more SPD SL for me since these use XPEDO cleats. I won't dive into discussions about which is better because frankly I like some things more about these, and some things I like less. The clip in/out action of the XPEDO is more crisp and purposeful, whereas the SL definitely have the edge for being more refined and easier to walk in.

And therein lies my one concern I have with the XPEDO cleats, they have no rubber gripper on the front portion, at least not where it contacts the pavement, so they become really slippery to walk in when you push off with the rear foot, etc. I never had issues getting around on foot in my SL cleats. Some say to use the Look Grip cleats, but these don't mesh well for everyone with the Favero pedals, or other power pedals in general, since they are slightly different.

Short of getting cleat covers for walking around, anyonne have any tips for how to make these things a little less dangerous? I literally almost fell on my face in my own kitchen yesterday. When I have to walk on foot its usually in a cafe with wood/tile floors, or a bridge that we aren't allowed to ride which has the foot path done up in that composite type of board.

I feel like you didn't even read my post. Walking is not a priority
    Dude... your ENTIRE post (including the title) is about walking.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Russian Troll Farmer

Well, you won't be able to dance in them, but at least you'll be able walk into a coffee shop without falling on your @$$.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Oh, I read your post. Walking is enough of a priority that you're posting here about it. Here's another suggestion: Take you shoes off when you need to walk. Seems simple to me.
    and what about the socks? Will you need sock covers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    No shoes
    No shirt
    No service
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    ...Last resort, my buddy has them and says they don't really stay on. If I do go that route, any Look cover will work? Just extra stuff to carry in the pocket so trying to avoid it if I can.
    Mold silicone in the loose section(s) in the cover.