Warranty policy on Trek Madone 5.9SL ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tourist

Warranty policy on Trek Madone 5.9SL ??

What's the warranty policy on Trek's frames ? I have this Madone 5.9SL that is obviously dead. No need to say 'sorry for your frame', or 'this used to be a beautiful bike' or 'what the heck happened to this frame' - I would like to know if Trek has either of these:
    - a replacement policy under warranty - this is obviously still under warranty. I've read a post on RBR where the shop damaged a Madone frame by clamping it on the top tube, and the frame was replaced under warranty.
    - a repair program at low cost. Trek's frames are tubes bonded into a frame, some tubes are dead but the others are fine.
    - a replacement program at low cost if none of the above is available.

Thanks,

Pierre
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre
    What's the warranty policy on Trek's frames ? I have this Madone 5.9SL that is obviously dead. No need to say 'sorry for your frame', or 'this used to be a beautiful bike' or 'what the heck happened to this frame' - I would like to know if Trek has either of these:
    - a replacement policy under warranty - this is obviously still under warranty. I've read a post on RBR where the shop damaged a Madone frame by clamping it on the top tube, and the frame was replaced under warranty.
    - a repair program at low cost. Trek's frames are tubes bonded into a frame, some tubes are dead but the others are fine.
    - a replacement program at low cost if none of the above is available.

Thanks,

Pierre
    Trek offers a lifetime warranty on all their frames against manufacturer defects. Damage from driving the bike into a garage, running it over, crashing on it, etc. isn't covered under the warranty . When I worked for a Trek dealer a couple of years ago, they were doing a crash replacement program. You could send in your damaged (damage other than that covered by the warranty) frame and get a replacement at a discounted price. I don't know if they still offer this.

As far as repairing the frame, I don't know if Trek does this and I doubt it would be cost-effective because of the immense labor charges that would result from sand-blasting, re-bonding new tubes, repainting, etc. I think it would be best to call Trek (1-800-TRY-TREK) to get the most accurate information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Take the frame to a Trek dealer and see what they say. I actually work for a Trek dealer and I don't even know for sure if they are doing the crash replacement program anymore. They were a few years ago, the last time the issue was brought up at our shop, but haven't had anyone kill a OCLV frame since. Trek has a great warranty, but from the looks of that damage that certainly isn't warranty stuff....looks like the bike took a hard hit to cause all that. Find a good shop you trust though, be honest with them about what happened and see what they can do.

bg.

Dec 2005
    Maybe ask Trek or one of their dealers? Or simply RTFM.

Tourist
    ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek. Today they called to say that I'll get the same frame for $1300+shipping. Sounds pretty good to me... apparently it's not even a standard paint job...

Pierre

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek. Today they called to say that I'll get the same frame for $1300+shipping. Sounds pretty good to me... apparently it's not even a standard paint job...

Pierre
    well, if you were indeed "riding along and it just happened," shouldn't it be covered under warranty? if "riding along" is stretching the truth, though, $1300 sounds fair.

RoadBikeReview Member

technically...

...it depends on your particular dealer. My MTB...STP400 snapped on a good 2 ft. drop right at the bottom bracket. My dealer got me a replacement FREE. They said another dealer may not even bother griping. Try another shop.

bg.

Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weiwentg
    well, if you were indeed "riding along and it just happened," shouldn't it be covered under warranty? if "riding along" is stretching the truth, though, $1300 sounds fair.
    Agree, looking at the picture I'd be very suprised if they replaced it for free. No way that's a JRA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know how JRA would pass the straight-face test.

Quote Originally Posted by bg.
    Agree, looking at the picture I'd be very suprised if they replaced it for free. No way that's a JRA.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    JRA being painfully obvious BS, the straight-face test was probably never even applied. Pulling $1,300 plus shipping out of the OPs wallet was a profitable move on part of Trek, and perhaps the LBS as well. They're happy, the OP is happy. All is well.

Feb 2006
    so was it crashed? I'm guessing yes even though I would have thought it would have looked more scratched up than it does.

Don't know what those frames go for new but they are not losing money at$1300 for a replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member

hey...

Unrelated the situation with your broken frame.. That is (was) one heck of a paint job. Obviously project1.. what's the color option called?
    are you having fun?...

Tourist
    it's called Andromeda. I bought the bike already crashed from ebay (the seller said it, of course). I'm already making profit just by selling the components, so $1300 for that type of frame (fork is included) sounds like an excellent deal.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by mr meow meow
    Unrelated the situation with your broken frame.. That is (was) one heck of a paint job. Obviously project1.. what's the color option called?

RoadBikeReview Member

Pierre
    So you lied to the shop? That's low.

Jul 2004

That's what's funny

Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    So you lied to the shop? That's low.
    Apparently Trek (and the dealer) saw right through it and immediately classified it as a crash-replacement issue. When I worked for a Trek dealer, the crash-replacement program wasn't really conditional at all, other than the the fact that you have to send them your broken frame. I remember a roof-rack/garage accident; frame was sent for crash replacement, no real questions asked. Trek has probably had hundreds of dubious "JRA" warranty claim attempts like this one, and it seems they have a fast SOP for handling them. The minute they hear JRA over the phone....Bam....new frame, $1300, done.

Feb 2006
    don't want to get into the ethics of what went on but both in the bigger picture of things as well as from a business perspective it is probably in Treks best interest to do things the way they are currently doing them (ie frame replacement $1300 no ?'s asked). As mentioned earlier they ain't losing money...

Jun 2004
    it's called Andromeda. I bought the bike already crashed from ebay (the seller said it, of course). I'm already making profit just by selling the components, so $1300 for that type of frame (fork is included) sounds like an excellent deal.

Pierre
    Wow. What a scumbag. Buy a frame you know is kack. Lie to the company so you can get a sweet deal and then make a profit off said sweet deal.

I gotta say I'm definitely proud that you're a member of the bike community. Not.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Friction_Shifter
    don't want to get into the ethics of what went on but both in the bigger picture of things as well as from a business perspective it is probably in Treks best interest to do things the way they are currently doing them (ie frame replacement $1300 no ?'s asked). As mentioned earlier they ain't losing money...
    Nah don't get into the ethics. Wouldn't want to trip the guy up whilst he's making another sweetheart deal. It's prolly how he affords these lightweight Orbea on a whim projects: lies; rips off a company so he can put another wad of cash in his pocket; then smiles like he's a good ol' joe.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

RoadBikeReview Member

I have to agree...

I bought my STP400 from the same Trek dealer, rode it for a whopping three months, so it makes sense that they bent over backwards to replace the frame free of charge. I couldn't bring myself to go to a dealer I didn't purchase from after BUYING the brand BROKEN and expect that kind of service. Hell, I hate bringing in my hand laced wheels to be trued because I don't have the equipment...THAT MAKES ME FEEL GUILTY, AND I BUY THE PARTS FROM THEM!!!!!! This guy should be held down so I can shove a wheelsmith double-butted up his nose!

I will give him this...at least he was honest here. I hope Trek makes those frames for $60!!!!

Feb 2006
    points well taken,

If Trek could they would replace any and all of those frames, from anyone, liars, haters, cheaters, etc for whatever reason (that's what they're doing). The reason they don't care is bc they are making a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they made >$900 from this unscrupulous behavior. I seriously doubt those frames cost more than $400 to make (and that includes any and all research that went into their design, etc). Probably a lot less...

but yes you are correct, that doesn't make it right
    Last edited by Friction_Shifter; 03-03-2006 at 10:58 PM.

Jul 2004

Put this in perspective

Whether or not this policy is an "ethical" business practice is a matter of opinion and the actual manufacturing cost of the frame (or any frame for that matter) is largely irrelevant. Trek probably makes thousands of times the dollar amount in annual revenue selling bikes and frames to dealers; judging from the number of frames we sent in for crash replacement (very few) as compared to the bikes we sold, it's a drop in the bucket for Trek. A crash replacement is just like selling another frame to a dealer ($1300 is probably at or a little over dealer cost).

It's really the shop that loses out, or atleast gains nothing. They'll charge labor for boxing the damaged frame, handling, building up the new frame, etc. to just cover their costs and guess what? It's often them that gets the crap for "nickel and diming" the customer. "What? I just drove my frame on the top off my HumVee into my garage and had to pay $1300 for a new one, and now you want to charge me $60 to build up the new frame!?!"

Yeah, working in a shop can make you kind of jaded about the whole industry. None of this is anything new. But hey, it's just capitalism; customer and Trek get to split the pie, LBS nibbles up the crumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Friction_Shifter
    points well taken,

If Trek could they would replace any and all of those frames, from anyone, liars, haters, cheaters, etc for whatever reason (that's what they're doing). The reason they don't care is bc they are making a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if they made >$900 from this unscrupulous behavior. I seriously doubt those frames cost more than $400 to make (and that includes any and all research that went into their design, etc). Probably a lot less...

but yes you are correct, that doesn't make it right

RoadBikeReview Member
    Whether Trek make mega bucks on the deal or not is irrelevant.

We don't know what the shop was told, nor what they in turn told Trek.

I was under the impression that crash replacement schemes, like warranty, applied to the original owner only. Maybe it's different outside the UK. Certainly, here I have always been asked either for proof of purchase or at the very least to vouch for the customer.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is that this guy has the arrogance to slate the store that he duped

ok, so I took the mofo to 'my favorite Trek dealer' (don't buy any bike from them, they overprice everything...), said something along the lines of 'I was riding along and it just happened', they sent it back to Trek.
    Seems to me he holds them in contempt from his words, and his actions bear this out.

Dishonest any way you cut it. I truly hope that someone at that store or Trek sees this and scuppers your scam.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

The bike gods are not happy.

I have this Madone 5.9SL that is obviously dead. No need to say 'sorry for your frame', or 'this used to be a beautiful bike' or 'what the heck happened to this frame'
    The OP doesn't seem to think much of the members of this board either. By withholding the fact in his first post that he bought the (crushed, not crashed) frame on ebay, he invalidated honest responses to his deceitful questions.

Reading over this thread again, I get the impression that the OP is really more interested in showing us how smart he is and how dumb everyone else is. Happy trails, Pierre. Make sure you carry at least two spare tubes and a patch kit on all of your rides
    Last edited by wim; 03-04-2006 at 06:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

abusing the return policy

The fact that trek will do the replacment with no questions asked reflects their easy warranty/crash replacment policy. It's a good endorsement for trek. It gives me comfort (as the owner of a trek from a dealer) to know that I won't be hassled if I have a problem with my frame down the road. Trek probably sell more bikes in the long run becuase of this policy. There are lots of companies that have similar policies (REI, for example) -- it's good for business in the long run even if they get ripped off on some returns.

Of course, just becuase the company has an easy return policy, that doesn't make it right to abuse the policy. What seems to have happened here is certainly dishonest and maybe criminal.

Jul 2004

Crash replacement, warranty; two entirely different things

Quote Originally Posted by Drone 5200
    The fact that trek will do the replacment with no questions asked reflects their easy warranty/crash replacment policy. It's a good endorsement for trek. It gives me comfort (as the owner of a trek from a dealer) to know that I won't be hassled if I have a problem with my frame down the road. Trek probably sell more bikes in the long run becuase of this policy. There are lots of companies that have similar policies (REI, for example) -- it's good for business in the long run even if they get ripped off on some returns.

Of course, just becuase the company has an easy return policy, that doesn't make it right to abuse the policy. What seems to have happened here is certainly dishonest and maybe criminal.
    It's apparent some people in this thread don't fully understand the difference between the two. The lifetime warranty Trek offers is strictly for manufacturer defects or damage resulting from "normal" use. The definition of normal use is completely up to Trek, hence they need to see the frame returned with original proof of purchase so that they can evaluate the damage. The warranty is restricted to the original owner so that they have some history of it and can atleast be somewhat guaranteed that the bike was assembled and handled correctly at the shop of purchase. Sometimes the turn-around for a claim evaluation is a matter of weeks. They are sometimes strict about this, since they are giving away a frame for free. There's a happy medium between no-questions-asked replacements and strict warranty evaluations to prevent people from abusing the policy, but still representing themselves as a company that stands behind their products.

Crash-replacement is analagous to selling a frame to a dealer, in terms of the monetary cost. The one piece of proof they need so that some schmuck doesn't call them and say "hey my 5xxx frame cracked, send me a new one at cost" is the broken frame. That way they aren't essentially selling frames at dealer cost directly to consumers left and right. Once they get the damaged frame, they probably promptly throw it in the trash with little inspection. They leave it to the dealer to decide what they want from the customer, because all Trek needs is the broken frame. If the LBS wanted to, they could have denied the replacement because of lack of proof of purchase. Trek wouldn't have cared either way.

In either case the LBS is just there to do the footwork. They really gain nothing from the transaction, whether it be a warranty or crash-replacement. They have to do a small evaluation themselves to determine which it is, then it's boxing the frame, shipping/handling, and rebuilding the new frame. Trek doens't reimburse the shop for labor costs (or atleast they didn't when I worked at a dealer). So the shop charges what they would for any other customer, which sometimes doesn't go over well. Hence you get the occasional LBS conspiracy theorist that believes all LBSs are owned by little green trolls that steal money out of your pockets.

I don't really care that the OP did this, it has probably happened many times in the past. You can call it unethical, but it certainly isn't criminal or illegal in any way (unless that was just a figure of speech). It's well within the parameters of the policy; unless everyone over at Trek is brain-dead, they surely know of this one caveat. But again, it makes little difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast