What did I break in my hub?
    off the back

What did I break in my hub?

Finished a build of a new bike today, shifted fine in the stand but on a short shakedown ride, I managed to overshift the chain into the spokes, jamming up my rear hub. Got the chain free, and it pedals, but it won't freewheel, the chain just goes limp and hangs on the stay, tightening and slackening a bit as the hub rotates.

Got home, took the wheel off the bike, and I can make it freewheel by hand, but it's stiff and doesn't spin for long, and feels very rough.

What exactly did I break, just some pawl springs or something, or is the hub seriously fooked?
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Finished a build of a new bike today, shifted fine in the stand but on a short shakedown ride, I managed to overshift the chain into the spokes, jamming up my rear hub. Got the chain free, and it pedals, but it won't freewheel, the chain just goes limp and hangs on the stay, tightening and slackening a bit as the hub rotates.

Got home, took the wheel off the bike, and I can make it freewheel by hand, but it's stiff and doesn't spin for long, and feels very rough.

What exactly did I break, just some pawl springs or something, or is the hub seriously fooked?
    Who knows. You haven't provided any details at all about what type of hub and/or wheel you have. Since you can't hold your bike up to the internet so we can see what's up maybe some photos would help.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

off the back
    Well, whatever's broken is inside the hub, so i'm not going to tear it apart just to take pictures. If I'm going to tear it apart, it's to repair what's wrong, which is why I'm trying to get an idea of where to start.

For the record, it's a Hope Pro 2 EVO, built as a Hope wheelset on one of their Tech XC rims, used on my Soma Double Cross disc.
    "Damn. Y'all murdered the sh*t out that mutherf***er"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's a very simple 3 pawl freehub. Hard to imagine that the chain going over the big cog and into the spokes could damage anything in the drive mechanism. I'm not trying to be a dick but there is no way to diagnose this via a forum. You're gonna need to open it up to see what's going on, no one is going to be able to tell you exactly what's wrong from here.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    The hope hubs are pretty much indestructible, so its probably the plastic seal that separates the hub shell from the free hub body, or something stuck between the cassette and hub shell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Lightbulb

dude, remove the wheel from the bike, remove the cassette, pop the freehub out,... and examine. This is literally a less than 5 min job, cmon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    dude, remove the wheel from the bike, remove the cassette, pop the freehub out,... and examine. This is literally a less than 5 min job, cmon
    Not 5 minutes for the OP, but your point is spot on. This is the only way to figure it out unless a simple visual inspection shows something wedged in the gap between the hub flange and the freehub body.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oh, c'mon.....anybody who knows ANYTHING about hubs knows that he's broken the doohickey that connects to the thingamabob! I mean, how obvious can it be????
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    OP, what was damaged? Curious.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, c'mon.....anybody who knows ANYTHING about hubs knows that he's broken the doohickey that connects to the thingamabob! I mean, how obvious can it be????
    Clearly you're new at this, it was the thingamajigger that biffed the whoosiewhatsit
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    OP, what was damaged? Curious.
    Now you're way out of line! Expecting the OP to have the courtesy to close the loop on the question is more than can be asked. It's just not done! /sarcasm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He found an issue that is much more serious with his 'build', and decide to go to another forum?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Now you're way out of line! Expecting the OP to have the courtesy to close the loop on the question is more than can be asked. It's just not done! /sarcasm
    Yeah, it helps if folks report back their findings. It may help the next person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Maybe the dork disk gummed up the works?