Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

What to Do With Used Chains?

I'm starting to get quite a pile of used chains and have no idea what to do with them. What do you do with your used bicycle chains?

While I've seen a lot of creative people turn their chains into art, I'm afraid I don't really have the desire (or talent) to do that

Rub it............
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Uhhmmm...throw them away?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Uhhmmm...throw them away?
    I guess that's an option, but they're hardly biodegradable and I prefer to be a bit more environmentally conscious than that. My local municipality does recycle metal, so I suppose I could take them there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    The clock is an excellent idea. My LBS made little wreaths ornaments from them and handed them out around the holidays. They used some brake/shifter cable for the hanger and some side plates to make a bow.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I guess that's an option, but they're hardly biodegradable and I prefer to be a bit more environmentally conscious than that. My local municipality does recycle metal, so I suppose I could take them there.

Take them to metal recycling. Even if your city doesn't--there are private metal recyclers that will pay for metal. Granted you;re only looking at 1/4lb of steel.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'm assuming most of the crafty recycling solutions would require a bit of welding to keep the chain's shape, such as the clock idea? If there was a cheaper/easier alternative to welding, like perhaps soldering, I guess I could try my skills at crafting and selling my chain creations on eBay My crafts should go for top-dollar 'cause a lot of my chains are ultra-light KMC chains!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'm assuming most of the crafty recycling solutions would require a bit of welding to keep the chain's shape, such as the clock idea? If there was a cheaper/easier alternative to welding, like perhaps soldering, I guess I could try my skills at crafting and selling my chain creations on eBay My crafts should go for top-dollar 'cause a lot of my chains are ultra-light KMC chains!

Amigo. What are you talking about?

This is the PERFECT excuse to tell Wifey why you "need" a stick welder. PERFECT. You might even be able to justify a plasma cutter out of it too.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You need tig for welding chains. I used to have a company called Bicyclart, made all sorts of stuff out of chains, clocks, lamps, sculpture, you name it. Did art fairs, that sort of thing.
    I looked at every possible fusing method to not have to tig each and every link together...there were no other good ones.
    Cleaning thousands of links of chain in order to prepare it for welding was a huge chore...

Last edited by rideit; 1 Week Ago at 09:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Burn them!!!
    BANNED

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I have done that, leads to toxic fumes.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You need tig for welding chains. I used to have a company called Bicyclart, made all sorts of stuff out of chains, clocks, lamps, sculpture, you name it. Did art fairs, that sort of thing.
    I looked at every possible fusing method to not have to tig each and every link together...there were no other good ones.
    Cleaning thousands of links of chain in order to prepare it for welding was a huge chore...

Didn't have an ultrasonic bath?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Just over-tighten/lightly smash the plates with a chain tool or pliers. Cleaner and easier.

I used to have a fold-down work surface that was held up by old cables. I'm sure you could use chains instead.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Just over-tighten/lightly smash the plates with a chain tool or pliers. Cleaner and easier.

I used to have a fold-down work surface that was held up by old cables. I'm sure you could use chains instead.
    It just doesn't work. I even contacted a hydraulic press manufaturer to make something, you don't get consistent enough results to do more than one item like that before you get frustrated. l really wanted that method to work.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Didn't have an ultrasonic bath?
    There would still be traces of grease on them, which contaminates the welds. It was most important with house numbers that I used to make in order for them to keep their shape...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    JB Weld?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Didn't work well for my applications.

What the what???
    I made key fobs with a few extra links...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Speaking of chains, i'll hide my post here.
    Bought an 11 speed bike, cut the chain too short (Ultegra 11 speed) because the new R8000 stuff is a PIA to set chain length.
    First forum member to PM me with a funny knock knock joke gets the chain.
    I'll send it in a padded envelope, free. Seriously.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

(a few examples)
    Last edited by rideit; 1 Week Ago at 09:15 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Speaking of chains, i'll hide my post here.
    Bought an 11 speed bike, cut the chain too short (Ultegra 11 speed) because the new R8000 stuff is a PIA to set chain length.
    Measure twice, cut once Do you follow the method of putting the chain on the large chain-ring and large cog, then add two links? That method has worked for me.

I can feel your pain, though. I have a barely used KMC X11SL chain that is now too short because I put a larger cassette on the bike after a few hundred miles.

(a few examples)
    Nice work, rideit! I like the retro chain-lines even though I've been allergic to chain guards since I was a kid. When ever I got a new BMX bike, the first thing I did was remove the chain guard and reflectors

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Measure twice, cut once Do you follow the method of putting the chain on the large chain-ring and large cog, then add two links? That method has worked for me.

I can feel your pain, though. I have a barely used KMC X11SL chain that is now too short because I put a larger cassette on the bike after a few hundred miles.

Nice work, rideit! I like the retro chain-lines even though I've been allergic to chain guards since I was a kid. When ever I got a new BMX bike, the first thing I did was remove the chain guard and reflectors
    If you'd sized it small/small you would have been fine w/ the larger cassette...as long as everything was within spec.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe you can see some ideas from these folks at bicycletrash.com

My son gave me one of their 14t bottle openers as a gift, it works incredibly well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    more ideas - they make belts and bags from used innertubes

RoadBikeReview Member
    What to Do With Used Chains?-20151221_195326-rbr.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast