• 04-01-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I once knew and worked with a fellow that rubbed WD40 into his arthritic knees to ease the pain. He didn't need no stinkin' Doctor.

Felt hats used to be made using solutions with vaporized mercury, thus the term "mad as a hatter".

PBS learnt me that. Was this guy known as "Crazylegs"?
  • 04-01-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    I tried using WD-40 to lube a couple of loose balls. Try explaining that to a doc!

I once knew someone who was an ER nurse. She had some stories much worse than this.
  • 04-01-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Felt hats used to be made using solutions with vaporized mercury, thus the term "mad as a hatter".

PBS learnt me that. Was this guy known as "Crazylegs"?

He wasn't known as crazy legs but now that you mention it, he shoulda been. He wasn't happy, though, unless he was crabby.

I knew about the hats and mercury.
  • 04-01-2019
    MR_GRUMPY
    Bear grease works wonders. First you have to melt down the bear.
  • 04-01-2019
    frdfandc
    Unicorn tears works very well from what I am told

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 04-01-2019
    cxwrench
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Unicorn tears works very well from what I am told

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use liberal tears on my rifles.

Attachment 324897
  • 04-01-2019
    T K
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I use liberal tears on my rifles.

Attachment 324897

I'll have to try that. I used to use melted snowflakes but my wheels just made an awful whining sound.
  • 04-02-2019
    Lombard
    Anyone want to make predictions as to how long it takes for this thread to get moved to P.O.?
  • 04-02-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Anyone want to make predictions as to how long it takes for this thread to get moved to P.O.?

We should just start a folder named "Niebelheim", the town where all the trolls live...
  • 04-30-2019
    flatlander_48
    There have been a number of threads in the past, here and elsewhere, that discuss the use of WD-40. What people donít realize is the it is designed to be a PENETRANT. It has very little in the way of lubrication qualities. Any application where actual lubrication is needed wonít work because it dissipates very quickly. Iím speaking of the original WD-40 formulation...
  • 04-30-2019
    Srode
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Bearing service should be based on mileage more so than time.

depends, grease separates in to base and oil over time if it sits for a long time - shelf life for most greases is a couple years.
  • 05-01-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    depends, grease separates in to base and oil over time if it sits for a long time - shelf life for most greases is a couple years.

have an ancient tube of Phil's green grease...stuff seems to still be at its original consistency.
  • 05-01-2019
    JCavilia
    1 Attachment(s)
    For wheel bears? You can get grease made from the rendered fat of actual bears. Not sure how well it works with mechanical parts, but it's great for waterproofing leather boots.
    Attachment 325024
  • 05-01-2019
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    For wheel bears? You can get grease made from the rendered fat of actual bears. Not sure how well it works with mechanical parts, but it's great for waterproofing leather boots.
    Attachment 325024

FTW

/EndThread
  • 05-01-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    have an ancient tube of Phil's green grease...stuff seems to still be at its original consistency.

Ditto. Even though I've used it on everything from screw threads to BBs to wheel bearings to pedals to even the Hite-Rite assisted seatpost on my ancient Shogun MTB... I still have enough left to last me the rest of my natural life, if I live to be 100.
  • 05-01-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Ditto. Even though I've used it on everything from screw threads to BBs to wheel bearings to pedals to even the Hite-Rite assisted seatpost on my ancient Shogun MTB... I still have enough left to last me the rest of my natural life, if I live to be 100.

same here...

recall buying the tube of grease to use on my brand-new Centurion Facet...makes it easy to determine its age as that bike was only offered one year...1986.
  • 05-01-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

same here...

recall buying the tube of grease to use on my brand-new Centurion Facet...makes it easy to determine its age as that bike was only offered one year...1986.

Ditto ditto. My Shogun Prairie Breaker Pro MTB is a 1986 model, and I bought my lifetime tube of phil the same year.

I don't recall how much I paid for the tube of Phil, but it appears to have been the deal of the century.
  • 05-01-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Ditto. Even though I've used it on everything from screw threads to BBs..........

You use Phil grease on BB threads, not anti-sieze??
  • 05-01-2019
    GlobalGuy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Bear grease works wonders. First you have to melt down the bear.

Make sure the bear is dead before starting. If you have to first find and kill the bear avoid brown bears like Grizzly or Kodiak bears as your encounter is likely to end badly. Just stick with your basic black bear for your bear grease.

As for me I just have a major tune up once a year at my LBS.
  • 05-01-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    Make sure the bear is dead before starting. If you have to first find and kill the bear avoid brown bears like Grizzly or Kodiak bears as your encounter is likely to end badly. Just stick with your basic black bear for your bear grease.

fyi, koalas and pandas are easy pickings...
  • 05-01-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

fyi, koalas and pandas are easy pickings...

Don't know about koalas but pandas racoons, the grease is probably sub par.
  • 05-01-2019
    Deering
    Quote:

Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Don't know about koalas but pandas racoons, the grease is probably sub par.

Actually the Koalas are okay to use if you are in a pinch, but since they are not actually bears, they are also subpar.
  • 05-01-2019
    duriel
    We don't have any bears around here, and the mtn lions are just too fast for me. So I just use butter for all my lubrication needs, both on and off the bike.
  • 05-01-2019
    Akirasho
    Possum grease.

Render possum... eat vittles (sage dressing)... win win.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...0/Bez-jbid.jpg
  • 05-01-2019
    SPlKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You use Phil grease on BB threads, not anti-sieze??

Why yes. Is there a problem?