• 03-31-2019
    s10aromeo
    What to Lubricant the wheel bearings with?
    I lube my wheel bearing with wd40 every other week. What do you use to lubricant yours?
  • 03-31-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s10aromeo View Post
    I lube my wheel bearing with wd40 every other week. What do you use to lubricant yours?

    You're kidding, right?
  • 03-31-2019
    s10aromeo
    No Iím not
  • 03-31-2019
    cxwrench
    double tap
  • 03-31-2019
    cxwrench
    What kind of hubs? Spray WD40...blue can? You just spray WD on the hubs or take them apart and actually ruin the grease w/ it?
  • 03-31-2019
    nova_rider
    Are you using conventional, cartridge, or ceramic wheel bearings? WD40 might be fine for ceramic and cartridge and for cleaning, but conventional cup and cone bearings need grease if you want them to last.
  • 03-31-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s10aromeo View Post
    I lube my wheel bearing with wd40 every other week. What do you use to lubricant yours?

    Nothing every other never.
  • 03-31-2019
    frdfandc
    WD40 has zero place on a bike, unless you are degreasing an older Shimano shifter.

    I don't lube my wheels.

    With cup/cone bearings, I service the hubs once a year. Clean out old grease, clean and inspect bearings/races. Repack with Park Ploylube 1000 or other high temp/waterproof grease.

    With cartridge bearings, replace when they start grinding.

    Again, WD40, has ZERO place on a bike.


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • 03-31-2019
    Oxtox
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    WD40 has zero place on a bike...

    would normally agree with that, but recently found a weird blue glob that had attached itself to the inside of the fork. tried a few things (Goo Gone, etc) to remove it, but a spray of WD took it off.

    but, yeah...'lubing' wheel bearings with it is srsly off-the-mark.
  • 03-31-2019
    frdfandc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    would normally agree with that, but recently found a weird blue glob that had attached itself to the inside of the fork. tried a few things (Goo Gone, etc) to remove it, but a spray of WD took it off.


    OK, exception made. It is good for removing stubborn glue like substances.
  • 03-31-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    WD40 has zero place on a bike, unless you are degreasing an older Shimano shifter.

    I don't lube my wheels.

    With cup/cone bearings, I service the hubs once a year. Clean out old grease, clean and inspect bearings/races. Repack with Park Ploylube 1000 or other high temp/waterproof grease.

    With cartridge bearings, replace when they start grinding.

    Again, WD40, has ZERO place on a bike.


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    I use WD40 extensively after every drivetrain wash. Dry with a leaf blower, then WD40 everything to remove any residual moisture, let it sit overnight, then finish with light oil based lube. Great stuff.
  • 03-31-2019
    harryman
    I use WD40 to clean my disc rotors, great stuff. I'm faster than ever
  • 03-31-2019
    velodog
    Grease, once a year.
  • 03-31-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I use WD40 extensively after every drivetrain wash. Dry with a leaf blower, then WD40 everything to remove any residual moisture, let it sit overnight, then finish with light oil based lube. Great stuff.

    I run my chain thru rag damp with WD40 to clean it down before lubing.
  • 03-31-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    TROLL ALERT!!!!!!
    Notice it's a person with few posts, then claiming to use WD-40 in a ridiculous way? Look at his other posts; pointless prattle with intentionally horrendous grammar and stereotypical troglodyte spelling errors and implausibly ridiculous ideas. Yes, people, this is a classic troll. Don't feed the troll, and he will go away; it's really that simple!!!
  • 03-31-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Grease, once a year.

    Bearing service should be based on mileage more so than time.
  • 03-31-2019
    s10aromeo
    Thanks for the range of replies. I am going to try grease on my bearings.What brand grease do you recommend?
  • 03-31-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Bearing service should be based on mileage more so than time.

    You're right, but a year has been giving me 3-6000 miles and I'm comfortable with that kind of mileage between lubes.
  • 03-31-2019
    cxwrench
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by s10aromeo View Post
    Thanks for the range of replies. I am going to try grease on my bearings.What brand grease do you recommend?

    I'll ask again...what kind of hubs?
  • 03-31-2019
    walrus
    I just repacked my wheel bearings last night. Cup and cone. I used Phil's waterproof grease, the green stuff. It's the only thing made by Phils I can afford to put on my bike. It would be imposable to use wd-40, The grease holds the bearings in place while you put the axle back in.
  • 03-31-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I just repacked my wheel bearings last night. Cup and cone. I used Phil's waterproof grease, the green stuff. It's the only thing made by Phils I can afford to put on my bike. It would be imposable to use wd-40, The grease holds the bearings in place while you put the axle back in.

    That's cause you're doing it wrong. You need to spray the WD40 all over the outside of the hub and it will automatically find it's way past the seals refreshing the old oil on the bearings.

    Not only is this much easier than repacking the bearings, the wheels will spin much faster without all the drag from the stiff grease.
  • 04-01-2019
    Akirasho
    I tried using WD-40 to lube a couple of loose balls. Try explaining that to a doc!
  • 04-01-2019
    Lombard
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    TROLL ALERT!!!!!!
    Notice it's a person with few posts, then claiming to use WD-40 in a ridiculous way? Look at his other posts; pointless prattle with intentionally horrendous grammar and stereotypical troglodyte spelling errors and implausibly ridiculous ideas. Yes, people, this is a classic troll. Don't feed the troll, and he will go away; it's really that simple!!!

    But trolls are so much fun. And when you get tired of them, they taste like chicken.
  • 04-01-2019
    tlg
    Well.... he didn't say what WD40 he uses. :idea:

    https://www.wd40specialist.com/image...ses_family.png
  • 04-01-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    I tried using WD-40 to lube a couple of loose balls. Try explaining that to a doc!

    I once knew and worked with a fellow that rubbed WD40 into his arthritic knees to ease the pain. He didn't need no stinkin' Doctor.