What should you do with Tektro brakes?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

What should you do with Tektro brakes?

Throw them away. Or at least replace the pads with something better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    once you change the pads they work as good as say, Ultegra at least. I have DA brakes on one bike and Tektro on 2 others. Not a racer, but I can't tell the difference.

Long reach Tektros at aebike for $38 a pair. These come with shoes that make it easy to replace just the pads. I know they don't look quite as good, but all in all they look and work fine.

Jun 2004
    Try different pads. Pads make a bigger difference than different people acknowledge. Black or Salmon Kool Stops (Salmon brake better, shorter lifespan), Swissstops in black or green (green is comparable to Kool Stop salmons.).

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

Big is relative
    I use the long reach ones on my commuter. Once I replaced the pads with black koolstop ones, they were 100% better. The old pads always felt like I was braking in the rain.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Tektro pads have a unique feature

they keep the braking surfaces clean by sanding them down as you brake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eflayer2
    they keep the braking surfaces clean by sanding them down as you brake.
    Thats not unique, Shimano pads have done this for years.

I thought the idea was that your rims were supposed to last longer than your brakepads, but according to Shimano I must be wrong. On the bright side, at least you save money on brakepads, expensive item that they are

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Chuck 'em out

If you're serious about stopping you would throw them away. They are cheap, nasty dual pivot knock-offs and are mediocre at best. Changing the brake pads only marginally increases their stopping power. Do yourself a favour and buy a pair of new Ultegra, 105 or comparable Campy callipers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

you're joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gizzard
    If you're serious about stopping you would throw them away. They are cheap, nasty dual pivot knock-offs and are mediocre at best. Changing the brake pads only marginally increases their stopping power. Do yourself a favour and buy a pair of new Ultegra, 105 or comparable Campy callipers.
    they're fine, just change the pads. I use'em on my TT bike...I always come to a stop when I need to

BrooklynVelo
    Tektros get a bad knock because they're cheap. After my Ultegra/600 dual pivots blew apart before a race a few weeks ago I bought a set of Tektro single pivots for $25. Put on a set D/A pads and they work like a charm. What gets me is a lack of single pivots on the market. Basically you have a cheap set from Tektro and the crazy expensive Cane Creeks. Good braking for a great weight (mine are 300g a set, not 0G, but light enough for me).
    Damn the Man, Save the Empire
    Brooklyn Velo Force

Apr 2006
    Change the pads. I had little confidence in my tektros at first. Instead of going out ange getting a set of Ultegra brakes, I opted to see if koolstop pads would make a difference. I'm still using my tektros and have no issues with the post koolstop braking performance. I'm a clyde, so they can stop me, they should work for the average rider.

Could be faster
    Dec 2005
    i've had the same problem with the tektro brakes that came with my bike - bugger-all braking power. anyway, after reading this thread, i decided to replace the brake pads today. unfortunately, i could not find any Kool Stop pads here in Auckland, New Zealand. so i bought a set of BBB triple compound and boy, what a difference they made. and to think that i was on the verge of replacing the brake calipers when the problem was substandard brake pads.

Looking for my Amish Love
    Keep them on the bike as long as you want, or care too. They will stop the bike fine, especially after you change to Kool-Stop Pads. Eventually you will get upgradeitis and then you replace them, long long after you go to a better wheelset, cranks, etc etc. Brakes, were the last thing I upgraded. If you never uprgrade them, you'd never notice much difference in the end. If you get weight-weenish then they eventually come off.

If you change them out, just keep them as a spare. You'll won't make much $$ on them and it would better serve to have a spare brake set just in case. I sold off my old brakes to a bud, and when I sent my Zero G's in for upgrading, I was without brakes, and so bike, for a week.