what size tires for turnint cross bike into pseudo-road

Jun 2004

what size tires for turning cross bike into pseudo-road

I have Mavic CXP33 rims on my cross bike. This sounds like a newbie question because I am a newbie: How skinny of tires can I fit on these rims? I have 30mm tires on there now and I ride mostly on the road as of late. Will I notice any considerable rolling resistance reduction by switching to skinnier tires?

~Jay
    Last edited by ritjobbie; 09-01-2004 at 06:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ritjobbie
    I have Mavic CXP33 rims on my cross bike. This sounds like a newbie question because I am a newbie: How skinny of tires can I fit on these rims? I have 30mm tires on there now and I ride mostly on the road as of late. Will I notice any considerable rolling resistance reduction by switching to skinnier tires?

~Jay
    You are really asking 3 questions here:

1. What is the narrowest tire I can put on a CXP33 rim? About 18 mm is as narrow as you'll find, and they work fine on your rims.

2. Will switching to narrower tires reduce rolling reistance? Probably not. All thing being equal, which they're likely not, the wider the tire, the lower the rolling resistance. In the real world, the differences are too small to matter.

3. What tires should I run, and at what pressure? Given that all things are not equal, what we are left with is, choose the tire and pressure that gives you the right blend of comfort, cornering, flat protection, and speed for you and your riding style. For me, at 200+ lbs, 25 - 28 mm is the "right" width for spirited road riding, at least on clinchers. For sewups, I go down to the 21-23 mm range. In either case, I run about 90 - 95 psi, with about 5 more pounds in the rear tire.

Let us know what you decide on.

--Shannon

Jun 2004

I'm also about 200lbs.

I am looking to gain a little bit of speed, that's all. Like I said, I have been riding my cross bike mainly on the road lately and wanted to know if I was losing anything by riding on the fatter tires. From what you say, it sounds like even a switch to 23s won't be that noticeable.

FWIW, I keep my 30s at 80/85psi (front/back).

~Jay