Wheel / Cassette question

Jul 2004

Wheel / Cassette question

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap set of Shimano 540 wheels. I have the comparable wheels on my mountain bike and they've been great. My question is this: I have a Campy 8 speed cassette ... will the cassette fit on this wheel or do I need an adapter of some sort?

Thanks a lot.

hi, I'm Larry

Most likely the freehub is Shimano

You need to ask the seller, if he has been running a Shimano Cassette and drivetrain or Campy 8, or Campy 9/10. Some of the Shimano wheels are available with Campy 9/10, older ones with Campy 8.

Shimano, Campy 8 and Campy 9/10s are not interchangable. You can only put a Campy 8 on a campy 8 freehub.

Plus, If you are running Shimano shifters you do not what to use a campy cassette. The spacing is a little different. I may work, but not 100%.

What brand shifters / derailuers are you using? What speed? The cassette needs to be compatable with that and then the right free hub must be used.

If you need to buy a new freehub (close to $100) the wheel deal would not be that great. You can buy special cassettes that allow you to use Campy spacing on a shimano hub

Quote Originally Posted by JTinVA
    I'm thinking about picking up a cheap set of Shimano 540 wheels. I have the comparable wheels on my mountain bike and they've been great. My question is this: I have a Campy 8 speed cassette ... will the cassette fit on this wheel or do I need an adapter of some sort?

Thanks a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Huh???

I think you're confused. Shimano has never made any wheels that would accomodate a Campy cassette (8 or 9/10 speed), but Campy does make wheels that will fit a Shimano cassette.

There is no way to change a shimano cassette body to accomodate a campy 8 cassette. There is also no way to change the entire freehub, since the spoke pattern on Shimano 540 wheel is unique to Shimano.

You could buy loose Shimano cogs and special spacers to produce Campy 8 speed spacing on a Shimano cassette body.

You're right that the poster needs to specify what drivetrain he's using. We can only assume that the Campy 8 cassette matches the drivetrain.