When do you replace shifter cable housing? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    42
    U guy must be owning or working in a bike shop. 😉😉😉

  2. #27
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    U guy must be owning or working in a bike shop. 😉😉😉
    I don't sell service or parts if it's not needed. Like others have posted 'preventitive' maintenance is the idea. You don't wait til the motor in your blows up before you change the oil and filter, right? You don't wear your brake pads to the backing plates before you replace them, right?
    We KNOW that cables will fatigue and start to fray, then break...and we know that wear takes place in the housing and shifter performance will suffer. If they are replaced before the shifting suffers what's the problem? If you want to use your bike til things stop working that's fine, just don't advise that as being the correct way to do it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #28
    ngl
    ngl is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    668
    I don't understand why people won't spend about $10 for new housing and cable (or $49.95 for a tune-up) once a year for preventative maintenance, but yet they seem to have no problem shelling out hundreds for a new groupset or thousands for a new bike only to comment how much more superior the new is over the old.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    7,207
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    How is it over preventative maintenance? The cable goes through cycles of bending, ingestion of dirt and grime, and with the advent of cables having a coating, the coating wears off and clogs up the housing, causing shifting to deteriorate. I'm not advocating changing cables every year unless you are riding a ton of miles, but every couple of years does wonders.

    I've seen it personally with my own bikes and on customer bikes. On my mountain bike, I change the cables every year. My road bike is every 2 years. There is a difference in the shifting quality. With customer bikes, I've always received the "Wow, it shifts so much better" claims after cables are replaced.

    I guess repacking hubs with fresh grease every year or two (loose bearing style) is over preventative as well, considering the minimal amount of grease that is placed in the hubs from the factory. Or replacing handle bar tape with fresh after a year or two because it's worn down in spots and it gives you a chance to inspect the handle bar for corrosion from sweat. Or changing a chain when it reaches .75 on a chain measuring tool or 12 1/18 inch on a ruler to prolong cassette and chain ring life.
    The cable changing thing, no, there isn't any change in performance of the bike shifting or braking abilities by changing the cables every year or even two years, in fact there isn't any noticeable change even after 5 years averaging 2,500 miles a year. Been there done that, followed advice of LBS's and put new cables on every year, till I got wise, stopped the practice and just kept an eye on my cables, even after 5 years and I swap the cables for new ones there was no difference whatsoever. From the way you talk about replacing cables every year or two leads me to believe that your not lubing the cables and the hardware either not at all or very little, but to save me time with typing I found a couple of websites you can read about how to do that: https://www.bikeride.com/lube-brake-shift-cables/ And Sheldon Brown has some good info as well: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

  5. #30
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    The cable changing thing, no, there isn't any change in performance of the bike shifting or braking abilities by changing the cables every year or even two years, in fact there isn't any noticeable change even after 5 years averaging 2,500 miles a year. Been there done that, followed advice of LBS's and put new cables on every year, till I got wise, stopped the practice and just kept an eye on my cables, even after 5 years and I swap the cables for new ones there was no difference whatsoever. From the way you talk about replacing cables every year or two leads me to believe that your not lubing the cables and the hardware either not at all or very little, but to save me time with typing I found a couple of websites you can read about how to do that: https://www.bikeride.com/lube-brake-shift-cables/ And Sheldon Brown has some good info as well: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
    I don't know what kind of experience you have other than your own bikes but I can say without a doubt that for the vast majority of bikes I see having the cables/housing done every year makes a very noticeable difference...and I probably work on over 1000 bikes a year.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    602
    If you don't notice any difference between cables/housing after 12,500 miles and brand new cables/housing, then you shouldn't ever spend a dime on cables/housing.

    But most people notice the very real difference.

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    602
    This thread is so old that Froze has probably changed his cables and housing since it was originally posted.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    This thread is so old that Froze has probably changed his cables and housing since it was originally posted.
    And not as a preventative measure, either, but because the cable frayed in the shifter.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

  9. #34
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,715
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I don't know what kind of experience you have other than your own bikes but I can say without a doubt that for the vast majority of bikes I see having the cables/housing done every year makes a very noticeable difference...and I probably work on over 1000 bikes a year.

    I agree 100 percent as I mentioned before, even with my own personal bikes.
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GlobalGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    434
    For road bikes, it depends upon what you ride, how often you ride, the terrain, the weather, and road conditions.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    7,207
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    If you don't notice any difference between cables/housing after 12,500 miles and brand new cables/housing, then you shouldn't ever spend a dime on cables/housing.

    But most people notice the very real difference.
    This just gets better and better, yawn.

  12. #37
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    This just gets better and better, yawn.
    I'm still guessing that your experience is yours alone, and that you don't have experience w/ hundreds if not thousands of other bikes. You really can't have a legitimate opinion if you don't have that kind of depth...you need to qualify your experience.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  13. #38
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by globalguy View Post
    for any bike it depends upon what you ride, how often you ride, the terrain, the weather, and road conditions.
    ftfy...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  14. #39
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,715
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm still guessing that your experience is yours alone, and that you don't have experience w/ hundreds if not thousands of other bikes. You really can't have a legitimate opinion if you don't have that kind of depth...you need to qualify your experience.

    My guess his experience is "Me, Myself, and I".
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    7,207
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm still guessing that your experience is yours alone, and that you don't have experience w/ hundreds if not thousands of other bikes. You really can't have a legitimate opinion if you don't have that kind of depth...you need to qualify your experience.
    Oh, so now you get snarky. I can have any opinion I want regardless what you think, it's why it's called an opinion, shall I give you the definition? well of course I shall because it's obvious you don't know what the meaning is or you wouldn't said what you said, so here it is for the confused: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." Read that several times and let soak into your brain.

    Now having said that I do know that people get perfectly fine cables changed out every year because some dope at an LBS said to do that without ever checking to see if the cables truly need that. The funny thing is see, is that I KNOW of LBS's who DO CHECK the cables to see IF they need replacing or NOT!! and these more honest LBS's more times than not do not replace the cables, and may not for several years.

    I talked to a mechanic I know at my LBS about this due to this conversation, he said they take a customers bike in for an annual tuneup and recommend the a la carte tuneup, which means they check things over to see what, if anything needs to be replaced (or more intensive bearing lube job(s), if nothing needs to be replaced they just clean, lube and adjust, and he said it isn't uncommon for a bike to go 3, 4, or even 5 years after they sold a road bike before cables need to be replaced, mountain bikes used off road it was not common for them to last a year to 2 years, sometimes even 3 years. So for an LBS to make a blanket statement that all cables need to be replaced yearly is all about taking as much profit as possible from the dumb customer who doesn't know better, and most don't know better because they assume their LBS wouldn't steer them wrong (LOL!!); and my LBS doesn't want to be in that crowd, and they aren't the only ones I know who aren't in that crowd of bilking customers out of their money, in fact all the LBS's I did long term business with were like that...ALL you scream? yes all, because smart guy, when I went to an LBS that practiced the greed principles of doing business I never did business with them after that, thus they were not MY LBS for the long term. And almost any person can tell if cables need to be replaced, it's not rocket science that only those degreed in rocket science that work at LBS as mechanics for $8 an hour know how to do!

    For those of you reading this and wondering how I can tell if a cable is going bad, and how to check, see this video, I think you all will find that it isn't rocket science that takes a specially degreed $8 hour mechanic to tell you, in fact it will take about a minute to watch the video not 4 years of studying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkFlNTyEM

    Now I'm ready for your next snarky remark CW!

  16. #41
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,788
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Oh, so now you get snarky. I can have any opinion I want regardless what you think, it's why it's called an opinion, shall I give you the definition? well of course I shall because it's obvious you don't know what the meaning is or you wouldn't said what you said, so here it is for the confused: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." Read that several times and let soak into your brain.

    Now having said that I do know that people get perfectly fine cables changed out every year because some dope at an LBS said to do that without ever checking to see if the cables truly need that. The funny thing is see, is that I KNOW of LBS's who DO CHECK the cables to see IF they need replacing or NOT!! and these more honest LBS's more times than not do not replace the cables, and may not for several years.

    I talked to a mechanic I know at my LBS about this due to this conversation, he said they take a customers bike in for an annual tuneup and recommend the a la carte tuneup, which means they check things over to see what, if anything needs to be replaced (or more intensive bearing lube job(s), if nothing needs to be replaced they just clean, lube and adjust, and he said it isn't uncommon for a bike to go 3, 4, or even 5 years after they sold a road bike before cables need to be replaced, mountain bikes used off road it was not common for them to last a year to 2 years, sometimes even 3 years. So for an LBS to make a blanket statement that all cables need to be replaced yearly is all about taking as much profit as possible from the dumb customer who doesn't know better, and most don't know better because they assume their LBS wouldn't steer them wrong (LOL!!); and my LBS doesn't want to be in that crowd, and they aren't the only ones I know who aren't in that crowd of bilking customers out of their money, in fact all the LBS's I did long term business with were like that...ALL you scream? yes all, because smart guy, when I went to an LBS that practiced the greed principles of doing business I never did business with them after that, thus they were not MY LBS for the long term. And almost any person can tell if cables need to be replaced, it's not rocket science that only those degreed in rocket science that work at LBS as mechanics for $8 an hour know how to do!

    For those of you reading this and wondering how I can tell if a cable is going bad, and how to check, see this video, I think you all will find that it isn't rocket science that takes a specially degreed $8 hour mechanic to tell you, in fact it will take about a minute to watch the video not 4 years of studying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHqkFlNTyEM

    Now I'm ready for your next snarky remark CW!
    Like you old Tony doesn't have a clue. Anyone can make a YT video...that doesn't mean they know ****. Sorry. That video is also about brake cables...haven't we been talking mainly about shift cables/housing? The mechanic you talked to? Could be the same thing, just as you say there are plenty of mechanics out there that don't know what they're doing. I like to think that between 20+ years in the business, 15 years working for pro teams, and a bunch of training from different component manufacturers, I know a little bit more.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    7,207
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Like you old Tony doesn't have a clue. Anyone can make a YT video...that doesn't mean they know ****. Sorry. That video is also about brake cables...haven't we been talking mainly about shift cables/housing? The mechanic you talked to? Could be the same thing, just as you say there are plenty of mechanics out there that don't know what they're doing. I like to think that between 20+ years in the business, 15 years working for pro teams, and a bunch of training from different component manufacturers, I know a little bit more.
    Whatever you say

  18. #43
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,715
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Whatever you say
    This comment just shows that you don't have the depth in experience that CX or I have, with a combined 30+ years and thousands of bikes.
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: froze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    7,207
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    This comment just shows that you don't have the depth in experience that CX or I have, with a combined 30+ years and thousands of bikes.
    Whatever you say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. cable to the front shifter housing
    By siclmn in forum Fuji
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
  2. How to replace 7900 shifter cable
    By Chainstay in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM
  3. Looking for white housing brake and shifter cable
    By Gimpie7 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM
  4. Campy shifter-cable housing?
    By Speed_Metal in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:21 PM
  5. How often to replace brake cable housing?
    By PdxMark in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.