Who here runs a Shimano DA 7900/7950 crank with 7800 FD?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Who here runs a Shimano DA 7900/7950 crank with 7800 FD?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has swapped the Shimano DA crank to 7900/7950 from a 7800 level setup. How does it shift. We all know Shimano says incompatible but that sounds mostly like marketing. Can anyone tell me from real world experience that it shifts very well?

I've got a bike with 7800 all over it. Unfortunately DA didn't offer a 7800 compact crank. Now that it does, I'd like to upgrade and I would like to go to shorter crank arms so, I figure, two birds with one stone. I've found a great price for the 7950 crank and I expect that there would be no problems over Ultegra-level compact (the only piece that wasn't 7800) but I want to be sure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I had this setup on my TT bike for a little while. Shifting was fine but it was used very little so I don't have any long term experience with it. Not sure how it would be on a roadie if you have to constantly shift between the big and small ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for responding.

Actually the bike I'm considering putting it on is a TT bike, not a roadie. Could you tell any difference between the shifting there and between a 7800 crank? What prompted you to change to something different?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 1970
    Had a teammate that went to the 09 compact, while keeping the other 7800 components. He seems to be very pleased with the new setup...Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoleary
    Thanks for responding.

Actually the bike I'm considering putting it on is a TT bike, not a roadie. Could you tell any difference between the shifting there and between a 7800 crank? What prompted you to change to something different?
    Shifting was the same. No difference that I could feel. I changed b/c I got a deal I could not pass up on the 7900 crank.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Excellent. I think I'm gonna take a chance and get it. I found it for under $500

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoleary
    Excellent. I think I'm gonna take a chance and get it. I found it for under $500
    There is a new one right now on Slowtwitch Classified for $399 if you want 53/39 172.5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks but I'm looking for a compact crank and 165s. Sure wish I wanted that one!
    Last edited by jmoleary; 12-14-2009 at 07:50 AM.