Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Most motorists don't service their own brakes, and the mechanic who installs them (if a decent mechanic) will do the bedding on a test drive after the installation.
    Fair enough. But I suspect it'll take a descent mechanic much less time to replace the pads than to properly bed them in. A test drive has more to do with making sure things work. Time is money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm still thinking that they're not adjusted properly. It's very easy to screw up cable operated discs. There are hundreds and hundreds of mechanics out there that have no idea how to do it properly, I know because I have to fix them all the time. If the arm that the cable pulls is rotated forward by simply pushing it and then attaching the cable OR using the barrel adjuster to 'tighten the brakes' they won't work. It's entirely possible to move that arm enough that the brakes won't create any power at all...zero. You have to attach the cable w/ the arm as it sits w/ no tension at all and then adjust the pads w/ their adjusting screws. Those brakes should feel just as powerful as any hydraulic system when adjusted properly.
    j

if that's the case, then a normal weekend warrior dad has no chance at understanding these brakes. I've always hated that damn BB7 cable disc on my dirt jumper, have to muck with that sh8t brake like every time I touch that bike, and BB7 is considered the better of the cable disc.

but you right, cable disc when adjusted correctly will have about the same power as hydro disc. But in spite of their finicky nature, cable disc is easier to fix/adjust than hydro IMO. Goddamn I can still recall a few times that I've totally effed up brand new expensive resin pads because I got brake mineral oil on them, I mean just an oily rag touches them and it's effin' over! And the various oily spots on my patio, yeah it takes a rainy season to make them disappear.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    j

if that's the case, then a normal weekend warrior dad has no chance at understanding these brakes. I've always hated that damn BB7 cable disc on my dirt jumper, have to muck with that sh8t brake like every time I touch that bike, and BB7 is considered the better of the cable disc.

but you right, cable disc when adjusted correctly will have about the same power as hydro disc. But in spite of their finicky nature, cable disc is easier to fix/adjust than hydro IMO. Goddamn I can still recall a few times that I've totally effed up brand new expensive resin pads because I got brake mineral oil on them, I mean just an oily rag touches them and it's effin' over! And the various oily spots on my patio, yeah it takes a rainy season to make them disappear.
    Never ever do anything that involves whatever your brake fluid is with pads in the caliper.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I doubt any normal auto mechanic does any pad bedding. I also think car and to a certain degree moto brakes have been idiot proofed much more than bicycle brakes. With 'performance' car guys there is lots of talk about bedding pads but that's a microscopically small percentage of car owners.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Oh well, that's what I got for "believing" what the sales guy(s) told me.
    Too bad the information how to "bed-in" the brakes isn't in the manual I got with the bike.
    The brakes should have been fully prepped and operating at optimal at the point of sale (or before, if the bike was a floor bike). The LBS is sounding less professional with every post of new info.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Rub it............
    I doubt any normal auto mechanic does any pad bedding. I also think car and to a certain degree moto brakes have been idiot proofed much more than bicycle brakes. With 'performance' car guys there is lots of talk about bedding pads but that's a microscopically small percentage of car owners.

As a former auto tech, a test drive was always in order after a brake job. But no, a brake bedding procedure was never done because it's not really needed for a normal brake pad change because it pretty much has been idiot proofed.

I did a bedding in procedure once on my current car one time (HHR SS - 300hp turbo 4 cyl) and I couldn't tell a difference from the other times I did brakes on it without it.

Now for performance brake system usage - road racing for example - a bedding procedure is done to get maximum braking power and efficiency. I did it on my Mustang when I drag raced it. There was a difference.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, back in the 1980's when I worked at a shop that worked on Porsche, Audi and Mercedes-Benz, we DID bed-in high-performance metallic pads on the more exotic models (911's, Lambos, Ferraris, etc.). Went down the road, did several accelerate/hard brake cycles, then merged onto the highway for a 5 minute cruise.

As for more 'pedestrian' models with organic or semi-met pads, no, we didn't do anything as elaborate.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I did it on my Mustang when I drag raced it. There was a difference.
    I bet the pit boss told you to stay off the brakes, but did you listen?
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    As for adjusting the pads on my own mechanical discs, I use a .020" shim to set the gap on all my pads. I also only use semi-metallic pads, and the brakes work well. I'm using TRP Spyres as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    ....Goddamn I can still recall a few times that I've totally effed up brand new expensive resin pads because I got brake mineral oil on them,......

Wow. Generally I learn after my first bonehead mistake. I assume you have no aspiration to be a bike mechanic? Taking it to a professional will probably cost you less if you're really this inept.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    As for adjusting the pads on my own mechanical discs, I use a .020" shim to set the gap on all my pads. I also only use semi-metallic pads, and the brakes work well. I'm using TRP Spyres as well.

Wow. Generally I learn after my first bonehead mistake. I assume you have no aspiration to be a bike mechanic? Taking it to a professional will probably cost you less if you're really this inept.
    I can work on my bike, but I rather ride than tool, and I just wanted to get it over and was just being lazy and careless. First time I got the oil on the pads I chucked that up to "bad luck". Took some precaution the 2nd time around putting a rag around the caliper to prevent the oil from accidentally seep into the pads, but apparently the oil somehow got to the pads anyway. Mistake learned. Take pads completely out next time, fine. But then I put the pads on a rag that had some oil on it, boom, pads are now contaminated with oil; tried to soak them in acetone and sanding them to get rid of the oil, no bueno! Cursed at myself some more. And yes, it was a little of an acrobatic act stretching myself pumping and sucking the syringes during the bleeding to get all the air bubbles out, got oil outflowing out of the reservoir and all over my handlebar. You can say I was a bit clumsy and impatient. And yes, I did initially bring my bike to the LBS for them to have them changed my pads and bleed my system, paid them good money for it too, but the guys there were never able to truly fix my break honking, and after bringing it back to them 3-4 times to have try to fix, I got tired and said screw this I would need to learning this myself. I'm much better brake mechanic today though! even learned how to overhaul the calipers by changing out all the seals and o-rings myself! Pretty satisfying accomplishment. This was the Magura SL brakes circa around 2007, which were considered some of the best at the time. On a related note, it's precisely my experience with hydro disc on mtb that I would never want them on my roadie if I don't ride in wet/mud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12