Will 10 speed front mech/chainset work with 9 speed chain?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Will 10 speed front mech/chainset work with 9 speed chain?

Sorry for another 9/10 speed question.

I have Dura Ace 10 speed cranks with 9 speed drivetrain, but don't currently have a front mech. I want to get a 10 speed one so it's there for when I can afford to swap the chain, rear mech and shifters, but as the 7800 front mech is narrower for 10 speed will it cause any problems with a 9 speed chain?

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcarl
    Sorry for another 9/10 speed question.

I have Dura Ace 10 speed cranks with 9 speed drivetrain, but don't currently have a front mech. I want to get a 10 speed one so it's there for when I can afford to swap the chain, rear mech and shifters, but as the 7800 front mech is narrower for 10 speed will it cause any problems with a 9 speed chain?

I have the ultegra front derailluer 10spd with my 9 spd triple set up.. I feel the only problem is the 42 middle ring. It needs to be 39 tooth. Maybe the narrower chain would cause less rub on the deraiulluer too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I will work fine a 10 sp front der with the 9sp drivetrain, the cage is slightly narrower so setup will be more important, a little less room for error, but in the end the front end should shift just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, my main concern was the chain rubbing. I'll give it a try, and if not it's just the excuse I need to replace all with 10 speed parts!