Will a Dura-Ace 10-speed chain work with a Campy-10 cassette?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Will a Dura-Ace 10-speed chain work with a Campy-10 cassette?

Campy chains SUCK! And are wicked expensive. Will the new Shimano 10-speed chain work?

Jan 2004

shimano 10 spd chains

Quote Originally Posted by yzfrr11
    Campy chains SUCK! And are wicked expensive. Will the new Shimano 10-speed chain work?
    are about 8-9 bucks cheaper. Never had problem with the chain. The old perma link system was another story. I just join them with a Wipperman Connex link and Zero problems.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Wink Doubt it....

Use Wipperman. More expensive, but last longer. Also, I use campy 10 spd chains with connex link and it works great.

Jul 2002

no, they are narrower than Campy 10 speed

go with the campy or wipperman with a connex link. Works great.

mgp

Feb 2004

Use 9 speed chains!

I run SRAM 9 speed chains on all of my Campy 10 speed drivetrains. Lennard Zinn is a proponent of this, and I figured that if the guru recommends it, I've gotta try it. It works, no problems, as long as your derailleur hanger is in alignment.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Go Wipperman- they are nice and last. I would stay away from thos Shimano chains for a while (I still have nightmares from the first batch of Shimano 9 speed chains).

RoadBikeReview Member

No

From the Shimano website FAQ page on '04 DA:

8. Can you run the new Dura-Ace chain (CN-7800) with current 9-speed drivetrains?
    The new Dura-Ace chain is compatible only with the new 10-speed Dura-Ace components.

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/...ome/faq_s.html

Best,
    Frank

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member

Smile KMC Chains are the Best

Get the KMC 9200 chain. It's a 9 speed chain that comes with a snap link. I use it with my Campy 10 speed drivetrain. Smooth as silk. Best value for money.

Jan 2004

HaHaHa

Quote Originally Posted by FrankDL
    From the Shimano website FAQ page on '04 DA:

8. Can you run the new Dura-Ace chain (CN-7800) with current 9-speed drivetrains?
    The new Dura-Ace chain is compatible only with the new 10-speed Dura-Ace components.

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/...ome/faq_s.html

Best,
    Frank
    That is just typical of the BS from both Shimano and Campy.

Nov 2002

A couple of things to point out...

First, yes, the Shimano chain will work just fine. I know this first hand as I have one on a Campy 10 bike. Both the Campy and Shimano 10 speed chains are listed at 6.1mm wide. Connex chains also work very well, as does the SRAM PC89R (even though it's listed as a 9 speed chain, it's 6.2mm wide, same as the Connex) and someone else mentioned KMC chains. KMC has a X10 chain that will work as well.

As for costs, based of the current wholesale prices thru Quality Bicycle Parts, the cheapest of those above is the KMC by a mere 75 cents cheaper than the Shimano. I would pick the Shimano for the extra buck. It's nicer looking. It's a nice shiny silver chain, the KMC is a dull gray chain (which I think is rather ugly personally.) The Shimano is more than $12 cheaper than the Campy (again, at QBP wholesale) so if you see it listed around the same as the Campy chain, it's just overly marked up because it's so new. Oh, and that's $12 less than the 03 Campy 10 chain..... it's about $20 less than the 04 Campy 10 chain, but the Campy chain is 45 grams lighter. In fact the Campy chain is the lightest non-titanium chain on the market. It's lighter than the Connex hollow pin and the SRAM hollow pin as well.

But back to the Shimano chain.... it's cheaper than the Connex nickle and much cheaper than the Connex stainless chains. The Connex stainless is more expensive than the Campy chain, but it does come with the Connex link. And to be 100% fair, if you buy the Shimano and also buy the Connex link to connect it, it is now 50 cents more than just getting the Connex nickle chain, and the Connex nickle is slightly lighter than the Shimano.... so the real world best value is to get the Connex nickle plated chain because it includes the Connex link.

Whew.... that was a mouthful! But if nothing else, you can now say you are fully informed.... and that's what this board is all about.

Hope that helps...

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

about the SRAM...

Although the SRAM 9-speed chain is 6.2mm wide across the side plates, it's a protruding pin design and the pins are 6.8mm accross.

Both shimano and campy cogs are now designed to work best with flush-pin chains.

I've read, but never been abe to verify that the shimano 10 chain is only 5.9mm wide.

FTF
    banned
    am
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Although the SRAM 9-speed chain is 6.2mm wide across the side plates, it's a protruding pin design and the pins are 6.8mm accross.

The hollow pin version dose not have protruding pins, they are flush with the plates.

As you can see here

http://www.projectadrenalin.com/pa/S...asp?ProdId=148

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I'll take your word for it...

Quote Originally Posted by FTF
    am

The hollow pin version dose not have protruding pins, they are flush with the plates.

As you can see here

http://www.projectadrenalin.com/pa/S...asp?ProdId=148

As a mechanical engineer, I'd need a side view to agree with you. Can't tell a thing from a top view. A micrometer measurement would be even better.

FTF
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    As a mechanical engineer, I'd need a side view to agree with you. Can't tell a thing from a top view. A micrometer measurement would be even better.
    yeah I know. Oh well I've seen the thing in person, they are flush as my campy 10 chain.