Workspace Wednesday - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Any interest in which tools I use? What's in the drawers at the shop and what's in the new box?
    Definitely!

I'd be interested in the details entire setup you are building.

I have the curse (and pleasure) of splitting time between two homes and spending time in a travel van. I've tried maintaining full sets of tools in all three places, but I think I would just be better off with everything packed up in a nice portable, but usable setup like what you are building...

Share the love!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any interest in which tools I use? What's in the drawers at the shop and what's in the new box?
    ______

[REDACTED]
    Do tell.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    Not really. Tools is tools. I'm sure that you have your own personal system which makes no sense to anybody else, and that your orderliness drives your co-workers up the wall nearly every day. I know, because my dad was the same.

My workspace is a bit messy (I use it for bikes, plumbing, circuitry, lawnmower repair, etc.), but I know where everything is, even if it's been sitting on the table for the last month....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Not really. Tools is tools. I'm sure that you have your own personal system which makes no sense to anybody else, and that your orderliness drives your co-workers up the wall nearly every day. I know, because my dad was the same.

My workspace is a bit messy (I use it for bikes, plumbing, circuitry, lawnmower repair, etc.), but I know where everything is, even if it's been sitting on the table for the last month....
    Me too, it's around here somewhere.
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

We're all like this. The work benches that are out front are always pretty clean. We charge good money for the work we do so we like to have a clean, professional area since our customers can see everything.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I spent most of yesterday cleaning my workshop. I can now see (most) of my work table.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I spent most of yesterday cleaning my workshop. I can now see (most) of my work table.
    … but can you still find things? Even with a "mess", you can still remember that the cassette lock ring was under that scrap of brake housing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I clean up my workbench and put everything away.... when I can't find a place to put my phone down without it disappearing!
    BANNED

Ok...here's what I have in the small box for now. Box is a Nanuk 915. Inside the lid is a 2mm sheet of carbon from Amazon. It's mounted to the box w/ M3 screws/washers/nyloc nuts. The Feedback Sports T-handles and the Rohloff chain checker are held by 6x3mm rare earth magnets, again from Amazon. They seem to only be available in boxes of 100, but they're cheap. I've also got the long bits (4, 5mm & T25) that came w/ the EM torque wrench mounted here as well.

There are 4 layers of Kaizen foam from Fastcap. Top layer (usually) has a big set of allens from Wera. 1.5mm to 10mm. A Zipp disc wheel inflator, a black Park spoke wrench and a small Husky awl are on the right side. I have 5 Wera screwdrivers, all Kraftform Plus. A #0 60mm Phillips, a #1 80mm Lasertip Phillips, a #2 100mm Pozigrip Phillips (which is almost too big for anything needed on a bike, but what the hell), a 3.0 x 70mm slotted, and a 4.5 x 80mm slotted.

2nd layer has a SRAM 13mm road caliper brake adjusting wrench, a Campy peanut butter wrench, a SRAM cable cutter w/ awl, a Knipex/Bontrager side cutter, a **** quick link tool, an Effetto Mariposa torque wrench/bits, a Unior awl, curved tip, a couple of Pedro's tire levers and a little SRAM multi-tool that comes w/ the new AXS mtb bike groups.

Third layer has a small scissor, Knipex needle nose pliers (5"), Pedro's Tutto chain tool, a dummy pedal, small Snap-On 1/4" drive TM70C, Craftsman 45171 flush side cutters, a Coast/Bontrager G19 flashlight (super cool little light, perfect brightness), Speedplay torque driver, a **** Shimano crank bolt tool BBT-10, a **** VC-1 valve core tool, Paragon Machine bottle opener, and SRAM T8 & T10 L wrenches.

Bottom layer has an Abbey Bike Tools HAG, Abbey Crombey & Whip It, a Vessel/Shimano JIS #2 screwdriver and a T-10 w/ handle cut from a Time frame seatmast.

I need to find a nice small tape measure and put some pens/sharpies in there somewhere.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 05-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    That is awesome! I really like it. Thanks for showing it to us.

I like Park's little measuring tape, and keep one in my toolbox, but I also keep a cloth measuring tape with metric and sae on either side folded up. They are handy for certain things. They are easy to find in most fabric/craft shops.

I assume you have a larger, non-mobile stash somewhere for things like bearing presses and BB tools?

Edit to ask: How did you mount the magnets to the carbon fiber? I have some I attached to some strategic locations on my Feedback Sprint workstand, but they keep falling off. The last attempt was using super strong and thin 3M double sided tape (the kind used to attach moulding/trim strips to cars). It's holding for now, but I don't expect it to hold up for long.
    Last edited by Finx; 05-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let me just start by saying, you guys suck! Here's what I'm dealing with... (guess I need to clean up my act a bit)
    workarea1.jpg

workplace2.jpg
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Let me just start by saying, you guys suck! Here's what I'm dealing with... (guess I need to clean up my act a bit)
    workarea1.jpg

workplace2.jpg
    It’s like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree... all it needs is a little love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    It’s like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree... all it needs is a little love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And a bunch of stuff pitched in the trash or given to Goodwill probably
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    And a bunch of stuff pitched in the trash or given to Goodwill probably
    Problem being...It is an inevitable law of the universe, what you think is junk/scrap now you're going to be looking for/wanting in 1-6 months.

I cleaned out my hoard, getting rid of unused spares like spare fender stays....guess what. Now I need one or two and don't have them.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Problem being...It is an inevitable law of the universe, what you think is junk/scrap now you're going to be looking for/wanting in 1-6 months.
    Exactly my fear and why I have so much stuff piled up - I can probably whittle the pile down a bit though.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

[REDACTED]
    workarea1.jpg

workplace2.jpg
    Now this looks more like my shop! I also have a large 2 layer tool box with tool jumbled into it. I guess if I did this for a living, I'd have to clean up my act or I'd be out of business.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    ______

Russian Troll Farmer
    My shop still has a lot of old bike parts from the 70's I got cheap in the 80's. You want custom cogs and spacers for 6-sp freewheels? I've got dozens of them! Uniglide cogs and freehubs? Yup, got those too. Huret rear derailleur? You betcha! Box-section tubular rims? Why, yes!

Aside from getting a pretty penny for a nice Cyclotourist crankset on EBay last year, and a nice classic Dura Ace rear derailleur, I fear most of my horde of parts isn't worth much more than scrap value...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

And the space at work...I have 4 drawers w/ Unior tools that came from Trek. Top drawer has T-handles and some other stuff...clippers, pliers.

Second drawer is torque wrenches, L-hex keys, and combo wrenches.

Next one is cone wrenches, screwdrivers and headset (threaded) wrenches.

Bottom one is headset/bb press, and some freewheel/lockring tools.

Middle drawers I just did w/ the Kaizen foam, pretty self explanatory...

[REDACTED]
    And the space at work...I have 4 drawers w/ Unior tools that came from Trek. Top drawer has T-handles and some other stuff...clippers, pliers.

How do you keep all your tools so clean? You suck.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well gee.... if I had 50 toolbox drawers, my workbench would look clean too.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member

I know which drawers have all my cycling stuff, I just need to get some foam to cut out and do a little organizing ........

tools1.jpg

tools2.jpg

tools3.jpg

tools4.jpg

tools5.jpg
    Last edited by Srode; 05-15-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12