wrong chain size and cassette damage?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

wrong chain size and cassette damage?

Hi all,

This is a question that applies to my fat bike, a Rocky Mountain Blizzard with a one-by Deore, but seems like it would apply to any bike.

Last week I discovered my fat bike had a 9-speed chain on a 10-speed cassette. It never shifted all that well and I thought it was due to the large jumps between each cog.

I replaced the chain and it still didn't shift that well. I could shift up well or down kinda so-so, so I replaced the shifter cable housing and shifter cable. I can still shift up well (pretty crisp) but not down well (lots of lag time if it does shift. Often it won't).

I'm thinking I have to replace the cassette. But before I do that, I figured I'd check with people more knowledgeable than me. Would the wrong size chain, too wide, wear/ruin the cassette in about 270 miles?

Any thoughts on other possibilities?

Thanks as always
    Last edited by bleckb; 2 Days Ago at 08:39 AM.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    No. What you're suggesting is not the cause.

If you were experiencing skipping while on any particular gear, then I'd say the cogs are worn, period, and a new cassette is in order.

You did the right thing by replacing the cable and housing. Too bad it didn't solve your problem.

I think your next approach is to verify the derailleur hanger alignment. Most cyclists don't have the tool, so I would suggest bringing it to a bike shop. If they want to replace the hanger, buy an extra to have on hand.

I would also eyeball your derailleur to ensure the cage isn't bent. If you sight it from the rear of the bike, the pulleys should line up vertically as well as point straight ahead. Placing the gears in the large ring and one of the smaller two or three cogs is the best way to do this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    That sounds like good advice. The bent hanger did cross my mind. It's not easy to tell if the derailleur is hanging straight. Could be a little out of alignment. I'll be off to the LBS early in the week.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Probably shouldn't be using a cassette on a single speed, just say'in!
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    After assessing the OP's mechanical knowledge, I'm thinking that his problem sounds like nothing more than needing a micro-adjustment on the barrel adjuster on the derailleur. Have you tried this? Turn the barrel 1/2 turn, then take it for a ride to see if it shifts better? Repeat until it doesn't, then turn back 1/2? Since I'm not certain if by 'up' you mean a higher numerical gear, or just a larger cog, I can't tell you which way to try first.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Failed assessment friend. Not sure how you came up with that, but I'm well past whatever it is you think I'm capable of.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Probably shouldn't be using a cassette on a single speed, just say'in!
    Oh. I get it. I should have written a one-by up front. Good thing some people can overlook a silly mistake and offer some insight.
    Bradley

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think U have gotten excellent advice, based on your bubble world.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    rudge? Is that you??

Russian Troll Farmer
    Just a quick thought, and something a good quality pic could answer: Did the o/s chain end up wearing down the shifting ramps on your cogs? That might explain difficulty in shifting to a larger cog than to a smaller one.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Just a quick thought, and something a good quality pic could answer: Did the o/s chain end up wearing down the shifting ramps on your cogs? That might explain difficulty in shifting to a larger cog than to a smaller one.
    That thought was what led me to ask about possibly replacing the cassette. I don't see any clear scoring or wear.

The hanger seems a likely place to look next, given that I replaced the chain, cable housing and cable, and am pretty adept at dialing in my bikes, it seems reasonable. On a Soma Doublecross I no longer have, where the hanger was part of the frame/dropout, I have a similar problem way back when. Hopefully it's a simple as getting the hanger straight.
    Bradley

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    I could shift up well or down kinda so-so, so I replaced the shifter cable housing and shifter cable. I can still shift up well (pretty crisp) but not down well (lots of lag time if it does shift. Often it won't).
    Can't hurt to check the hanger. But what you're describing says you have cable drag somewhere.

Check your cable routing. Is it internal routing? It it routed properly over the BB? Are all your housings cut square and properly deburred? Ferrules seated properly? Smooth bends?

Disconnect the cable from the derailleur. Hold the cable between your fingers and shift through the gears. With light tension on the cable, you should feel no drag when shifting down through the gears.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Banned Sock Puppet
    I vote for a derailleur hanger alignment issue. If you don't have the tool, a bike shop can do this and it shouldn't cost you too much.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Can't hurt to check the hanger. But what you're describing says you have cable drag somewhere.

Check your cable routing. Is it internal routing? It it routed properly over the BB? Are all your housings cut square and properly deburred? Ferrules seated properly? Smooth bends?.
    All checked. Routing is external. No pinches, used the "poky" tool on my cutters to be sure the openings were clear. With the new cable and housing, which is my go-to with this issue, the problem remained.
    Bradley